Meet my first kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Meet my first kitty!

I adopted her from SPCA on Saturday 8/29/09. I had my eyes on her and her brother when I first arrived at the adoption center. I went to check out other pets, by the time I got back to her. Her brother was already adopted. Little intro about her. Her name is Basil. She was born 2 month and 3 weeks from 8/29/09, so i am giving her a birthday of 6/8/09. She is a Domestic Short hair kitty. She is my first kitty, so basically I am really new to this. I am glad all her shot are up to date, and she is litter train. She is also natured/spray, and microchip.

When she first got to the house, she found a spot to hide right away, by playing with her she came out from her hiding place and started exploring the house (took about 2 hr). She is getting very comfortable lately. She took the 3 seater sofa in the house, but I basically moved her bed to the 1 seater sofa. So I can the 3 seater sofa to lay on. 2days ago, she start rubbing her head against mine, and turning over showing me her tummy. But I am not sure what i need to do when she turn over like that.

Brought her a carpet scratching post, I don't think she likes it much. She still keep on scratching on the chairs. I have tried the method clapping my hands and saying NO. But she ignored it. Not sure what else I can do to get her to stop.

I feel bad every time I leave for work, she keep circling my leg and tabbing me with her little paws. I just leave the radio on for her every time I leave. I just hope she don't get too bored, I usually leave at 6AM and come back around 4PM. Anything else I can do to keep her entertain while I am gone?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated considering this is my first kitty.

Her first night 8/29/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Cat

Re: Meet my first kitty!

She looks like such a sweetheart!

If she is ignoring the carpet scratching post and scratched a hard wood surface, it would be a good idea to get her a wooden/hard sort scratching post. Not all cats like carpet for their scratching needs.

Just letting you know that girl kitties are spayed, and boy kitties are neutered. Those are the respective terms for the removal of their reproductive organs.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:08 PM

what i lovely kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Tom Cat

What a cutie.

A nice size log makes a great scratching post for a cat that likes wood. Just make sure it is wide enough so it can't fall over.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the compliments and the info.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Cool Cat

She's very pretty! Sisal is another scratching material that you can find on cat trees and on hanging scratchers, kind of a rope thing. Every cat also seems to have a preference for vertical or horizontal scratchers, so you may have to experiment a little. We got lucky and ours like the cheap corrugated cardboard ones that you can just lay on the floor. We also have a door-knob hanging one, and Fern literally hangs from it and ends up with all four paws attached and swinging!

BTW thank you thank you for not declawing your beautiful little girl..... I'm sure she also would thank you for not amputating her 'fingers'!

You can also easily clip her claws, and the younger you get her used to this the easier it will be. I have no problems clipping Fern's claws as long as I let her inspect the clippers, but Fergie is a nightmare. Clipping her claws regularly will reduce her need to scratch, keep her from doing as much damage when she gets at the furniture, and keep your clothing intact if she kneads your legs while on your lap! (Not everyone here clips claws, and Heidi may chime in on this one, but I sleep nude and can't handle long claws kneading me in the middle of the night!)

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Heidi may chime in on this one, but I sleep nude
I'm sure she doesn't mind! She paints practically nude!

Cinderella wouldn't touch the first scratching post I bought for her. It was one of those that sits on a post on the floor. But my girls LOVE the cat tree legs. They like to stand up and put their full body weight on it. And they love the little incline scratchers you can get at the pet stores.

Basil is adorable and it sounds like she's making herself at home already.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Cool Cat

She looks as if she feels so secure and comfortable. I'm not sure what a cat wants when it rolls on its back to show the tummy. Zenobi has started doing that. This morning I offered a tummy rub but both back and front paws came up to my hand. Soft paws, no claws, so I removed my hand before that changed. A couple of times she has been on her back that way and I've stroked her side. I really think it's a way of saying they feel comfortable, content, and secure enough to put themselves in a vunerable position.

What is her coloring? I couldn't make up my mind from the pictures. Does she have color among the black?

Beautiful cat. I hope you have a long and happy life together.

JusJim
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

When my girls roll on their backs, they want their little faces and ears scritched. They'll lift their heads so I can get their necks.

But not the tummy. You'll get the entire body folding in around your hand like a little furry trap with four paws.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Premier Cat

Congrats on your addition to the family! She's just adorable and it sounds like she's getting comfortable there.

As far as keeping her entertained during the day, I wrestle with that too as a person who has one cat. They sleep most of the day, but I also make sure there are toys around, a radio on, and I often hide treats around the house for Murphy to search for.

I got reminded on this I read something in the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary newsletter that said -- since we've taken away a cat's natural inclinations to fill their time with finding food, they're essentially left with nothing to do. It would be like you going to work, finding out that someone else has done all your work, but you have to sit at your desk and do nothing all day.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page