Silly question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Silly question

My cat has a toy mouse that she carries around everywhere. Usually everywhere I am, there she is and her mouse isn't far away. He will be waiting at the front door or beside my shoes or by the bed. She doesn't want to play with this mouse, he just has to be near. I have tried replacing with a similar one because, well, this toy has seen better days, but she won't have it. It's sweet to see her carrying that mouse around, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on why she does this. No other toy gets this special treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Silly question

I think that's adorable!

Lots of cats have favorite toys. One Christmas, Cali actually got a toy she LOVED and actually ran away with it and growled if anyone came near. Didn't last long. Fickle girl.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Senior Cat

Could be telling you to play with her. Sometimes I absent mindedly stroke my gal and only later notice that she had dropped a mouse by me and sat there for a while hoping for a game before she gave up. Or a sucking thumb thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless
...or a sucking thumb thing.
I think this is pretty close. Taking that one step further, is that it seems to me liek she is a kitty fixated on being a surrogate Mother to the little toy. Does she 'play' with the toy or does she seem protective and nurturing with it? For Shasta's first year and a half, she would carry around a toy (actually a 'kitten' stuffed animal the same size as a kitten) by the nape of the neck and *cry* like a mother cat does when calling for her kittens to follow her; "Mrrrrt-mmmertle, mrrrrt-mmmertle!" which means food and/or come learn/experience this. When she couldn't find her toy she would wander around and cry; "meeeee-AH-ooooow, meeeeee-AH-ooooow" which is where are you? and/or come to me until she found it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the replies.

No, she doesn't play with this toy, she just carries it around. She seems to always know where it's at. She was spayed a little over a year ago, she's two now. If I remember correctly she was carrying it around before that. She has had her mouse since she was a kitten.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie24
No, she doesn't play with this toy, she just carries it around. She seems to always know where it's at. *snip* ...*snip* She has had her mouse since she was a kitten.
How incredibly cute!!! I have the most adorable visual in my head now. You must post a picture of her with her little mousie. Please??

----------
Renée
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

That second picture is so cool! The lighting, her pose, kind of "ghostly" image.

She's beautiful!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

I agree with Marie. Sadie is beautiful!!!

----------
Renée
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Cat

Lovely floors too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page