Kobi is the biggest chicken in the world.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Kobi is the biggest chicken in the world....

Major saga going on in my house yesterday and today....

Yesterday morning Maggie managed to get to the top of a small decorative metal shelf in my front hallway (cat tree in an unusual spot and I didn't think about it's proximity). I don't know what she did, but she managed to knock the thing half way over, wedging it against the cat tree. Crash, bang, the sound of breaking porcelain carousel horses and Maggie's panicked screeching. She was literally hanging upside down, 3 ft. off the ground by a single claw caught in the shelf. I tried to grab her to take the weight off, but she was clawing and biting. So I lowered the shelf to the floor, as soon as her weight was off it she unsnagged herself in a nanosecond and ran behind the couch.

Kobi & Holly had been in the living room when it happened and once the drama was over they were missing. They both have hiding places upstairs (Holly-my walk in closet, Kobi under the guest bed) and I figured they'd come down when they were ready. Maggie came out from behind the couch after half hour or so. I checked her over, no issues...no limp, not even a broken claw. Within another half hour, she was running around and playing.

3 hours later, no Holly or Kobi, even when I shook the dry food jar. I went upstairs looking for them, Holly came out of the closet. She was definitely still scared, but was OK and didn't try to go back in the closet. No signs of Kobi, I still wasn't worried, I know he's a chicken and he's done this before. I figured he show up for dinner, especially since he missed noon time snack.

Finally around 8 o'clock I start tearing the house apart looking for him. 19 pounds of cat had managed to get himself through the 3-4" gap between the bottom of the couch and the floor. I have no idea if he was stuck, but I had to disconnect the entire sectional couch to get him out. He was hanging behind the end table, let me reach down and pet him. I went to the kitchen for some dry food to coax him out and as I came back he bolted for the stairs. I went up, he was just hanging at the entrance to the guest room. I went down, once again figuring he'd come down in a bit. Nothing...called him for dinner, nope. Went up, he was under the bed. When I went up to bed, I took up some dry food...he was on the floor on the far side of the bed. When I walked in he bolted under the bed. I set the dry food down and went to bed.

This morning, no Kobi. Looked all over, under the bed, under the couch, in my closet...finally found him behind the desk in the office. It's an "L" shaped desk, but the corner section is just a board and it's rounded. So he jumped down behind there and there's no way out without disassembling and moving the desk. So I did that. I had closed off all the other rooms upstairs so he was hanging in the hallway. I went down and about 15 minutes later he came down very cautiously. He checked everything out, wandered around for a good half hour, came to me for petting and I thought all was well. Silly me...

He disappeared again...back under the couch. As of about 6 he hadn't come out. Now I'm getting worried because I have no idea what he's eaten since yesterday morning. The dry food I put down for him last night was mostly gone, but that could have been the girls.

So I decide I need to give him a safe haven, but where I can control where he is. So I go up and block off access to under the bed in the guest room. Put in a litter box and the cat carrier, which he sleeps in all the time. And I tear the couch apart section by section to get him out...as I lifted one, he went under the next. Got him out and he ran upstairs, got him into the bedroom and all he did was look for a way under the bed. The weird part is, he kept coming back to me and rubbing against me and wanting pets. He finally gave up trying to get under the bed. So I came down and got him some dinner. The good news is he ate about half of it, no hesitation at all. So he'll stay up there until I'm convinced he realizes that nothing is going to kill him. I have a Feliway diffuser around here, I need to find it, but honestly I've had it for today.

So, here I sit...my living room furniture is all scattered, the couch is still disassembled and I won't put it back together until I know he's over this. The desk in the office is torn apart and again, won't go back together until this is over. The guest bedroom has all kinds of storage totes blocking the bed, the nightstands turned sideways, a litterbox in there. Basically the place is a shambles...and Maggie is oblivious...happy go lucky as can be.

I need a drink...or 2....or 3....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Kobi is the biggest chicken in the world....

Such a rough time caused by two kitties!
I hope Kobi gets over his trauma soon
May I put on my bartender's cap and whip up a nice piņa colada for you?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

Better make that dos, Pina Coladas, John! Maybe even tres, or cuatro!
Oh, heck Lisa, just do one-tequila, two-tequila, three-tequila, FLOOR! and get it over with.

I'm sorry he's so freaked out. I can't think of any time I've ever had a cat freaked out that badly for that long. He must be a *really* big chicken. El gato negro es el pollo loco grande! I guess it sounds like it should resolve itself since he isn't hiding from you, and maybe just continued reassurance will help him? I cannot even *imagine* your home! I would be so frazzled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

What a nightmare!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Pina Coladas sound good...they'll go with the tropical heat wave we're having...near 50, yesterday and today. But never fear Mother Nature will smack us back to reality...Sunday night into Monday "heavy snow expected", which means something approaching a foot.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand....I went up to check on him and he was standing by the door, looking to come out. Of course I didn't let him. But....I'm beginning to wonder if maybe he's afraid of one of the girls? You know, if Maggie managed to survive the great shelf monster, then surely she must have magical powers so great that a mere boy like Kobi should be petrified of her??? I had the girls in the bedroom when he ventured downstairs late morning, but then I let them out. And they were confined again when I launched my mission to get him up into the guest room. Well, no experimenting tonight...he stays in the guest room, I don't need to spend hours looking for him in the morning and moving even more furniture around.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Cat

Oh man! What a mess! The poor baby, though. Hope everything straightens back out to normal soon!

BTW, do you all mind if I join you for a drink? We were cleaning all day, because my in-laws will be here for a couple of weeks and my FIL is allergic to cats. Oh joy! Make that two drinks if you don't mind!

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
...he was standing by the door, looking to come out. Of course I didn't let him.
Well, no experimenting tonight...he stays in the guest room, I don't need to spend hours looking for him in the morning and moving even more furniture around.
I think that is a good plan. Let him stew for a while and go stir crazy until he *wants* to come back out and re-join the world, because while his spare bedroom was 'safe' ... now it's boring and he will want to come back out.

Any way you can block off some of those areas? Maybe not the couch, but can you cover/block that curved area of the desk so he can't get down in there again? I've done that with my two bookcases that are in a corner - blocked that hole. Of course, I didn't think to DO that until I had placed them and was unpacking the books into them and Shasta decided to jump down and investigate The New, Deep, Dark Cave and then couldn't jump back out! She was repeatedly jumping up and sliding down, crying and crying while I was hauling books out like a MadWoman to remove enough weight so I could tip the bookcase and free her from The Now Undesireable Cave. Whew!
Scrap of wood. Cordless drill. Couple long screws. THAT won't be a problem again!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Cat

Maybe he got hit by something falling?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless
Maybe he got hit by something falling?
I'm pretty sure that he didn't...he wasn't anywhere near it and didn't get near it when I was trying to free Maggie. And the debris was confined to a very small area, didn't find anything more than 2-3 feet from the immediate area.

He met me at the door again when I went in to serve breakfast and started chowing down immediately. It looks like he slept on the bed, not in the carrier, so that's a good sign that he was willing to be out in the open. I think he's in there for at least the day. I'm going to bring Maggie to the door and crack it to see if he's scared of her before I consider letting him out.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Premier Cat

Good plan! I didn't even think of that possibility!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page