Standing at the threshold of catdom - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Standing at the threshold of catdom

My kitty is a siamese mix about 9 months old and starting to go through changes. She's my first pet of the feline persuasion and I adore her. She used to follow me around, sleep on my lap or lay next to me in bed, and purr a lot. Now she's more aloof, finds random places to hang out/sleep, and doesn't jump on my lap anymore. And she doesn't come to greet me when I come home or do that "leg rub" thing characteristic of most cats. Sometimes it seems like she doesn't want me to pet or hold her at all. Is this kitty teenage rebellion? I'm just having trouble coming to terms with it and thought understanding why it happens might help. Is it something that I did? Like does she resent me for ignoring her or leaving her alone at home when I go to work, am I losing my "appeal," or has she simply gotten used to me being gone? My family had a puppy/dog before and we never had to deal with this. Now I live by myself and seeing the transition of kitten to cat happen before my eyes is heartbreaking. I want my lovebug back! I feel nostalgic and need advice from experienced/veteran cat owners about what changes to expect, if there are ways to hold on to her kittenhood, and if not, what I can do to savor these swiftly fleeting days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Standing at the threshold of catdom

Is she fixed yet?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Play with her as much as you can, that is a great way to help maintain an aspect of kittenhood with your cat and keep her youthful. I am going through a similar "teenage rebellion" with my Chica (born in March 09). She used to be very cuddly, but for the past month or two has been aloof, 'sassy', and more independent. But as we speak, she is on the bed with me purring so do not worry. I do believe they go through some sort of teenage years which includes a rebellious, independent sassy stage. In the wild, it is at this age that independence really matters, as many cats this age either make it or break it out there in the wild so to speak. My adult cat went through this stage as well, and I can assure you that the cuddles will return. There may be a few nights where she wants to sleep alone, and just try to understand that and just know she will be back! We wish they could stay kittens however, but as they get older it is a joy to experience their individual personalities develop. It's just sad because they are so cute and small and dependent at us at that kitten age, it is hard to let go sometimes! We wish they could stay kittens forever! (except after they've been climbing the curtains and bouncing off walls!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
I'm just having trouble coming to terms with it and thought understanding why it happens might help. Is it something that I did? Like does she resent me for ignoring her or leaving her alone at home when I go to work
Ruin, my Siamese gets extremely upset if I work more than usual or God forbid when I go out of town for a couple days. She will ignore me entirely, making me give her lots of yummy treats, talk baby talk to her, and absolutely shower her with affection for awhile before she gives in. Siamese thrive on attention from their people and will most definitely show negative changes in behavior if they aren't getting it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes they just go through phases...no discernible reason. Just continue interacting with her, hand feeding treats is a good way to get her to focus on you. Talk to her, play with her, pet her whenever you walk by. Cats are kind of self fulling prophecies...if you believe they're independent non-interactive creatures, they will be. But if you believe they're interactive, friendly, snuggly creatures and treat them accordingly, they will be.

Also...where are you located? If you're in a southern hemisphere climate where it's now summer, that may be a factor. I notice my cats are a lot less snuggly in summer...just too hot...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I live in Chicago, smack dab in the middle of the city. She's a house cat, but our apartment's small and bare. I can't wait to get a bigger one, come marriage, and have normal house things she can interact with. At this point there's no intellectual stimulation. She has toys of the ball, mouse, sock varieties, but there's no room for climbing, chasing, or exploring. Also no cable TV. When it gets warmer I want to take her to the park (on a leash)...or would that be weird? I'm definitely having trouble letting go of her pocket-size and kitten dependence, but you guys are right...I didn't know cats had distinct personalities! And I will definitely try to give her more attention when I'm home. I talk to her sometimes, but she just glares at me. I have trouble deciphering her repertoire of meows. I mean, sometimes it sounds angry, but I only know three needs: eat, drink, play. If those are satisfied, what could she be saying?

Here's a pic of her two months ago. That black thing coming out the side of my head is her tail.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Almost forgot! Her name is Cookie

and she's getting fixed Thursday. (Hallelujah)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

With siamese, you are going to find that the normal -eat, drink, play- repertoire does not limit the reasons a siamese will find to talk. My own cat, who I believe may have some siamese in him somewhere (or at least has the tendencies) talks to me all day. He greets me, and responds to my voice with meows, for no other reason that I can discern except to be conversational. I actually have come to embrace it and enjoy it greatly. Hopefully it is something that will bring you joy as well! If she's meowing for no apparent reason, give her eye contact, speak to her, be enthusiastic... they thrive on that sort of attention.

The leash thing would work, however you may need to begin training her soon. If she isn't exposed to the outdoors at a young age, and gotten used to car ride and strange places, there is a good chance she will never be comfortable on those outings as an adult. Instead of enjoying the outdoors, she could be afraid, panicked, and fearing impending dangers from everything that moves.

To spice up her environment, there are many things that don't take up too much space- Carboard boxes and paper bags are great fun. You can make her little "forts" to toss toys inside, and I am sure she would enjoy hiding inside. Leave treats all around your house when you are gone to provide a "scavenger hunt". Once your kitty gets the idea, she will be occupied looking all over for these treats. Nito scarcely leaves one behind when I leave him scavenger hunts!

By the way, she is sooo pretty!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Cookie is adorable! Her head shape and ear set remind me of an Egyptian Mau. Rachandnito is right, a Siamese needs no reason to talk other than being chatty! Talk to her when she meows, I bet that will go a long way towards bringing her out of her shell. Do you have any feather on a stick toys? They are great for interactive play.

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Cat Addict

She's a cutey!

Doran went through what I called a 'too cool for kisses' stage. He had always been a little love bug, but he hit 9 months and was too cool for me for about 2 months. He would still come and sit on me once in a while, but he didn't do his special mum purrs, or snuggle his little head under my chin, ect. He grew out of it two months later...now he comes and is just like he used to...maybe a little more so if anything.

Muffin had a very brief similar period...but he's such a suck that it only lasted 2 weeks or so. I guess he just doesn't care about impressing his buddies, lol.

I call it the 'too cool' phase, because Doran would duck from my kisses, and give me a look like "Mooom! I'm too old for that!" lol... So i did it more cause it was the cutest little annoyed face!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page