adopting 2 cats. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

adopting 2 cats.

hi ALL!
I am adopting 2 cats. Both are around 1 yr old. 1 sterilised male and one sterilised female.
both are very nice gentle and social cats. the male is here with me now, very tame and gentle but terrified of the kids.
the female is coming today.
both cats have lived with other cats and dogs but their owners needed to get rid of them and I was so sad to hear that they would be put down if nobody would take them.
anyway.. my question is.. has anybody got any experience with this?? I am a bit nervous I have to say.

any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Cat

Re: adopting 2 cats.

Congrats on adopting two needy kitties and welcome to CF! How long has the male been with you? Cats don't necessarily take to change quickly, so it can take time. We have several cats and not all of them have lived with dogs or children prior to coming here. We have a 3yr old child and she knows to not mess with the kitties when they are eating, drinking, sleeping, or using the litter boxes. She is allowed to pet them and play with them (with the wand toys), but on their terms. At our house, we allow the cats to come around at their own pace. This could mean a day or two, but, then again, it could mean a couple of months or even longer. Since the cats are only about 1yr old, they should adjust just fine, but it can still take some time. You'll find a wealth of information throughout this forum, so sit back and enjoy your stay!

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thanks so much for your reply Erica!
I am so glad to read that u think they should be ok.
We got the male cat on Friday. he is fine once the kids are not around.. and is getting a little bit more social every day. I am in love with him already tho, coz when he comes out in the evening he loves to be petted and has been lying on his back with his legs in the air and he even slept on my bed the second night he was here. all the way til my 5 yr old came into our bed. then he sniffed her head and then slept on the floor. but he has generally been hiding while the kids are up.
the female cat is here now and she seems alot more social. she is so beautiful, black, brown and while all over. I dont think I have even seen anything like her.
they had a brief meeting and there was a bit of hissing and they ran in the opposite directions. but both as I said, are used to other animals... so I REALLY hope it works out for us.
my kids are 13, 5 and 2. the 2 yr old is the only one who might try some funny stuff.. but the other 2 are great. We had another cat and at the vets advice, we had her put to sleep last week. she was only 10 months old and I am absolutely devastated.
But she was very aggressive towards us and was just getting worse poor Sasha. so I knew of these 2 cats whose owners couldnt keep them anymore.. so I wanted to much to rescue them.. so.. as u can see I did

thank you for ur warm welcome! and I am looking forward to being a part of CF :=)

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
he even slept on my bed the second night he was here. all the way til my 5 yr old came into our bed. then he sniffed her head and then slept on the floor.
respectful kitty.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_Star
thanks so much for your reply Erica!
I am so glad to read that u think they should be ok.
We got the male cat on Friday. he is fine once the kids are not around.. and is getting a little bit more social every day. I am in love with him already tho, coz when he comes out in the evening he loves to be petted and has been lying on his back with his legs in the air and he even slept on my bed the second night he was here. all the way til my 5 yr old came into our bed. then he sniffed her head and then slept on the floor. but he has generally been hiding while the kids are up.
the female cat is here now and she seems alot more social. she is so beautiful, black, brown and while all over. I dont think I have even seen anything like her.
they had a brief meeting and there was a bit of hissing and they ran in the opposite directions. but both as I said, are used to other animals... so I REALLY hope it works out for us.
my kids are 13, 5 and 2. the 2 yr old is the only one who might try some funny stuff.. but the other 2 are great. We had another cat and at the vets advice, we had her put to sleep last week. she was only 10 months old and I am absolutely devastated.
But she was very aggressive towards us and was just getting worse poor Sasha. so I knew of these 2 cats whose owners couldnt keep them anymore.. so I wanted to much to rescue them.. so.. as u can see I did

thank you for ur warm welcome! and I am looking forward to being a part of CF :=)

Amy
You're welcome, Amy. I'm sorry to hear about the one that had to be PTS. There is a ton of information on introductions that may help you. I don't always follow those down to every little detail, but it depends on a lot of factors on how I introduce. As far as hissing, don't worry too much about. Teya is the queen around here and she doesn't hesitate to let everyone know it. Even though she is used to children, dogs, and cats, I know to expect a minimum of 1-2 weeks of her hissing, growling, and smacking at any newcomers. I just ignore her and go on, unless there was to be bloodshed, but it's always been just a lot of noise.

With your 2yr old, make sure that you are consistent on teaching him/her on how to properly behave around the cats. Yes, a 2yr old can be taught. From the time my daughter was old enough to reach out her hand, she has been taught how to pet them. After being involved in rescue for many years, one of my biggest pet peeves is parents not working with their children. I grew up in a multi-pet household and I want my daughter to not only love animals, but to respect them. She understands that she isn't supposed to pick up the dog or the cats, plus the things I mentioned before. She doesn't bother them when they are eating, drinking, sleeping, using the litter boxes, etc. I've had a number of people ask me how I do it. My response is always the same...with love, patience, and consistency. Of course at her age, she still needs reminders ever so often, but that's where we just continue to be consistent. She loves to help me groom and feed them, so she's learning that as well.

You'll do just fine, and you will meet a lot of wonderful people around here that are always willing to give opinions on different situations.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page