Giving medication? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Giving medication?

Can anyone help please, I am presently having to try and give my 11 year old tom cat Sammy, medication, believe me I`ve so far tried all different kind of methods but meet with failure every time.
He is very fly, and always seems to know if anything has been added to his food and will just walk away and leave it.

This latest try, I have been breaking the tablet (his doseage is 1 and 1/2 tablets twice daily) but wihout success. His problem is, he seems to have had an itchy spot or whatever, just beneath his testicles, and has been licking the spot all the time, resulting in hair loss and leaving the area raw and sore looking, our vet tells me that this is related to his allergy, he is apparently allergic to flea bites, not that we have any fleas in the house, or in our new addition Sooty, who is just turned one year old, I groom her every day, and so far without any sign of flea dirt. Perhaps he may have been bitten by a flea when outside, I just do`nt know.

Anyway, he had now a large area without fur and very sore and red looking, My son took him to the vet yesterday and came home with prescribed antibiotics plus a cream to rub on the area after washing with a liquid prescribed by the vet.
He is now wearing a collar to prevent him licking the area.
The main problem now is in gtting him to eat the tablet, I have tried crushing them up and rolling them in butter before adding to his food-not successful, he still manages to detect it and leaves the food. Have tried breaking the tablet in very small pieces and again coating with butter, still no success.

I have now run out of ideas of any method to medicate him, have even tried placing the tablet in a special syringe and getting it in the back of his throat, the idea being hopefully that he will then swallow, - again no success, the tablet will be found later on the floor!

Can anyone help, can anyone suggest any other method that may be successfull ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Giving medication?

The way vets do it (that I know of anyway), is to make sure you block him from behind in the crook of your left elbow (because they'll always try to back out of it) and gently lift his chin towards the ceiling with the left hand, at which point he should open his mouth and then slip in the pill with the right hand and try to make sure he closes his mouth before letting her go (right-handed description). Probably easier once hes relaxing next to you on the couch and youre stroking his neck anyway . Ive only tried that once and it worked like a dream, but that was on a lil kitty so I dont know how much harder that may be on a tough old tom...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Faithless for the tip, although I have tried this method also, again without success, some time later the pill will be found on the floor!
I have just now given him the steroid tablet prescribed by the vet, this tablet was a very small one and this time he seems to have swallowed it, however, the antibiotic still remains
inside the piece of beef dripping it had been wrapped in

Please keep any tips coming that may be out there, I will try anything I can to help him
I did try leaving the collar off for a few mins, but almost immediately he began to lick the sore part again, so had to put it back on him, poor Sammy, he looks so depressed and miserable.
It is rather strange though, when I washed the sore part with the liquid provided by the vet, he actually was purring, then I applied a layer of the cream, this seems to help also, but still does NOT prevent him from licking it (perhaps it tastes good!)
Anyway, I`ll keep on trying anything to help
Its heartbreaking to see him so miserable and unhappy.
Our one year old seems to be upset also, she has bonded so well with Sammy and obviously does not like to see him so unhappy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Cool Cat

A different method works for each of my cats. With Teddy, the best method to work with him is to get a towel, turn him into a "purrito" leaving his head out of one end, tuck him under my right arm, prop his mouth open pop the med syringe or pil in, and hold my hand over his nose and mouth (just so he doesn't spit it out not so he can't breathe) so he has to swollow it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Premier Cat

How To Medicate A Cat: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50199

Can you ask for the antibiotic to be in liquid form so you could scruff and dropper it in?
Myself, when pilling difficult cats, I've had success with the rubber-tipped pill-gun:

I still need to have a great hold on the cat in order to be able to lift the muzzle pointed towards the sky, open mouth and insert the pill gun to the far back of the throat.
When pilling cats with my finger, I again grasp the head and (gently) guide it up/back until the muzzle is pointed towards the sky and when the mouth opens, I use my forefinger (pill on the slightly damp end of my finger so it sticks and won't fall off) and enter it into their mouth from the side, right over/between the molars and use my finger to push it as far back in the throat as I quickly/gently can. I *only* do this when my fingernails are clipped short. The cat may be able to close their mouth onto your finger but it won't have enough strength to really *bite* you, so do not be fearful of sticking your finger in there, getting the pill where it needs to be and then gently getting your finger out of their mouth. I do *not* want to pull or scrape my finger against their teeth and hurt them with a fast-jerking move.
Good luck w/ your kitty.
h =^..^=

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Cool Cat

oh, I forgot to add the fact that my other cat, Leo is really hard to get my hands on and freaks out when held too close. The best method for medicating him is to corner and scruff him, then give the meds.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Thank you Faithless for the tip, although I have tried this method also, again without success, some time later the pill will be found on the floor!
Maybe immediately follow that up with a little treat in the same position to make him swallow?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

These people are pulling your leg. It's not possible to get a pill into a cat. I've proven it.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
These people are pulling your leg. It's not possible to get a pill into a cat. I've proven it.
Nah, I think you just have a hard headed cat.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Cat

Anyone attempted catnipping a pill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page