Painting with cats in the house - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Painting with cats in the house

Hello all, need some input here. I am in the process of painting my staircase. I've painted the risers and next comes the treads. Here is my question. How in the heck can I keep the kitties off the treads as they dry. I will be painting one tread at a time waiting 24 hours then on to the next.
thanx

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Painting with cats in the house

Do you have a room or rooms you can close your kitties off in? If not you can create an area by getting 3 baby gates, stacking them one on top of the other at the bottom or top of steps (were ever you are keeping the cats) or in a hallway to keep the cats away from the steps. I would make the bottom gate one of gates that has a door in it like the one pictured below so that you can get through without taking the gates down every time. Otherwise, I don't think there are any other good options besides having somone foster your kitties for the duration of the project.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Tom Cat

Agh I have the same problem. I want to build a coffee table today but I have to paint the scrap wood. The only place i have to paint it is smack dab in the middle of the living room... right next to my cat's litterbox, food and scratching post.

The only room I can close off can't fit all his stuff. Agh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
The only room I can close off can't fit all his stuff. Agh.
When Teddy would get in the way I would shut him in the laundry room which only had room for his litter box and food. After I let him back out I would give him a really rigorous play session to get the "Oneries" that had built up in his system out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot
How in the heck can I keep the kitties off the treads as they dry. I will be painting one tread at a time waiting 24 hours then on to the next.
thanx
I *love* to paint. Walls, ceilings, trim, furniture, car engines/parts, fences ... just anything, really. I like watching the color go on and look clean and crisp. My preferred painting time is between 10pm and 2am, when everyone is asleep and the phone won't ring.
I have never painted a floor. The closest I've come is painting the fireplace mantle and I had to keep the kitties off of the top until it dried. I used a foam roller and it was *awesome* putting smooth coverage everywhere with no paintbrush fiber streaks or brushstrokes. It also dried quickly and I used a small fan on it. I'd say it was dry in only an hour.

I would suggest closing the cats in a room with food, water and litterbox. You bring whatever you're gonna need for the next day down from upstairs and then start painting the top-most riser and continue painting all the way down to the bottm. Have fans set up to blow on the risers overnight. By the morning, everything should be properly dried and/or you can keep everyone contained for most of the day and by afternoon everything should be set and ready for use.
I cannot help but think that dragging the project out one-step-at-a-time is going to take forever and will require a LOT of confinement for your cats. I'd much rather knock it out all at one sitting to create the least amount of confinement inconvenience and stress.
Good luck!
heidi =^..^=

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Cool Cat

I think that the most I would drag it out would be every other step. Do the odd steps one day and do the even steps the next. That way you can still climb the dry stairs by stepping 2 at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page