Cats and Hamsters? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Cats and Hamsters?

Just wondering if anyone has got hamsters/gerbils etc
in their home and how does the cat cope?
If the hamster is in a room that the cat isn't allowed in will it be ok
or will it drive the cat crazy because he might smell it?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Cats and Hamsters?

I responded to this question in your "Meow" post but I will reitterate what I said there in here

Quote:
I had a rat in the same house as my cat for a while. Teddy was more interested in the rat's food than the rat. I think that if you keep the hamster on a dresser and securely fasten the lid and fasten the cage so it cannot be knocked off the dresser that the hamster will be just fine.
You can also teach the cat to stay away from the hamster by consistent re-enforcement of the rule that they can't be on the same surface as the cage as well as keeping the cat out of the room where the hamster is when you are not around.

I don't think that the smell will drive the cat crazy. But keeping the cage very clean could help with that. Cats aren't always the vicious small critter hunters that they are depicted to be. If you get a cat that wasn't a barn cat or a ratter you shouldn't have too hard of time training the cat to stay away

Best of luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Tom Cat

I used to own rats, and my older cat didnt bother them in the cage, or even approach the cage. When I brought my kitten home he became obbsessed and I had to put the rats in another room that I kept closed at all times. With hamsters, if they cat does get obbsessed with them and puts its paws against the cage, the hamster will bite your cat. As hamster cages are generally small, a determined kitty will knock it down, potentially killing the hamster. So either keep the cage in a seperate room, or like raecarrow said, fasten the lid and cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM
P&R
Tom Cat

I don't have one NOW but I have twice in the past. The first time I had 2 mice and 3 cats (all which stayed at my, now, Ex's house). One day one of the mice got out and one of the cats actually stood in front of the mouse, hiding it from the other two cats and hissing at them (the cats) to get away from the mouse. It was like her baby, lol. The other (Alizea) actually killed one of our hamsters.

Mommy to Justice, Emily & Isabella (humans), Scarlett & Sasha (doggies)and Rosalie & Zoey (kitties).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Cat

I don;t have small mammals, but I do have a very active finch. The bird lives in a large cage in the main living space. He is constanly in motion and makes a lot of noise, for a tiny bird. Both of my guys expressed some initial curiosity but now largely ignore the bird. Franny now uses the cage as a steeping stone to one of her favorite places, without paying the bird any mind. Just make sure you keep the cage closed. I used to have two finches...

Curiosity

Stepping Stone

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Jr. Cat

My house is ruled by both cats and rats and honestly the rats pose a greater threat! My ratties live in huge Critter Nation and Ferret Nation cages that would be impossible for the cats to knock over or open the doors of. The cats love watching the rats, but they know not to try to get them thru the bars 1) because I've taught them not to 2) because the rats always reach their little arms out and try to grab any tails or ears that get too close. Rosie my kitten actually got a nasty bite on the tip of her tail last week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Jr. Cat

I used to own rats and cats in the same house. The cats would usually leave the rats alone, although, my one cat, Oscar used to like to sleep on top of their cage....

Once we were gone for an entire day, and we came home to little blood spots all over the walls.

One of our rats had taken a chunk out of Oscars ear!!

I think the cat will be fine if you have a hamster in the house. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page