Total newbie to kitties! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Total newbie to kitties!

Hi all,

I lived with a friend who had a cat, up till that point I was a dog person hated cats but I fell in love with that silly cat

I moved out and totally miss her So...I've made the decision to get a kitty

I just have a few questions for all you cat gurus out there if you wouldn't mind.

Lets say I live on a main road so I'd like a house cat, I have someone else who lives here who is allergic to a lot of things so it probably has to be a short haired cat. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I hear that different breeds have different personality traits from birth. I just want a really friendly cat. I hear Burmese are very friendly but from the looks of them they are, bless them, quite hairy. I then looked at Scottish fold kittens which again are gorgeous but I hear they are susceptible to many illnesses? Is this true? (I have also seen there are not many breeders for them in the UK, is this a bad sign) OK, last question the other sort of cat I love is on "Youtube" I'm not sure of forum etiquette so I wont post the link but the video is called "stealth cat" I'm sure some of you have already seen it, the user is Japanese I've mailed him but he doesn't reply, possibly as my japanese language skill doesn't exist

If anyone cares, I'm going to steal a name I saw on the internet last year hes going to be called "Chairman Meow"

By the way, I am a guy, but for some reason whenever I talk about cats I end up sounding like a little girl, I cant help it sorry but kitties are sooo cute!! OK deep breaths count to ten.....

Thanks in advance, I'm sure my questions are dumb and have been asked before but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Cat

Re: Total newbie to kitties!

Welcome to the world of kitties! I too was a cat hater, but I've fallen in love with them.

Firstly, youshould consider getting a cat from a shelter, rather than a specfic breed. Since you don't have an actual bred of cat in mind, and simply want a friendly cat, a shelter cat would be perfect for you. Those working at the shelter should be able to tell you which cats are friendly.

www.petfinder.com is a great place ot start looking for cats in your area that are up for adoption.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Tom Cat

Just wanted to welcome you to CF and to the world of cats

I definitely recommend Petfinder as a great place to start browsing available cats in your area. I'd keep in mind though that if your area is anything like mine, it isn't always up-to-date!

The thing I suggest is going to your local shelter and browsing. When I was contemplating adopting a cat, I visited my local SPCA about 3 times. It wasn't even that I feel in love with a particular cat and kept going back, but it was a great way for me to get acclimated with the shelter environment, observe the conditions in which the animals were kept, and really think about whether it was right for me. I couldn't be happier!

If allergies are a concern, I'm sure others will have opinions and suggestions. One member (raecarrow) I'm sure will chime in, as she adopted a pair of Bengals for they were a type of cat that she was not allergic to. For some reason it seems like certain breeds (or even certain individual cats!) affect people more than others. I wouldn't consider myself to be an allergic person, but when I took in my foster cat I noticed that I was getting a bit itchy each time I spent time with her, especially if I touched my face. I think each cat carries its own allergens and your body takes some time to adapt. Just my experience.

Regardless, keep us posted!

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Jr. Cat

Hi and welcome to the world of cats! As far as specific breeds, what characteristics are you looking for? I'm sure people will be able to suggest breeds. There really is a huge difference in personality from one breed to the next. Also Burmese are a shorthair breed, were you wanting a cat with extremely shorthair like a Siamese? Also, if you are going to get a purebred make sure you research, research, research! It was 9 months from the time I began looking for breeders until I brought my kitten home, and I am so glad that I took my time finding the right breeder. My Ruin is the absolute perfect cat for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Cat

Hi and welcome to CF! First off, just remember that no question is dumb at all. Even if it's something that we've already answered to others, we can try to help point you in the right direction.

I couldn't help but laugh when you said that you start sounding like a little girl when you talk about the kitties. I catch my husband baby talking to ours sometimes. He was the cat person when we got together. I was always a dog person, but it wasn't because I disliked cats. Actually, I loved them, but I suffered from severe allergy issues as a child and couldn't be around them. Fortunately, as I got older those allergies diminished. There is a lot of information on this forum about allergies. When you have a chance, go to the search option and look up allergies. I know I posted a few things just recently that I do to help family members that visit and are allergic to cats, such as bathing or rinsing my cats off once a month, vacuuming/sweeping regularly, keeping all litterboxes clean, running a HEPA filter, etc. Also, keep in mind that just because a cat is short-haired, it doesn't mean that the cat won't cause allergy issues. The allergens isn't the cat, but the dander.

I agree with checking your local shelters and rescues. We have several cats and each one of them has a story behind them. Some of them are extremely sweet and loving, one keeps to herself, one is stand-offish when it comes to picking him up or petting him, some are "talkers", some are playful...you get the idea, I'm sure. You'll, also, find by visiting with cats and kittens, you'll find the right one. It can take time, but it's worth the wait. Cats tend to pick their owners...not always, but a lot of the time. When I lost my cat, Smuckers, after having her for 11yrs, it took me 3yrs to find that special connection. Even though I love cats, it took that long to find that specific connection that I was looking for. Now, Queen Teya (as she is typically known as) could never be any closer to what I was looking for. She is my baby, and even with as many as we have and I have a bond with each and every one of them, she comes out on top. It doesn't mean that I love the others any less, it just means that she and I share a special bond.

Ok, enough rambling. Once again, WELCOME! Good luck on your search and stick around for awhile. I'm sure you'll meet some wonderful people and find tons of useful information.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page