Kittens pupil tinted red - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Kittens pupil tinted red

One of Molly's kitten's eye's pupil is tinted red while the other eye is normal. Should I be concerned? The kitten is three weeks old today and it has been like this since the day she opened her eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Kittens pupil tinted red

Vet check for a definitive answer, though I know that cats with different color eyes reflect differently. Blue eyes reflect red, other colors reflect yellow/green ... but all kitten eyes are blue and then change to their adult color as they near several months' age. Only the meezers and some Dominant White cats keep their blue eyes. I wonder if your kitten will have odd-colored (one blue, one different) eyes as an adult?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

This kitten is a white little girl with a small black dot on her head. I've heard that the red tint means the eyes will stay blue.. I was kind of wondering if since it's just the one eye that maybe she will have two different color eyes? Hm.. That'd be cool

I'm just worried about possible blindness in the future? In the one eye? She seems to see fine now and I think the pupil reacts normally to light.. I haven't seen anything strange..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry, if you are concerned about vision problems, that is the type of issue that will require veterinary expertise, not my imperfect general knowledge ... which happens to be *very* minimal in regards to eye and vision issues.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I've taken her twice, but since she is a foster and not my own pet, she is dealt with by veterinary technicians who have no idea what it is and say it doesn't matter right now anyway.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, then I wouldn't worry about it. I think Vet-Techs get to see so many things that if there were a problem they would have recognized it as such and called it to the Vet's attention. If they haven't done so, she must be a normal kitty with her eyes just doing their thing. Your description of her being white with a dot of color on her head, sounds to me, like she could very well *be* an odd-eyed kitty and the red-tint (reflecting) would be normal for her.

Can you check out Rach and Nito's siggie or avatar? Her white kitty has odd colored eyes and they *do* reflect differently to camera flash.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

I hope this shows up, I copy/pasted Rachel's avatar pic of Nito:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh thank you for that pic. My cat, Mikah (not any of my fosters.. my actual kitty) is cross eyed and when I take photos of her with flash one eye is always blue while the other is yellow.. In reality her eyes are green.

The reason I was concerned is because the first vet tech said it could be possible that she goes blind in that eye.. But she also said that she really wasn't sure and don't hold her to that...

I've also heard white cats with blue eyes are more likely to be deaf.. but after clapping and making noises I've found that Izzie's (Izzie is the kitty with the red tinted eye) ears do react to sound.. and if I make a sound when she's sleeping it will wake her.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds to me like you're pretty knowledgeable about the white, blue/odd-eyes and deafness. With deafness ruled out I think it would be highly unlikely that the kitty would have any vision issues simply from having different colored eyes. The Vet Tech may have been offering too many possibilities without remarking on how *remote* and uncommon those possibilities could be.
Man, I *hate* it when professionals casually drop bits of scary info like that. I mean, we're already at the Doctor/Vet Office because we're concerned about something, lets not scare us any more than necessary, okay?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I agree.. But this vet tech knows me well (I used to work at that shelter) and knows that I'm not going to believe everything she tells me.. and she said it in a way that was like "I'm really not sure if this is true, but I THINK I've heard that it cant lead to blindness.."... And I said "Well it sounds like this isn't an emergency that needs immediate attention, so I'll have the vet look at her when I take them in to get fixed."

Also in case you're interested, here's a photo of my kitties eyes with the flash camera.

Freeeakkkkyyyy.. I've had a vet look at her and he said it was probably just because both of her eyes sit at different angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page