DIY people...Have any of you used outdoor branches? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

DIY people...Have any of you used outdoor branches?

I've been playing with an idea and I'm not sure if it's a good one. When we had that bad snowstorm one of our Bradford Pear trees split. Since Bradford Pears are not that strong, it just couldn't hold up to the weight of the snow. Anyway, we have several nice size branches. I was wondering if these might be able to be used as natural scratchers for the cats. I've got some pieces that are large enough to make a nice sized cat tree, but I didn't know if any of you had experience with this or what you thought of the idea. Right now the wood is still wet, so it will have to dry out if we do use it, but I wanted your opinions. I don't want anything that could harm the kitties.

Here is a picture of a few branches we have... (these are not light-weight pieces)

What do you think? Get rid of the wood or put it to use?

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Cat Addict

Re: DIY people...Have any of you used outdoor branches?

I would spray it down with vinegar, pretty good. Then let it sit in a basement or garage for a few days. Then rinse them good, and use it! Fruit woods are great for pets, and they seem to like the smell better, not to mention it shouldn't be toxic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Tom Cat

I would leave them out to dry very very well before you start working with them, but after that go nuts I'm sure your cats will love the rustic and outdoorsy playhouse, haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Cat

That's a great idea! Great that you are using something that would have been waste otherwise! And I am sure the kitties will love it! Our end tables are made from branches with the bark left on them and they are the preferred scratching posts for my cats!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucille & Koko
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you for your input. It will definitely have to dry out before we use it, but I think we'll see what kind of cat tree we can put together when it does. I always keep apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and even GSE on hand, so I'll make sure that it's treated organically so there are no bugs or anything. Thanks again!

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Tom Cat

Last year a friend made a scratch post for me from a couple of logs of dried firewood doweled together for the garage kitties, Mikayla and Elijah. They love it and use it all the time but it does make a mess. It's just over 2 ft but the next will definitely be taller as they can't stretch out full length. Using branches in a cat tree is such a great idea. I'm enjoying seeing your projects.

The well worn post, note mess below.

Elijah is just too long for this one but he enjoys it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Cat

Wow! Elijah looks SOOO much like my cat Zaya from the back. I love that pattern =)

The branches sound like a great idea to me. I've been thinking about doing something like that for Zaya too because the commercial stuff is so expensive if it's any good. So why not do it yourself AND have it all natural? I think especially for indoor only kitties, it gives them a chance to experience outside things that they're missing out on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEngelw
The branches sound like a great idea to me. I've been thinking about doing something like that for Zaya too because the commercial stuff is so expensive if it's any good. So why not do it yourself AND have it all natural? I think especially for indoor only kitties, it gives them a chance to experience outside things that they're missing out on.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to use something that was too fragile for rambunctious kitties. LOL I try to give them a huge variety of things to climb on, sleep on, play on or in, things to bat around, windows to look out, etc. They're just a little bit spoiled.

- Unknown
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

They' not spoiled, you're enriching their lives.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
They' not spoiled, you're enriching their lives.
Thank you. I do the best I can for them. We don't live in a huge house or have lots of money, but anything I can do to make them happier is all that matters. They're my babies. I talked to a lady the other day and her cat wouldn't have anything to do with a couple of things she'd bought for him, so she asked me if I wanted them. Well, I'm always open to new things for them, so I naturally said, "Sure". Here is what she gave me....

First, a pirate ship that the kittens love!

And then, one other piece...

I think Siana approves of both. Even Queen Teya likes the pirate ship..

- Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page