Cody is FOUND! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cody is FOUND!

Hi Cat Forum Friends:

Sadly, my Cody has been lost for one week today. I have had him since I was 17 and adore him. He's indoor only, but finds it fun to slip out once in a while. Usually he makes a mad dash for the driveway and hides under the car and refuses to come out. I think it's like a game for him, he never goes far! A few times, he has snuck out unnoticed but has reappeared in the driveway, backyard and front doorstep shortly thereafter. We think he slipped out last Thursday night or Friday morning, but aren't exactly sure of when. The gardener came on Friday morning and Cody is absolutely PETRIFIED of anything noisy; cars, leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer etc. We're guessing he got spooked and bolted.

Here's what we've done so far: We called the microchip company and had them issue an alert, and called and/or visited every vet in the area. We have visited shelters daily, even driving to one about 25 miles away. Very, very sadly, we have watched the dead animal lists for the LA county animal patrol as well and thank goodness, have seen nothing matching his description. We have posted several ads on craigslist and also some other pet locator sites. Every street in our neighborhood has at least 4-5 flyers. Every house in a 3 block radius got a flyer in their mailbox (about 100 houses). All of our close neighbors are on patrol. I have walked and driven around the neighborhood with a flashlight and walked through all the nearby alleys at night with a flashlight.

I want to expand my mailbox flyer area, and made another 200 flyers today. I am just so heartbroken and anxious thinking about Cody. We are currently having extremely bad weather in LA, and I'm sure if he's outside, the thunder is scaring him and I hope he's not wet and hungry

Any ideas you could offer would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Anyone who has gone through a similar experience would be even better.

Btw, although he is microchipped, he isn't collared because he is supposed to be indoors only. Sebastian is used to wearing a collar, so I make him and now I wish I had made Cody too

Robin and...

Last edited by marie73; 10-15-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Cody is lost :( Any tips?

*closes eys to send good thoughts and best wishes for locating Cody*

Mister escaped only 10 days after we had moved across the country, so NOTHING was familiar to him. We were staying in an RV at an RV park, waiting for our house purchase to close. He had been outside with supervision maybe 3 times, for about 15min, total. The night he was lost, we also had a terrible thunder/lightening storm.

KEEP HOPE!

I did everything you did; flyers, vet offices, county animal control and knocking on all doors, in addition to paying for a space w/photo in the local paper. I had given up hope/looking after 2 weeks. I was certain he had died.
Mister was missing for 29 days and I found him by accident.
I just happened to see him cross the road in front of my car, and recognized him! When I called his name, he stopped and looked at me like he couldn't believe his ears. I threw my Corvette in park and leapt out, leaving it running, door open and in the middle of the residential street so I could go get Mister. He had vision issues and just didn't trust his senses and we went round and round a tree and propane tank until I finally stopped, crouched down and let him come to me. When he did, I scruffed him and plopped him in my car on top of my groceries. I didn't care about him squishing my eggs, bread or potato chips, I'd FOUND him! By the time I drove home (maybe 600 FEET) I was in tears and couldn't talk to tell my husband how I'd found and got him.

So keep looking. Mister was missing for a month and remained within I'd say, about a 2-3acre area around where he was lost from. Because of my experience with Mister, I now know 2 weeks was much too early to give up, so have hope and keep looking for him.
Good luck!
h =^..^=

PS...try placing his litterbox on the porch and/or putting some worn clothing outside too, so he can catch the scents of familiar things.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Heidi for keeping us in your thoughts and sharing. I definitely have not given up hope, but it is scary. I have found myself thinking crazy things -- I even looked in the trunk of my car because I remembered that I had moved a box from the living room to my trunk on Friday morning. I thought to myself, what if he was in that box and I shut him in the trunk!! But of course, he wasn't there..

It is so nice to hear about Mister and very encouraging to hear that Mister came back after nearly a month. I know I've read other stories on CF about cats coming back eventually. Also, putting out something of his for the scent is a great idea. I'm going to do that right now. Another one of our cats, his brother, has a spraying problem, so he is outdoors only (and never, never leaves the backyard). I'm hoping his brother's scent will show him the way home too.

Thanks again!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
P&R
Tom Cat

I'm very sorry to hear that and I hope you find him soon. Just keep it up.

Mommy to Justice, Emily & Isabella (humans), Scarlett & Sasha (doggies)and Rosalie & Zoey (kitties).
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Tom Cat

Am so sorry to hear this and I too hope he's soon safe and sound on your lap again. Sending good thoughts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Premier Cat

*sending more good thoughts/wishes*

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I really miss him My mom had a good thought today. A neighbor 2 houses away had been renting out their house, but we haven't seen any cars in the driveway recently. We're going to over there tomorrow and check it out. I am thinking we should put out some neon signs below every stop sign in the neighborhood surrounding area. I'm afraid that with the rain, people aren't really paying attention to the signs on the street. I hope we get a tip soon...every time the phone rings I hope it's someone saying they found him. Our house feels empty without him :'(

Robin and...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Still nothing from my Cody. I put flyers in every mailbox on 16 blocks so far, but I'm going to try to put some more up on the streets tonight. I am just so sad. I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude, but I just don't know where he could be...

How far could he have wandered? I just don't understand where he could have gone! There are so many free wandering cats in our neighborhood and none of them go far...

Robin and...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Cat

Here's something I would suggest - - as someone who lived in the middle of no where - my cats were outside cats as a child (87 acres of land) I gave this advice to some people (3 families in NyC so far this has worked with) Go out at night and say - kitty kitty kitty - - Also put out food and water by the front and back doors. Put a box with a blanket. He may be sneaking around and coming home - coming to the door and no one is there to let him in - so if some food is out when he comes by - he'll keep coming to get food and eventually you can spot him. This worked for people here - - you can also set a trap - put food in it - trap him.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Premier Cat

Wow. It is my opinion that they really don't go very far. Mister was missing for a month and I found him w/in about two smallish 'blocks' from where we were staying. The area is/was pretty open with few yards and surrounding fields/woods for him to get lost in, but it seems he stayed near the homes, scrounging to survive. Are you in a neighborhood? I mean, like a neighborhood that I am imagining in my head; a subdivision type tract of homes close to each other and seperated by yards and fencing?

Because of my experience with Mister, I would suggest you keep looking, but you may also have to consider...
I really *hate* to suggest this, because I would prefer for you to keep hope, but you may have to consider ... that he has perhaps been hit by a car or killed by a yard-dog and whomever found him has cleaned up the accident site and disposed of his body. That happened to a littermate of my childhood cat when we lived in a neighborhood in town (1974) before moving out to the farm. She was hit/killed several houses down and the second time my Mom knocked/flyered, the homeowner finally confessed what had happened, to keep my Mom from searching and wondering/worrying.
Still ... *closes eyes to send more good thoughts and locating wishes for you and Cody*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page