Cat Jewelry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Cat Jewelry

I was thinking how smashing she'd look with a silver bracelet round her neck instead of the usual cloth collar, I wear a bracelet similar to this pic which wouldnt snag on anything and is quite smooth. She doesnt wear anything at all right now because actually, I want her to be completely free. I know that they get completely used to collars though and Im sure you could get a nice looking little silver thing that doesnt weigh more or much more. Why dont people do this with indoor cats who have collars? Is this considered cruel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Cat Jewelry

It may feel smooth to your fingers but her hair could get caught and matted between the links. I wouldn't have her wear that if I were you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Premier Cat

I would totally do that for photographs, but nothing else. I feel the same way about leaving nylon or rope halters on horses. Unless the material is leather and/or a break-away type, they can be dangerous/deadly to leave on without supervision. I have seen too many animals get their jaws/teeth caught in collars and horses catch their halters on immoveable objects or on themselves (loose nail in a hind horseshoe) and the kind of thrashing to escape entrapment that ensues can cause horrific injuries. Not to forget, something that won't break-away can cause death from a simple snag and either choking or breaking the animal's neck.
No, I won't leave collars/halters on anything, unless it has the ability to free the animal if it becomes trapped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hmmm, yeah, it needs to be flexible and anything that is flexible metal is going to have hinges which can snag. I think my one looks smoother than that pic, but fine hairs would still get caught I guess. it would look lovely though...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless
...it would look lovely though...
I know, that is why I said to do photos with them. I have a beautiful photo of S-Jo laying on a sheepskin rug and wish she'd had a pearl necklace or something on.

Myself, I cannot wear bracelets ~ I cannot *stand* to have something loose and bangling around my wrist. It just drives me bonkers. Watches have to have leather straps. My husband prefers metal bands, as it is more durable for him at work than leather, and my first few watch gifts from him were with metal bands. I finally had to explain to him that I couldn't wear them because no matter what kind of metal band or how tight I strapped it, it *would* pull the little hairs on my wrist. We then changed out all of my metal watch bands for leather and I am *much* happier with them.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Cool Cat

Interesting. I don't have that problem with metal watch bands and in fact much prefer them -- leather ones get wet when I shower, and also they wear out.

However, I do have to have the band totally snug -- not pinching, but with no movement. I hate things sliding around my wrists! I don't see how people stand bracelets, but I guess they must not mind.

I wouldn't ever put any sort of collar on a cat that wasn't designed to stretch and/or break away if they get caught up on something, unless it was just briefly for a photo op! It would be too much of a choke hazard to wear unsupervised. Speaking as someone with long hair who gets it caught in necklace clasps all the time, I'd be concerned about it catching on fur, too.

Not all cats get used to collars. I played the "Where has Misty left her collar today?" routine every time I came home from work until I finally gave up and left it off. She used to get her jaw caught in it, too, no matter how much I messed with the size. (Possibly that was a step in the collar removal process!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page