Left handed Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Left handed Cat

So Ive been observing her and she does use the left paw more often, the first investigative touch, the paw she uses to dip in the water bowl and drink from etc.

So, are cats left / right handed? And if so, then perhaps we can draw the same sort of indication of personality traits that we draw from the left hand > right brain half and vice versa in humans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Left handed Cat

Probably the most useless bit of trivia I've picked up is that most cat's are left pawed.

My source for that was better than Cats 101 where they told me the "M" on a cat's forehead meant Maine Coon. Then again, maybe I misinterpreted that and all Maine Coon's have the "M" but an "M" doesn't necessarily mean Maine Coon. OMG, am I that stup-it.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hmmm, newscientist says most males are left handed and most females are right handed. Now, about that connection to the opposite side of the brain...?

Quote:
For example, it appears that the right brain is dominant for spatial abilities, face recognition, visual imagery and music. The left brain may be more dominant for calculations, math and logical abilities. Of course, these are generalizations and in normal people, the two hemispheres work together, are connected, and share information through the corpus callosum.
Do cat brains have two hemispheres that work diagonally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Cat Addict

OMG. Am I ever right about anything? Am I even qualified to live with cats?

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I shudder to think of how cats 101 would have explained it
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Cool Cat

Animals definately have Paw/hoof/foot preferences. Horses throw one leg out in front of the other when they canter, when they do this it is called "Throwing a lead" most horses have one "lead" that they prefer over the other. But in competative riding you have to get your horse to changes leads based on which direction you are going around the ring. I can be hard to teach a horse to do this at first.

You may not know this but humans don't just have a dominate hand but a dominate foot and eye. How you find your dominate foot is you stand with both feet together, close your eyes and have someone push you off balance from behind. The foot you step out with first is your dominate foot. Most people who are right handed are left footed I'm odd as I am right handed and right footed. I'm not sure how find your dominate eye but I know my brother (who is right handed) was shooting right handed but was getting bad marksmen scores (he is a marine). His commanding officer suggested that he switch to shooting left handed because he might not be right eye dominate. He made this switch and he went from being a subpar marksment to an excellent marksmen in no time flat.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
You may not know this but humans don't just have a dominate hand but a dominate foot and eye. How you find your dominate foot is you stand with both feet together, close your eyes and have someone push you off balance from behind. The foot you step out with first is your dominate foot. Most people who are right handed are left footed I'm odd as I am right handed and right footed.
Interesting. Im righthanded, but taking a step forward with the left foot is more natural to me. In fact, I'd be reay to submit that it is a better way from a balance perspective. As an amateur thai boxer, the only natural way to punch/kick or vice versa is using the opposite side of the body, e.g. left punch followed by right kick. You cant do right punch, right kick and maintain the same balance and speed, well perhaps you could with practice, but the thing is, whenever you use a kick, you swing the body in the opposing direction to maintain vertical balance. And of course, as a rightpaw, my stance is always left foot forward first.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Cat Addict

I'm right handed but also feel better with a right kick so I think I'm right jhanded and right footed.

If you were too kick a football (either European or American) which foot would you use?

At this point I'm concerned that I may not even know if I'm left handed or right handed. I may have lived a suboptimal life.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Kicking, Im definitely right legged. My left leg is worthless for that but good for balance...The basic muay thai kick is quite similar to a european football kick, btw.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Cat Addict

HA!! I may be right....or correct that is. It looks like there's a dispute over pawedness.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... handed-cat

To test feline handedness, or pawedness as you prefer, Professor Cole had 60 randomly-selected cats reach into a glass tube for some rabbit meat. Of the 60, 35 showed a noticeable preference for one paw over the other (i.e., same paw used in at least 75 out of 100 tries). Of the 35, two-thirds were left-pawed.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 231AAyzpMm

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Believe it or not, cats can be either right-pawed or left-pawed, with or without any political affiliation. Approximately forty out of every hundred cats are left-pawed, twenty are right-pawed and forty are ambidextrous. With humans, the percentages are different; usually ten out of every hundred people are left-handed for every ninety who are right-handed.

I feel much better now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page