Smokey's introduction progress - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Smokey's introduction progress

Well, Mr. Smokey is doing fine. He's been getting antsy, so Lauren and I have been letting him out for a little bit each day. Today was the first day that he really spent with Star and Midnight. Star followed him around as he explored downstairs. Midnight spent the whole time glaring, but didn't make any noise. Things seemed to have been going okay (Lauren had given them all some catnip to keep them calm), but Midnight literally screeched at Smokey. She scared Star (he was puffed up to twice his size) and Smokey looked confused. I had Lauren bring Smokey back to his safe room, but I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do?

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Smokey's introduction progress

The only thing I would have changed would've been *no* catnip. Catnip makes my kitties a little wild, crazy and unpredictable. Usually staid, laidback and sweet kitties become rabid and paranoid about "protecting" their little pinch of catnip and will get all fuzzed-up to prove it, too.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

So should we try it again, but no 'nip this time? I mean, other than the glaring, Midnight didn't really react to Smokey at all. He walked within a foot of her a few times and she just looked at him. Maybe he got too close when they were under the dining room table? And as a precaution, I picked up their food so that Smokey wouldn't try to eat it. He did sniff at it, but for the most part, seemed rather uninterested in it.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Premier Cat

Overall I think it sounds like things are progressing well. No one was overly aggitated or aggressive, and that is a good thing. I think I'd keep increasing the amount of time he is out and allowed to mingle. Is anyone interested in doing nose-sniffs at a partially opened door or is everyone already bored with that?
You could help things along by having everyone associate Smokey's appearance coincide with a Treat Time.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

They're bored with the nose-sniffs, especially Smokey. Smokey will literally bolt for the open door when my son opens the door to his room. I like the idea of Treat Time. We'll try that today.

Back to the catnip for a minute. After seeing Smokey's reaction to catnip, I can see why it's sometimes called kitty crack. Lauren had put a little on a piece of paper for him so he could try it. He sniffed at it twice, plopped onto the paper, rolled around on the paper, then tried to eat the paper. I can see Smokey needing a 12-step program for the 'nip.

----------
Renée
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Premier Cat

ZOMG, you should see Shasta and catnip. You have never seen such a junkie as she is. I keep the catnip in the fridge and when I break it out, she *knows* the sound of the container opening and she RUNS to me, meowing desperately and 'leading me' into the livingroom rug. (I always put 'nip pinches on the carpet for them a few hours before I plan to vacuum.) Shasta will cry, run circles, rear up, jump up and grab for the container. EVERY new pinch I put down, she runs to get the first bite. Eventually I have a pinch for every cat, spaced out every so often to give them rolling-room and prevent any catnip-induced territory/proprietary scuffles. Shasta is given a slightly larger pinch at the very last to keep her occupied and away from the other pinches that belong to the other kitties.

We get rolling, eating, rubbing, drooling and then we get either zoomies or crashed-out cats asleep in their 'nip.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, the intro is going great. Both Star and Lucky are used to him being out. They will look at him and maybe sniff at him, and then go on their merry way. Star is still a little jumpy around him, but then again, Star is always jumpy. Lucky hissed at Smokey, but that's about it. Midnight still gives him the "Glare Of Death", but Smokey is a gentleman and submits to her. Whenever he sees her, he immediately lays down. He gives her the respect of being the alpha cat in this house. Smokey loves the linoleum floors. Yesterday he was out for about 2 hours and he spent most of the time laying on the kitchen floor. If he wasn't on the kitchen floor, he was in the bathroom, laying on the floor in there. He's a very curious kitty and was sniffing everything and anything. He sniffed at the other cats' litterboxes, but he didn't try to go in them. I removed their food so that Smokey wouldn't try to eat any of it, since he is FeLV+ and I moved Smokey's food in my son's room so that the others wouldn't try to eat it. Star was happy to have been able to go back in "his" room and wasn't freaked out that it smelled like Smokey. In fact, he even curled up on the top bunk and went to sleep for a little while. I would love to leave Smokey out for an even longer period of time, but I am worried about Midnight. She really doesn't seem to like him. She's hissed at him the most but hasn't tried to attack him. Star did bop Smokey on the head twice today, but it seemed more playful than threatening. Star decided to get the Invisible Mousies Who Live On The Stairs, so he started "hunting". Smokey wanted to see what was going on and went over to the stairs, and stuck his head through the stair railing. Star ran down the stairs and bopped Smokey's head twice, then ran back up the stairs. No claws.

----------
Renée
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like things are going very well. Mousie was my "hissy-kitty" and she always took longer to come around, but she would. I think for her, her limited vision caused most of her stand-off-ish-ness, but eventually even she accepted all new kitties.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I would really like to leave Smokey out longer than I have been, but my concern is the food. Smokey's food is kept upstairs in my son's room. Midnight, Lucky, and Star's food is in the kitchen/dining room, under the dining room table. I've been picking up all the food and put it out of the reach of everyone...which is fine for the limited amount of time Smokey's been out. Star isn't bothered by Smokey's scent being in my son's room because, as I mentioned earlier, Star jumped on the top bunk of my son's bed and proceeded to curl up and fall asleep...in the same spot that Smokey sleeps/naps on. He didn't sniff at it, he didn't paw at it and, more importantly, he didn't re-scent it. He just curled up and went to sleep.

How do I handle longer periods of time? And what should I do about Smokey's litter box? I can't very well put that up. Smokey needs it. Also, what about MSS's litter boxes? Smokey hasn't tried to use it, and they haven't tried to use his. However, I don't want Smokey to have to come back upstairs to use the litter box. Would it be okay if he uses their boxes and then IMMEDIATELY scoop them and vice versa if they use his? I do realize how contagious FeLV is, but keeping a cat who likes being around other kitties isn't fair to Smokey.

----------
Renée
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Premier Cat

I thought FeLV was difficult to transmit to other kitties unless through a deep bite wound? Can you send a message to melysion, hoof or laurief and ask them? How about Rachel/Nito, and *oh carp!* we have a few more vet tech CF members and formylife I cannot recall their screen names! ...somebody help me out! What did your vet say about transferrence?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page