Toby has just given me the fright of my life! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Toby has just given me the fright of my life!

Remember Hughs question about height and cats?

Well, i got to bed pretty darn late last night due to derby practise, so gave myself permission for a 15 minute lay in. But of course Toby, being the 'i am hungry' alarm clock that he is started bunting me and rubbing round and pawing me .. the usual 'mum, i want something' thing we all know and love.

I did my best to ignore him and then somehow ... i am not entirely sure how ... he fell right off the bed! Now, i am about 5ft 2" and i can walk under my bed with ease, so its high!

I scream 'Nooo ...' as i see him tumble, too far away for me to grab him. I then look down holding my breath, expecting a dead or injured kitty, but nope. He was sat there looking up at me and proceeded to meow for breakfast.

He has since had his morning stroll in the garden and a nibble of said breakfast (Mr Fusspot is not impressed with the menu this morning .. ).

Anyway, he is fine, but he gave me a real fright. I guess he did that turning his body around in the air thing to land on his feet. I have always loved watching that in slow motion on the tv. Nice to know Toby has the knack.

So anyway, Hugh. As recent events has just proved, middle aged, lazy, plump cats seem to survive falls of over 5ft pretty well, so i think Peggy will be fine

How bizarre though that i just posted in Hughs thread last night about my concerns regarding Toby falling out of bed ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Toby has just given me the fright of my life!

Thank goodness Mr. Toby is ok!! I can not imagine your feeling as you saw him go over the side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm beginning to wonder whether i should allow him to sleep on my bed at night now to be honest. I love my little bed fellow, he snuggles in all night, but i don't want him to be in any danger.

What do people think? This is the bed in question.

And here is Toby on the bed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Cat Addict

Wow! I bet that got your adrenaline going and woke you up fast! I would have been very worried if any of mine fell from that distance.
They make rails to put on the sides of beds for children, would that work for Toby? You may feel like you were sleeping in a crib, though. I think he would be unhappy to not be allowed to sleep with you.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Cool Cat

What about creating a ledge to go around the edge of the bed, something that would be attached to the frame under the mattress that would extend out about a foot? Then if he were to fall off the mattress he wouldn't drop all the way to the floor, and he should be awake enough to orient himself and not fall a second time.

I've always wanted a bunk or loft bed.... I'm jealous!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Cool bed! Yeah, you could easily just make sides for it out of plywood and paint them. Would look nice and neither he nor you could fall out. Honestly, I would be afraid of falling out of that bed myself, LOL! My niece has a super-cool loft bed my bro made her, and it has very stylish side rails with a little shelf where my niece puts her books, treasures, etc. And her kitty can sleep up there w/ her w/out risk. Might be a good idea!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Premier Cat

Way cool loft bed! I had one, many years ago, and I loved it.
Poor Allie! Toby, my man, you should not scare your devoted meowmie that way.
A five or six foot fall is no problem for a cat. They have enough time to twist their body and swing their tail to land nicely on their feet.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Cool Cat

Reminds me of the time when I was growing up -- my Mom was standing at the kitchen sink and saw our cat go hurtling past the window. She'd been let out in the back yard for a constitutional and had managed to get up on, and then fall off of, the roof. Luckily the house is only one story there!

I think Toby has demonstrated that the fall isn't dangerous.... but I'd be worried about ME sleeping there! Humans don't land on their feet. Maybe a railing?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will see what I can do as regards to making it a little safer for him.

He still snuggled last night though. He ran upstairs and was on the bed before I could stop him. And he looked so cute ....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Cat

I just have to comment on your bed...
I've never seen a bed like that, and it's awesome! I love it.
As to comment on your Toby incident! Jeeze, I have a heart attack when Stitch falls off my bed and it's not even half as high as yours is. I can only image how scared you must have been. I probably would have had to laugh though, when he started meowing at you after his fall.
I agree, you should try and make the edges surrounding your bed a little wider so that way if he does end up toppling off, he'll just fall onto the edge surrounding the bed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page