Newbie here... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Newbie here...

Hi, My Names AnnMarie. Last week we bought our Kitten...my 6year old Dominic (named her Princess after princess peach from mario ) what should we expect?...she is 9weeks old and we just adore her but the main problem is her scratching us...she will jump up claws and all and i am covered in scratches she draws blood doing so...i know at this age she is learning alot and wanting to play...she has plenty of toys and i bought her a scratching post too...i plan on taking her to the vet next week...what should they be doing with a kitten her age?... i want her to have a flee treatment and also be wormed...is she too young for her needles yet?what else will they do?...she is going to be a domesticated house cat and will not be allowed outside at all...i do plan on getting her neautered though as people have recommended i do so...she is eating 2 whiskas kitten pouches a day...

i am looking forward to getting to know you cat lovers...since i am a newbie to all of this i am totally clueless...

Thanks AnnMarie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Newbie here...

I'll leave others to answer your questions, but I must say she is a CUTIE! What a little doll. We're a picture-lovin' group.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for your comments on Princess she was the one who caught my eye at the pet shop....

AnnMarie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Cool Cat

First off, beautiful baby!

What needs to happen is that she needs to be trained that human apendages are not to be scratched or bitten EVER. How you do this is if she attacks your hands or feet while playing, play-time IMMEDIATELY stops and you ignore her for 5 minutes. If she insists on continuing her attacks while you are ignoring her, I would put her in a 5 minute "time-out" in the bathroom or another room where it is boring and she can't get into much trouble. I would never "wrestle" with her using your hands or feet because you can't expect her to not attack your hand when it is attacking her. Also, do not use any toys that contain your hand (wrapping your hand in a towel or under the covers). Cats are not stupid, you aren't fooling them. They know they are playing with your hand. I would also get her an high intensity, interactive toy that you can play with her at a distance like a laser or a mouse on a string. There are other toys that other members prefer but I can't remember what they are. I'm sure they will tell you what they are.

Best of luck, hope this helps.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Cat

The little knowledge I have about stuff like this is that kittens are recommended to not be removed from their mom and siblings before 12 weeks, during which time they will teach each other stuff like not biting and scratching hard when playing, how to clean themselves, litterbox, etc. So I guess you'll have to take care of that education. not sure how, but others will give you more advice. She is lovely

Im not sure raecarrow will agree, but Ill take the liberty anyway of suggesting that in addition to the "punishment", you should make some sort of exclamation or suitable signal at the very moment she bites/scratches you, so she knows exactly what part of the process was not allowed (dont ever scare her though, that takes you back several steps in the bonding process). Similar to click training which by clicking at the very moment they do something good communicates much quicker and clearer what you're trying to say.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless
Im not sure raecarrow will agree, but Ill take the liberty anyway of suggesting that in addition to the "punishment", you should make some sort of exclamation or suitable signal at the very moment she bites/scratches you, so she knows exactly what part of the process was not allowed. Similar to click training which by clicking at the very moment they do something good communicates much quicker and clearer what you're trying to say.
Both of these are suitable means of training and discipline.

If anything, when scratched or bitten, I would hiss at the cat. I do this when my boys get over eager in playing and they scratch or bite me (by accident) when reaching for the toy I have in my hands. I have learned to get it out my hands and not tease them with the toy, but I can usually grab the toy right out the their mouths without getting scratched or bitten.

As for clicker training, I haven't tried it but I've heard it works really well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Cat

Im gonna try click training soon. The results at youtube are quite remarkable. They seem to pick up quite advanced commands almost immediately once you've got a language (clicking) that clearly and concisely pinpoints the moment in the process that you want to encourage. Apparently they enjoy it too, I think its probably a good intellectual game for them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you both so much raecarrow and Faithless...your cats are gorgeous....i will give your suggestions a try (i sure hope they work )...my son has a platelet problem which causes prolonged bleeding so i guess i dont want him getting scratched i also dont think its too hygenic when shes been in a litter tray and then breaks the skin while clawing at me...so your suggestions seem really good...after all i wouldnt take my child scratching me or biting me so why should i let my kitten....

i am so happy i found this forum ....

AnnMarie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Cat

Absolutely no reason to accept that at all. Of course the trick is to teach her that in a smart way. My gal never scratches me either, but I was just lucky in that her mom/siblings had taught her that before I found her at about 12 weeks old. Actually, I got a slight scratch today but that was because while we were playing she fell off a shelf and I tried to catch her. Even then she only slightly grazed me.

About clean paws, I taught her to play with water (or she already had the inclination, not sure which), so now she splashes around in the little tub I bought for her with her paws which means once they're wet, she'll spend a lot of time cleaning them afterwards. She also drinks water from her bowl by dipping her paws in and sucking on them

Oh, another important thing, IMO: Whenever I tell her not to do something and she obeys (which she always does though she grumbles at me), I immediately praise her for obeying.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Cool Cat

You are right, cat scratches and bites are VERY unhygenic. I've noticed that the very few scratches I get take FOREVER to heal and I even read a story last night of a guy who got bitten by his cat while feeding him by hand (two deepish puncture wounds on his thumb) and he got blood poisoning and nearly died.

One of many good reasons to teach your cat that biting and scratching are not acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page