Reilly's story w/ photos ...for Sue ;-) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Reilly's story w/ photos ...for Sue ;-)

When we were trying to move into the rental house, an orange cat kept trying to run inside. I kept putting him out, telling him we had our own kitties and he needed to go home. A little boy would pick this cat up and carry him around, saying he was 'his'. When a neighbor came over asking if we were missing a cat, I did a head-count and all were present, then she spied Reilly in the parking area and said 'that was him'. He kept getting into her garbage and she threatened to take him to the pound. My Husband said he'd take him before he allowed that lady to do that to the nice orange cat.
Turns out, I ran into that little boy's mother at the grocery store and I told her what that lady said she'd do to her cat. The woman said the cat was NOT theirs, her little boy just liked to pick it up and *say* it was his and if we wanted to take him in, she had no problem with it. My husband was *very* happy with that information. The woman also told me that Reilly used to LIVE in our rental and when the people moved out, they left him behind.
Reilly had been abandoned.

My husband used to take Reilly to work with him every day. The first week, Rei stayed at the power plant but on Friday, he came home with my husband and I *freaked* because he just brought him in the house and turned him loose, no intro-period!
...and most amazing thing happened ...
Reilly and our resident cats blended together with absolutely NO issues at all. Not even hissing. It was like he had always belonged. So every morning, Hubby would open the door and Rei would run to his truck and wait for my husband to open the truck door for him to jump inside. He'd ride on my husband's shoulders and "comment" on the traffic they saw. When they would come home, Rei would run from the truck to the front door. He knew the routine! After that first week, Rei kept my husband's work schedule; going in with him and coming home with him every day.
When contractors came, Husband couldn't bring Rei because he was afraid one of the contractors would leave a door open and he'd lose Rei at the landfill (methane landfill gas powered power plant). Poor Rei, he'd run from window-to-window, following my husband's progress from the front door to the side of the house where we parked and would cry and try to tell him he was forgetting to take Rei with him! Since he couldn't go to work any more, we'd take him for a drive around town a few times a week. He really thought he was Hot Stuff to be a cruising cat. We even took him along on some of our car-club cruises that remained local.

Reilly was euthed in the summer of 2007 due to complications of a spinal tumor that caused him to slowly lose control of his muscles from mid-spine, back. We, and our vet, believe he had always had this toumor and as it grew, his visible symptoms increased and progressivley affected his mobility. When the nerve degeneration began to affect his internal organs, he expressed his desire that he was 'ready' and we had him humanely euthed.
My Husband took Rei's loss especially hard. I think Rei was the first cat my husband had ever created such a strong bond with.

Rei's last photo:

Rei is far left, then BooBoo and Marmalade on the back of the couch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Reilly's story w/ photos ...for Sue ;-)

Aww, Rei was a handsome man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
P&R
Tom Cat

Awww, your cats are cuties! Looks like he fits right in

Mommy to Justice, Emily & Isabella (humans), Scarlett & Sasha (doggies)and Rosalie & Zoey (kitties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Cat Addict

Thanks Heidi. He was indeed a very special boy. What is it about the orange ones?

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Premier Cat

Oh Heidi, thanks for telling Reilly's story and showing those beautiful pictures. He was a very handsome boy....and I agree about the orange ones! It sounds like he had a great life with you.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Banned

He was a very handsome boy and obviously very loved. He looks to be such a sweetie!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It does seem like the Orange Ones have great purrsonalities, doesn't it?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Jr. Cat

that was a really touching story.. and reilly's an absolute sweetheart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page