Great progress with Mr Fraidy (aka Leo) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Great progress with Mr Fraidy (aka Leo)

Just a brief history for those of you who don't know. I got my Leo back in October from the breeder and he has been Mr. Fraidy-Cat from the moment I brought him home. I have been slowly but surely acclimating him to being petted and handled. and getting him used to not running when I approach him.

Over the last month I have been making slow but steady progress with Leo. I have a bunk bed (with a Futon couch underneath) that the cats can climb into via a cat tree next to the bed. I have been petting him whenever I walk by because he feels safer up there. Slowly he has become less skittish and has gotten so I can walk past him when he is on the floor without him running as long as I am not looking directly at him. I have also taken to petting him as he is eating his meals. He isn't allowed to start eating unless I am petting him. I have even been able to pick him up and carry him around for 30 seconds or so without him getting too tensed up or scrabbling after he has had a few bites of food.

In the morning, he has taken to watching me get ready for work from the nearest corner with just his little head peeking around to watch me. He also sits at the bottom of the steps and watches me go out the door in the morning with an almost sad look on his face.

Over the last week I have been able to extend my hand to him when he is on the ground and have him sniff my fingers. OVer the last few days he has even started walking 5 ft or more toward me to sniff my extended fingers.

Last night I was reading in bed and Leo came up and put his front paws on the edge of my bed (the top of my bed is probably only about 18 inches off the floor) I put my fingers out, let him sniff them and then I was able to PET him for about 5 seconds before he walked away.

I am currently in the middle of watching the Lost premiere (I am writing this during commercials) earlier in the show, Leo walked up to the edge of the couch and was hanging around. I put my hand down to let him sniff my fingers and he HEADBUTTED my hand!!!! I was able to pet him for about 5 minutes before he walked away. He was rolling around and sent marking the floor. He then came BACK for 2 more pet sessions that lasted about the same amount of time.

I am SOOO happy he is making such progress. I just had to share. Even if he did interrupt my Lost viewing. Thank heaven for DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Cat

Re: Great progress with Mr Fraidy (aka Leo)

Congrats!!!! I know how you feel: Tavish, (who I got in October as well!), was so skittish when I first got him. He's always been a love bug, but boy was he ever nervous. Lately he's come more and more out of his shell, and is such a happy and relaxed cat now. Its such an awesome feeling when they start to relax and trust you!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

He has actually come back for several more pet sessions! I was actually able to get down on the floor and pet him. I also was able (while sitting on the floor, to scoop him up and give him some cuddles and a kiss on the head!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Premier Cat

Yay! Awesome news!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page