Cageing a house cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Cageing a house cat

I was thinking about buy this for my cat well nine month old kitten.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-130-Cat-P ... 711&sr=8-1

He chews and tears up anything plastic in my house so i am trying to figure out a way to keep him and my stuff safe short of shoving him in a small travel kennel for nine to fifteen hours a day.

When me and hubby are at work or gone.

And at night i had to start kenneling my dog because she was using the floor so he does not have his playmate anymore either I was wondering what you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Cageing a house cat

I'll be honest: Ugh
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Cool Cat

I wouldn't use a small travel carrier. That could cause litter box issues for the kitty. If you absolutely HAD to cage the cat for the day, I would get a large "cat condo" cage. Put a litter box and some toys and water inside of it. I have a "cat condo" I bought to get my cats acclimated to each other. It looks very much like the kennel shown below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Cat Addict

Please do not lock your cat in anything smaller than a room for that length of time every day
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by raecarrow
I wouldn't use a small travel carrier. That could cause litter box issues for the kitty. If you absolutely HAD to cage the cat for the day, I would get a large "cat condo" cage. Put a litter box and some toys and water inside of it. I have a "cat condo" I bought to get my cats acclimated to each other. It looks very much like the kennel shown below.

That what i was saying i would not throw him in a kennel for that long I was saying is the link to the cage good and what would I need to put in there for him.

The cage looks the same i just saw the picture you printed. So yeah I was not really planning on putting him in a cat carrier that would be horrible
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanti
Please do not lock your cat in anything smaller than a room for that length of time every day
I dont have the option of a full kitty safe room. Only a small bathrooom and even thats not safe cause he will eat the soap and he knows how to open the child proof lokc we have tried four to put everything under the cabnet
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I think you should do a better job of cat proofing and keeping stuff put away. To me, a cage like that is fine for short periods of necessity (e.g. recovering from surgery, for very young kittens), but not for everyday use for a nearly adult cat for potentially the rest of his life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I think you should do a better job of cat proofing and keeping stuff put away. To me, a cage like that is fine for short periods of necessity (e.g. recovering from surgery, for very young kittens), but not for everyday use for a nearly adult cat for potentially the rest of his life.
I do keep stuff put away he chews on dvd chases and he chews on couches and stuff. I dont have a messy house it very organized. He has a plastic fedish. I live in a one bedroom apartment with dog cat and rabbit so space to make things work and keep thing organized is tight.

Oh my house is cat rabbit and baby proofed I cant leave things laying around. I have to many dangers for to many things if i do
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Cat

obviously you have to be able to live somewhat normal life, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if his restless behavior is *because* of him being left alone so much...And now it seems to me that he in effect will get punished for that...I made a decision 6 months ago to change my life an go back to school to re-educate myself as a teacher - sold my condo, made a nice little profit so that I can afford that - so I have loads of time to spend with my kitty in a one bedroom apartment. I've often reflected on the fact that I have so few problems with my kitty, pretty much zilch in fact, because she simply gets lots of time and attention from me.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless
obviously you have to be able to live somewhat normal life, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if his restless behavior is *because* of him being left alone so much...And now it seems to me that he in effect will get punished for that...

He is only left alone at max three days a week

I help my sister raise her kid Monday through Wednesday hubby works a four four schedule four days on four days off. so there are most weeks where it may be for a day or two or even never left alone at all this has been the the schedule pretty much sense he was born.

So there are weeks where it is three days a week but those are few and for between. Maybe two days But considering most people work five days a week at nine hours a day. I think a couple days a week is not hurting him and causing this behavior. I would be more inclined to think that having to kennel his best friend would be more likly to cause this. Oh and on the day Hubby does work and I am gone. we have a pet sitter come play with them three times a day for a hour each.

And boss has known this person from birth also.

Need less to say I did not give enough info and he would only be in this cage the days we worked or had to leave for the day. He sleep in bed with us. I am also not really worried about my things I am more worried about him. I have pets i don't expect my house to not show signs of that.

I am more worried about a blockage from eating something. so you can look at it as being punished or keeping him safe and hopefully preventing a undo vet bill and surgery for him.

My pets are my babys and trust me if I was really worried about my stuff he would have been in a cage as soon as the problem started. I have been thinking and talking to hubby and when we had to take him in to the vet the other day for a exray because he ate a part of a dvd case that was kinda a wake up call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page