Building a Diaster Preparedness Kit - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Building a Diaster Preparedness Kit

Hi everyone,

I was just reading the "how much does your cat cost" thread, and noticed that Mrs.PBJ mentioned assembling a disaster preparedness kit.

I have of course thought of the general things (making sure to always have one carrier per animal, etc) in the event of an emergency, but now I'm thinking that having everything assembled in one place (food, H2O, even copies of medical records in waterproof bags) would be a really good idea.

Has anyone done this? In what type of container have you put everything? I can imagine a rubbermaid would be useful for storage, but if you truly had to get out in a hurry, it might get cumbersome.

What is in your disaster kit?

Thanks for sharing!

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Cat

Re: Building a Diaster Preparedness Kit

I live in NYC. So I have things like canned food, water.........batteries, flash light....carriers. So I have cat food and human food. I've been thinking more and more about this lately.

If something happens in NYC - I have my son and two friends who are older that I have to take care of. We've been making plans of how we could meet - where to meet - what to do - - if there's a way we could escape the city - how we'd go - or if we are trapped on the island - what will we do......

My son is kind of panicked because we've been talking about this a lot lately. But it's reality these days.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Cat

Fantastic idea! I hadn't even thought of this. I'll have to make one up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Cat Addict

I have a whole disaster closet. Water is critical. I guess I need to a add kitty food to it but an important thing to have is a plan for an alternative residence with your cats. I have 2 carriers and know the location of disaster shelters that accept people with pets. We get constant reminders that we need to know where the pet inclusive shelters are down here during hurricane season. You can have a kit but if your house is gone you'll need a cat friendly place to stay.

Also, 10 days of any prescription meds and a wind up radio or radio/tv.

A tiny coleman stove if you want to heat your canned food.

Coffee. More coffee.

Flashlights and enough batteries to fill half of the above mentioned disaster closet.

If you're rich, a generator. Down here we'd use it to keep the fridge going and save our cold food. Maybe you Yankess could keep your food cold without one now.

I've been so prepared that I've never even had to deal with a power outage due to a hurricane.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Cat

Love that you've got coffee in your kit!

Bandages, for both pets and humans are also a must have. A good tensor bandage is irreplacable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page