How BIG is your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NosyKitty
How BIG is your cat?

I just gave Ninja a little physical and took down all his measurement stats, and I'm curious how they compare to all your kitties.

Ninja is half Maine Coon, half Burmese and at 1 1/2 years old he is:

13.5 lbs
13 in - floor to shoulder
14 in - floor to hip
24 in - nose to base of tail AND
36 in - nose to tip of tail! That's exactly one full yard stick!

For those here who also have Maine Coons or Burmese cats, I was also curious about how many years it took until they fully stopped growing. Just to play with the idea of how much bigger he might possibly get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Senior Cat

Re: How BIG is your cat?

My sisters pitbull of a SH weighs 8kg.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Maine Coons can grow until ~4 years old. They do most of their growing in the first year and then may have a spurt or two after that. I haven't done any measuring, I just compare Holly to Kobi, who is a moose of a cat at 19lbs and he's not overweight.

When they stood side by side, she was always about a 1/2" shorter than him then at about age 2 she had a little growth spurt and she was just a hair shorter than him. And last night I saw the two of them walking across the kitchen, hip to hip, and darn if it didn't look like she is taller. It just may have been their positions, I'll have to keep it eye on them.

But, while Kobi is so hefty (he's all muscle and extremely strong), Holly is a bag of bones under all that fur...~11.5 lbs. Oh... and she's 3.5 years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

I haven't measured them, but:

Lincoln -- 13 pounds. He's a very large-framed cat.
Calvin -- 10 pounds. Tends to be on the pudgy side and even now could lose 1/4 - 1/2 pound.
Jonah -- Just 5 mos old -- 6.5 pounds.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
But, while Kobi is so hefty (he's all muscle and extremely strong), Holly is a bag of bones under all that fur...~11.5 lbs. Oh... and she's 3.5 years old.
What kind of cat is Kobi? I can't really tell from the pic, but he looks somewhat Burmese-like, which are known to be very dense kitties and, "Bricks wrapped in silk." lol This definitely goes for Ninja. So I wonder how much he'll live up to his MC size, and his Burmese weight by the time he's 4 years or so.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Kobi is a DSH that I rescued from the shelter, he was brought in as a stray at 10 weeks old.

Do you know for sure that Ninja is a Burmese/MC mix (which is pretty odd ) or is that someone's guess?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Cat Addict

Last time Miu went to the vet, I think she came out to almost 5 pounds. She was roughly 4 months at the time. Now is a month later so obviously she got bigger. don't know until she goes in for her spaying end of this month.

But man, I didn't know a little bugger like that can be so strong. I caught her hanging onto the side of the bird cage last night and tried to pull her away. She exerted her muscles in staying put....man, she's strong. Her muscles were literally rippling from her effort! I had to actually work to pull her away.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Cat

I wish I could measure Enzo, I'd be lucky if I could get a ruler or tape measure anywhere near him without him freaking out like "Mom, what the heck are you trying to do to me!!!!" My husband and I have had discussions on how long we think his tail alone is and we both agree it has to be somewhere around a foot and a half long, he's a biiiiiig boy and he's not fat at all he's just very long and tall.

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Tom Cat

16" back feet to top of hip,
13" front feet to top of shoulder
32" nose to tip of tail
24" nose to base of tail
18" shoulder to base of tail
10.5" but slightly underweight (supposed to be 13 pounds)

Mak is just a DSH but he's huge... Very slim but very tall and long. Everyone comments on how big he is when they see him! He's tall enough that he can easily steal food off the kitchen counter or dinner table just by standing on his back legs. ... It's cute that he likes getting his nose into everything but sometimes I wish he was just a little bit shorter.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Kobi is a DSH that I rescued from the shelter, he was brought in as a stray at 10 weeks old.

Do you know for sure that Ninja is a Burmese/MC mix (which is pretty odd ) or is that someone's guess?
Why do you say it's an odd mix? Animals can't help who they fall in love with!

Well, I guess you can never be too sure when you adopt. But the lady who I got him from said that the mother was a Burmese and the father, a Maine Coon.

I can clearly see the markings of both -- the bushy tail, cheek fur, chest "beard" and very dog-like personality of the MC -- the dense, solid body and playful, inquisitive, people friendly attitude of the Burmese. Not to mention the most silky softer-than-a-bunny's fur I have ever had the pleasure of petting.

There very well could be other genes in there, but from all the traits I've read and known about Maine Coons and Burmese cats, Ninja is spot-on. So this is how I refer to him.

Everyone always tells me Ninja is such a big cat, but he looks pretty regular sized to me. Your cats seem to hover around the same weight, except for the 8 and 19 pounders!!

I read that many MCs will get up to even 25lbs. Imagine having a cat that big! Then it really would be like having a dog lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page