I got thinking today .. perhaps too much. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I got thinking today .. perhaps too much.

So I've had my Destiny since October 2003. So she's almost 7 years old now. The last couple days just out of nowhere I got thinking about having to put her to sleep and how hard it will be on me. She's a very healthy girl, Vac's ar up to date, she's spayed and she lives indoors now, she was an outdoor kitty for a couple years. I've never had to/or have gone threw anything like that. I'm dreading the day that it happens be it next month or even 10 years from now.

I know it's a weird thing to randomly start thinking about but I'm 21 years old. I've never had a pet PTS.

How long will a healthy indoor cat live to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Re: I got thinking today .. perhaps too much.

Well, from the perspective of someone who's going through something right now (Cinderella is sick), let me just say this. If you spend time thinking about "what if" and being sad thinking about how you'll feel and what you'll do when the time comes, then when the time really comes, you'll look back and think of how much time you wasted worrying when she wasn't sick, when you could have been in the moment and loving your cat.

It is normal, though. I've done it, too, mostly when I read the Over the Rainbow Bridge threads, which break my heart. It always makes me spend extra time with my girls, thankful that they're healthy.

Cinderella was my first cat, my first love and will be my first loss.

As much as you can, take lots of pictures, get her regular check-ups, try not to dwell on "what if" and love your lovely Destiny for being with you right now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Premier Cat

It is very common for a well-cared-for kitty to live to be eighteen or more.
Fluffy, a dear feline friend who owned a couple of dear human friends, lived to be about 21 years old. He was a coal black DLH, and had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle.
He used to play like a kitten, and loved to show off how he could run up a tree, even at 20 years old. I hope I'm that spry when I'm a hundred+ "human years" old.

Don't worry, you have many years ahead with your furry friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Premier Cat

I think that it is normal to worry about having to make "The Big Decision" when you love an animal so much. I think the fact that we live so much longer than our furry friends is such a shame. As Marie said, make as many memories as you can, love and celebrate each day you have with her.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on who's statistics you believe, the average life span of an indoor cat is anywhere from 14-18 years. I tend to believe 15-16 is probably about right.

But that's just an average and things can happen at any time...Marie's situation is a good example, a week ago she would have told you that Cinderella was a healthy kitty who just needed her teeth cleaned. But as she said, you can't dwell on what's going to happen because you'll miss out on what IS happening.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

We can't predict, and thank goodness for that. You will never be ready to lose her. We love them so much when they're young; it's hard to believe, but we love them even more when they are long standing family members. As Marie said, just enjoy her. Treasure her every day; take good care of her, and deal with each day as it comes. What a gift they are! How much they enrich our lives! How lovely is the sound of a purr? That's what I would think about now.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Read "You Have Chosen Tears" in the Rainbow Bridge forum....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

When the time comes that you have to make that decission you will be surrounded by friends who can help you see your way thru it. Everyday that you give her a 100% of your attention and love counts for a lot. Hopefully you have many many years to enjoy your sweet companion.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone! I have 2 other cats one that's a 2 year old male and another 7 year old female ( she's with my in-laws as she didn't adjust well to our home and preferred theirs). But Destiny is the only that I've thought this way about. I'm not sure why it's just her. But lord, when the time comes it's going to be hard. I know when she goes, I will always remember he sleeping on my hip or back at night and waking up to her purring beside me. Here are some pics of my beautiful girl!

It's more comfy down here.

"Hi Mum"

Peek-a-boo.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Premier Cat

Wow what a gorgeous Torti!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page