Arianwen's secret to beautiful teeth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Arianwen's secret to beautiful teeth

Arianwen has had this habit forever, and I only understood the significance of it very recently.
After eating her wet food, she is always licking her chops and teeth. Typical kitty, right?
Well, she takes it one step further. Arianwen always munches on some dry food or treats after her wet food dinner. The really cool part of it is that this is the reason for her vet commenting on the unusually good condition of her teeth.
Essentially, Arianwen is the poster child for great feline dentition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Arianwen's secret to beautiful teeth

Psssst. Cats eating dry food doesn't really clean their teeth.
In fact, dry sticks-to-wet and can cause more tooth problems. Think about it like this: Their teeth are sharp and pointy like little mountain ranges and are used to shear through things like scissors, not grind them like our flat molars. Dry food shatters into pieces when they are 'crunched', they do not scrape anything off the tooth like a small mouse's bones would do when they eat live prey and have to shear through the body.

My Marmalade and Mousie would "floss" their teeth.
Mousie liked to pull threads out of my boxspring mattress and hold them taut with her claws to rub her face/teeth through the threads. Marmy would slowly bite down through a yarn blanket until his teeth squeaked. He didn't gnaw or chew, he just slowly squeezed his teeth through the fibers.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Yeah, I think that Arianwen's good teeth are that way genetically -- she's just lucky! There are only 2 ways to clean cat teeth: feeding a raw diet or brushing the cat's teeth. Dry food is more likely to CAUSE a tooth problem than cure it.

How old is Arianwen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I think she's about three and a-half years old.
Marmalade and Mousie were genius-kitties!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Most cats' teeth are quite clean at that age unless they have a genetic disposition towards bad teeth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Cat

Lucky Arianwen! What a blessing to have healthy teeth - it's so hard on a cat otherwise.

Just be careful to watch the teeth situation as she gets older. I did the dry cat food all my cats' lives because I had also heard that it helps keep their teeth clean. Well, poor Snow Cat has had dental surgery twice and is now sporting a mush mouth with only about two teeth left. Emanon has fared better but lately his breath could stun an ox, so I'm thinking he'll be gumming his food too pretty soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page