Baby on the way - what to do with cats???? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Baby on the way - what to do with cats????

We have a baby on the way and my cats pooh outside the litter box. We have tried to correct this problem to no avail. We've considered making them into outdoor cats, but we know that we need to bring them in on bad weather days. Unfortunately since we live in a small 1BR condo we dont have anywhere to keep them safe from the baby. On top of the that they are heavy shedders. Obviously we have the option of giving them away - does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Baby on the way - what to do with cats????

Your first move is to figure out why they poop out of the litter box.... How many cats do you have? How many litter boxes? Do you scoop daily?

I don't think shedding is a reason to get rid of a cat. Try the furminator comb on them...or at least keep them brushed daily and keep lint rollers handy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Cool Cat

Also consider that if the baby is not here yet, you have plenty of time to solve this problem and ensure that cats, parents and baby will live peacefully together. The baby won't be crawling around and in danger of picking up something nasty for a good four months, so that will give you time to see how the cats react to their new housemate. And in the meantime, there are lots of people here on the cat forum who have solved your type of problem and can help you out. I don't have any helpful experience to share, but I wanted to post to encourage you to try to find a solution that involves keeping your kitties! Good luck and congratulations on the baby!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

we've already tried many of the techniques used to curb pooping outside a litter box....using different litter, using different style litter boxes (with and without cover), using one litter box per cat, scooping daily, etc. The vet already knows about this problem and I just dont know what I can do anymore.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

The likelihood of being able to re-home two cats who are pooping outside the box is pretty slim, so this is your problem to solve.

Are you sure that both cats are pooping outside the box? It seems odd to me that they would both have the same problem. Do they ever poop in the box or is it always outside?

Is the poop near the box or are they doing it in a completely different place. Is the place always consistent? Have you cleaned the area with an enzymatic cleaner, if not, that needs to be done. Where is the box located? What kind of litter are you using? Have you tried Cat Attract litter? How large is the box? A friend of mine was having problems with her cat peeing outside the box, she switched to a large storage tote and now the cat uses the box. Give us more detail about the set up and what you've already tried, be specific...e.g. don't just say 'we tried 5 different litters" tell us what brand of litter.

As for shedding...regular brushing helps as does a good diet...high quality wet food does wonders for reducing shedding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Also, what are you feeding? Feeding grain-free canned food instead of high-carb dry will result in fewer stools that are firmer and easier for the cat to control.

Have you had fecal tests run to rule out parasites?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

You have a lot of good advice here!
When you use the enzymatic cleaner, be sure you let it "soak" for at least five minutes before scrubbing, so the enzymes have time to work.
One box per cat, plus one, is a good rule of thumb.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Jr. Cat

Have you tried Cat Attract litter? I haven't needed to use it but I have heard a lot of positive things about it. http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-attract-p-5.html
Are the cats near the box or elsewhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Premier Cat

http://hermitagecats.org/?page_id=106

The Hermitage Cat Shelter has started adopting out cats that didnít always go inside the box. They have developed the Piddle Program for those kitties who need a little help in being reintroduced to their litter boxes. They have had 100% success with this program so far.

There are many reasons cats go outside their box ~ Stress, diet, litter, tritric disease, parasites, etc. A good vet will help you find out what it is and what to do to resolve this.

I would hate to think of your child growing up with out the memories of her companion animals. Just ask anyone to tell you about their pets growing up and they become animated & love talking about them. These are fond memories and deeply seated emotions for people.

I know just talking about getting rid of a companion animal hits a raw nerve with people because 70% of cats entering the shelter system are euthanized. They will never make it back out alive! A shameful statistic in our country.

I know people here are glad to advise you to help turn this around for you. There are very knowledgeable members with lots of experience with cats. Please donít give up on your kitties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page