Blended Family - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Blended Family

Hi I'm new here so please excuse if this question has already been answered.I moved in with my boyfriend last week he has a 5 year old female named Gi who is a little tempermental.I have a 9 year old boy named Mickey who is generally very passive.Mickey came from a house with a very dominant female already so I thiught this was going to be alot easier than it has been.Although we haven't had any knock down drag out fights there has been alot of hissing anf growling.I've had Mickey in the bedr!oom with his food,water and his own litter box.He also has a lovely window seat to see outside.
My problem is it seems that Gi won't let him out of the room! She sits at the door and it's like she's standing guard.When she's in another room sleeping Mickey comes out and explores the whole house and is quite happy but as I was typing this Mickey was using his box and Gi came in hissing so he went back up on his window seat.I'm afraid I'm hurting him by having him here with her,I'm afraid she's tormenting him.
Any advice or a story such as mine with a happy ending would be greatly appreciated.I'm at my wits end and it's breaking my heart to see him trapped by her.
Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Cat

Re: Blended Family

There are lots of threads on how to properly introduce cats to one another in the behaviour section of this forum. Read through a few of those.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Cat Addict

There are a lot of stories and articles about it here. The short story is that they'l need a period of seperation.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I would suggest starting completely over. I split my house in half during the introductions, and Cinderella would do the exact same thing to Cleo, keeping her out of "her" half of the house. It takes time to blend, and they may never be friends, but hopefully can live together without fighting (which is my situation). Here's some good information that should help:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page