Ugh! I canNOT belive this happened! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Ugh! I canNOT belive this happened!

Most of you know that I recently took in Smokey, a kitty who tested positive for both FIV/FeLV. We have been extremely diligent with the interaction between him and the other cats. Whenever we let him out, we ALWAYS pick up all the cats food and water so that they won't eat out of each other's bowls. I leave the litter boxes out because I can immediate scoop them if Smokey were to use them (which he hasn't really shown an interest in), or if the other cats were to use his.

Anyway, my ex-husband let Smokey out of his safe room (my son's room) last night. He didn't pick up any of the cats bowls, so I had my youngest son pick up Smokey's food and water while I picked up the other cats food and water. Smokey spent most of the time downstairs, with the occasional jaunts upstairs. After awhile, my ex got tired of watching Smokey and put him back in my son's room...without checking to see if any of the other cats were in there. About five minutes later, I heard Lauren (my daughter) yell. I head upstairs. Meanwhile, Lauren jumped up and ran in the room to see what was going on. Lucky was crouched in the corner, hissing and Smokey was standing next to him. She picked up Lucky and brought him in her room. By then, I had come upstairs. I asked her what happened and she told me that she heard a screech coming from her brother's room. My youngest son noticed that Lucky's nose was a little redder than usual. Lauren Looked and saw a tiny bit of blood on his nose. We assume that Smokey scratched/nicked him. I asked my ex if he checked our son's room for the other cats before putting Smokey back in there. He said he didn't have to because Lucky is always in Lauren's room and that she should have been keeping an eye on Lucky and should have known where Lucky went. Even though Lucky will spend just a few minutes in her room and will leave to do cat things before coming back for a few minutes.

I cannot believe that a 43-year old man would rather blame his 16-year old daughter than admit that he goofed up. Of course, now he wants Smokey out of here. He has threatened to take him to a shelter if I don't find someone who can take him. I have contacted Cats In Need and there is someone who can take him until the end of May. I hope to get him back when I move out again. Smokey is my baby and I don't want to lose him because my ex is being a jerk.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Re: Ugh! I canNOT belive this happened!

Are the other cats vaccinated against FeLV? if so, going from what I've just read, you have nothing to worry about. A tiny wee scratch wont transmit FIV. Given a proper intro, Smokey doesn't even have to be separated from the other cats and there is no reason why you should be picking up those cat bowls either - IF your other cats are vaccinated against FeLV.

It all sounds very stressful for you

[[[[hugs]]]]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Premier Cat

I imagine there is a pretty good reason behind why he is your 'ex'.
That (blaming child/anyone for something he did/didn't do) would have driven me over the edge of reason and to the Cliffs of Insanity.
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Are the other cats vaccinated against FeLV?
Unfortunately they haven't been vaccinated yet. I was planning on doing it this weekend, but now that Lucky was barely scratched/nicked, I'm wondering if I should take him back in to be tested again. There are absolutely NO marks on either Lucky or Smokey, so whatever happened between them was broken up by Lauren since she went right in the room as soon as she heard the screech. But, at the same time, I know that FeLV is extremely contagious.

One thing that really ticks me off about my ex-husband's attitude is that he's REFUSED to do any research on either FIV or FeLV, but claims to know more about it than me. He continuously refers to Smokey as either "that cat" or "the sick cat". In my eyes, Smokey is not sick. He's happy, healthy, and has actually gained weight since he's been here. He does have two terminal illnesses that will shorten his life span, but he's not "sick". I completely understand where he's coming from, but at least educate yourself before making assumptions about Smokey.

----------
Renée
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

He could, and probably will, live for years, Renee'. However, Smokey will have to be isolated because of the FelV. We took in a stray with FelV, and the poor thing had to live in the laundry room (with visits) until we found a home for him a few months later. He had a wonderful life for about 4 years. Then the illness showed itself. Everyone will have to be extra cautious, as I'm sure you know.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Are the other cats vaccinated against FeLV?
Unfortunately they haven't been vaccinated yet. I was planning on doing it this weekend, but now that Lucky was barely scratched/nicked, I'm wondering if I should take him back in to be tested again. There are absolutely NO marks on either Lucky or Smokey, so whatever happened between them was broken up by Lauren since she went right in the room as soon as she heard the screech. But, at the same time, I know that FeLV is extremely contagious.

One thing that really ticks me off about my ex-husband's attitude is that he's REFUSED to do any research on either FIV or FeLV, but claims to know more about it than me. He continuously refers to Smokey as either "that cat" or "the sick cat". In my eyes, Smokey is not sick. He's happy, healthy, and has actually gained weight since he's been here. He does have two terminal illnesses that will shorten his life span, but he's not "sick". I completely understand where he's coming from, but at least educate yourself before making assumptions about Smokey.
Chances are, the FIV wont shorten his lifespan at all, but I suspect its a different story with the FeLV. I didn't realise that the other cats had not been vaccinated against the FeLV - do not let the cats mix at all until this is done. I would never have said to introduce the cats yet if I had known the others had not been vaccinated - I assumed that they had. You can allow Smokey free range (after a proper intro) as regards to the FIV but not the FeLV until after they have been vaccinated.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Ditto melysion -- and I would re-test the other cats in 6 mos to make sure none of them contracted FeLV while they were allowed access.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Tom Cat

My4kitties,

I apologize if you have already answered this in another thread, but did you have the official confirmation (not just the antibody snap test) test of Smokey's FeLV+ status?

I know that you are trying to save money, but this seems like *so* much hassle (although worth it for a great kitty!) and I know you are trying to test your other cats. I have no idea how much the "official" test would cost, but maybe it might cost as much as having the others tested, and then you would know for sure?

I work at a feral/low cost cat clinic and we usually get about 3-4 positive cats each time (every Saturday). Some we PTS, others not, and those that we PTS I always wonder if they just tested positive because they were vaccinated, or if they really have a virus.

Just wondering!!!

-BP
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

We got a false positive (or temporary positive) on one of my cats after we took in a sweet stray temporarily. The next test was negative, and she died of old age. So it's possible. The stray got a wonderful home, where he was treated like a human baby! He was so loved.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Premier Cat

Felv is contagious but chances are your other cats will be fine. I really wouldn't panic. Think about it, if it were that contagious, every stray cat we ever pick up would be positive! Obviously, they should be separated because no one would ever want to risk a healthy cat catching it but, honestly, the odds are in your kitties' favor. I would have them tested in 6 or so months just to make sure, but try not to worry in the meantime.
I would also definitely have Smokey tested again if you haven't already. False positives are quite common and it would be a shame to go through all this if he doesn't even have it!
And lastly, I think it might be a good idea to quarantine ex hubby.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page