Traveling Abroad - Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Traveling Abroad - Help

Greetings!

My name is Brad - my best friend, Taco, is a 4-month old tabby living in Chicago with me. Thank you in advance to those who can provide their experience-based advice.

I have to travel to Argentina for 2 months: April - June. I talked to the vet, airlines and the Argentina consultate. They said there are no issues, other than some paperwork and an extra $300 roundtrip cost. That's fine with me...however, he will be placed in cargo and the flight will be 14-22 hours, with one or two stops. My other options are: leaving him with a friend or boarding him for the two months

Has anybody ever done this or know somebody who has? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I have read posts online and seen opinions about animal cruelty, etc from people who do not know. Taco and I are sitting at the computer looking forward to hearing concrete, honest advice . Because, like all of you, I only want what's best for my cat!

Thank you again,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Traveling Abroad - Help

Well.. does he do well in carriers?

I guess there's a lot of stuff you need to weigh, besides cost for airfare. Like... when you stay "stops" do you mean layovers, or switching planes? If your trip requires you to switch planes at all, I wouldn't take him. What if they lost him? It happens a lot more than you hear.

He won't be able to have water on this trip, so hopefully he likes canned food. I don't think I'd be okay with a cat without water for almost a whole day, with only dry food to eat. And a litter box.. he will need to relieve himself on the trip, that's for sure. You'll probably need to build a custom carrier for him (to fit a small litter box and bed, and hand a food dish off the side somehow).

So that versus leaving him there. Option 1) boarding. Can be pricey, but if you get a good place you know he'd get the care he needs and attention/etc. He may or may not be the same cat when you come back though.. I mean, nothing major would change.. but he will be older. You'd be guarenteed to get him back on your return. Option 2) Having a friend watch him. Do you have someone you'd trust with his life? They'd be in charge ofmaking sure he gets what he needs and whatnot... what if they fell in love with him in the 2mths and didn't want to return him? It has happened. A contract would be a necessity here and friends might be offended by that. What if they lost him outside by accident?

It's a hard choice. I'd likely board him. More money, but he's be safest and likely you'd sleep better knowing where he was (and having access to the good vet care). If it was a couple years, I'd bring him with me.. but for 8 weeks? It's not worth the stress on the cat to me.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Premier Cat

Ive heard horror stories from my friends, who work at the airlines, about animals in cargo. Ive also had to go pick up my friend's show dog that was being shipped. I wasnt impress with how unorganized they were, when trying to find the dog and lack of care they felt while keeping the dog. But I have high standards to!

I know several members here have moved with their cats internationally. Hopefully they will see this thread and help you with this.

Im now facing getting two cats from Arizona to North Carolina and I refuse to put them in cargo. Unless they can go on the plane with me then Im going to drive them.

Could you find a friend to cat sit your dear boy for the two months you are away? Cats are not big on change. Hed probably be happier waiting at home for you to come back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your replies.

If I leave him here, I have a friend who would take excellent care of him - she has her own cat and he loves her. He would be in great hands. I am just concerned that we might not have the same relationship when I get back (is that rational?) Plus I would miss him like crazy! I would really like to spend those 8-9 weeks with him.

I also don't want to run the risk of traumatizing the poor guy on this flight. I will look forward to hearing about other experiences on the site. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Premier Cat

He wont forget you. I havent been gone as long as you are going to be but I do know they remember you. Ive visited cats Ive fostered and theyve remember me even after a year!

I vote leaving him home. Esp since there is someone there he loves.

My son stayed with my new kitten when I went to Switzerland for 2 weeks. He said my kitten ~ Mittens~ would circle my home crying looking for me every night. Cats form strong bonds with their people. You sound like a good cat daddy!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

Although I've no experience on this, my heart would say leave him at home with your friend. He'd be happier, I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page