Cat Safety Collars - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat Safety Collars

My cat George gets fed by other people and rarely comes home because of this. My other cat, Pebbles stays at home most of the time but goes out sometimes and I'm worried someone will start feeding him. I want to get him a collar so people know he has an owner and so if he does ever go missing we can give a better description of him. Since October I've used 2 cheap flea collars as temporary collars but I want to get him a better one. He broke his last flea collar so at the moment he isn't wearing a collar. I've heard about cat safety collars, do you think these are the best collars to buy? I'd like one thats quite strong but wouldn't get him caught up in trees. Has anyone got one for their cat? How long did they last before they broke or came off your cat?

"If you want the best seat in the house - you'll have to move the cat"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Cat

Re: Cat Safety Collars

Both of our (indoor-only) cats wear safety collars. Desdemona's had hers on for two years, no breakage. Last summer, I came home one day to see a collarless Othello. We were baffled about what could have happened to his collar, and finally went and got him a new collar and tag. A month or two later, we went to use the sewing machine for the first time in a while, and there it was - Othello must have been poking and rubbing around the underside of the sewing machine table and gotten his collar caught, and the clasp broke away, just the way it's supposed to. So, I'd say safety collars work.

You might want to consider getting your free-roaming kitties microchipped, too - the collar is a nice visible form of ID, but a microchip can't come off or get lost, so the combination of the two is probably a good idea.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you, I'm going to get Pebbles a safety collar tommorow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NosyKitty

I second the micro-chip. Some areas are worse than others, but there are people in this world who will steal pets to sell or keep for themselves etc.

Ninja is indoor-only, but one of my old cats, who I loved more than anything else, went outside one day as usual and never came home. I had a very strong bond with him so he would never just leave and not come back. As you can probably imagine, I was absolutely devastated. This was 10 years ago and I still cry if I really think about him. And to this day I can't help but wonder what happened to him, whether he was hit and killed, stolen or what.

As for George being fed by others, you could always try attaching a note to his new collar saying, "Please don't feed me, I get plenty at home," or something. This is the great dog story (posted in lounge) that made me think of doing that:

Quote:
Best Dog Story Ever

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard.

I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of.

He calmly came over to me; I gave him a few pats on his head;

He then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep.

An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour. This continued off and on for several weeks.

Curious I pinned a note to his collar: 'I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.'

The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar: 'He lives in a home with 6 children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?'
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosyKitty
I second the micro-chip. Some areas are worse than others, but there are people in this world who will steal pets to sell or keep for themselves etc.

Ninja is indoor-only, but one of my old cats, who I loved more than anything else, went outside one day as usual and never came home. I had a very strong bond with him so he would never just leave and not come back. As you can probably imagine, I was absolutely devastated. This was 10 years ago and I still cry if I really think about him. And to this day I can't help but wonder what happened to him, whether he was hit and killed, stolen or what.

As for George being fed by others, you could always try attaching a note to his new collar saying, "Please don't feed me, I get plenty at home," or something. This is the great dog story (posted in lounge) that made me think of doing that:

Quote:
Best Dog Story Ever

An older, tired-looking dog wandered into my yard.

I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home and was well taken care of.

He calmly came over to me; I gave him a few pats on his head;

He then followed me into my house, slowly walked down the hall, curled up in the corner and fell asleep.

An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, greeted me in my yard, walked inside and resumed his spot in the hall and again slept for about an hour. This continued off and on for several weeks.

Curious I pinned a note to his collar: 'I would like to find out who the owner of this wonderful sweet dog is and ask if you are aware that almost every afternoon your dog comes to my house for a nap.'

The next day he arrived for his nap, with a different note pinned to his collar: 'He lives in a home with 6 children, 2 under the age of 3 - he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?'

I got a safety collar for Pebbles today and I'll ask my Mum about getting them microchipped, thank you

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Cat

My cat used to wear one of those Safecat collars. They clip together and when subjected to more force, the collar will pop open to free the cat. It was difficult for me to use because he prefers to not wear a collar and figured how to take it off by scratching forcefully at the collar and triggering the safety release clip. Something I have instead for him is an elastic collar that some pet stories still sell. If he needs to get out of the collar, it will still stretch sufficiently, but he has a much harder time taking the collar off. He doesn't really hate his collar per say, but if he finds a way to take it off, he will do it. With the clip on collar he used to take it off almost daily...

I read that collars are still the most effective way to be re-united with your pet even if it is microchipped as sometimes they can be missed on scans, some shelters do not have the equipment to read the chip, or some chips are still in formats difficult to read. If I were you, I'd chip and put a collar on. That's what my kitty has .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page