Taught by Cats ...what have you learned?... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Taught by Cats ...what have you learned?...

My teachers could not speak words, nor write, nor communicate beyond body language, instinctual reactions and sounds unique to their species. Cats taught me how to ‘read’ them, how to ‘communicate’ with them through gestures, body language and simple sounds to understand what they were 'saying' to me. I learned through observation and trial & error; attempting to apply what I thought would work and learning from what did and didn’t work.

Cats have taught me about great love, too. They taught me that I must take special care of the very young and very old and nurture them through all stages of their lives. To speak for those without voices to rescue them from their pain and ensure they are properly cared for. I learned there are no short-cuts to love and trust, that it must begin with a strong foundation before it can build and grow. I learned responsibility for others than myself. I learned that responsibility involves hard work; when others rely on me there are no days off. I also learned that after the hard work, I am rewarded with happy and healthy animals who enjoy my company and who allow me to enjoy and share in their lives ... and their enrichment of my life is priceless.

What have you learned by sharing your life with cats?
How have cats enriched your life?
What have cats taught you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Taught by Cats ...what have you learned?...

the pleasure of knowing a heart without malice.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Cat Addict

Patience! I am not naturally a patient person...my cat has taught me to stand and ponder life whilst waiting for him to decide if he would prefer to go in or out of the door he is currently sitting in whilst I am waiting to close it..

He has also taught me that no cat will go to bed without a slice of best roast ham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Premier Cat

My cats have taught me that I had a huge reservoir of untapped nurturing abilities. I've never had kids and wouldn't have thought of myself as nurturing, but sure enough, you bring home a little one who's dependent on you for food and their whole lives, basically, and I came on like gangbusters.

I've learned how much I love cats. I love the fact that they're completely themselves 100% of the time. There's no fakery or ulterior motives. They're not doing a thing for our benefit. I like the idea of having that kind of freedom, and it makes me appreciate it that much more when they're affectionate or following me around the house, because you can trust it.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Cat

My cats have taught me that I can't always be in control of things.

I can't make them do what I want them to do when I want them to do it. I can't make them do anything they're not of the mind to do. Basically, they've taught me to chill.

This has been very positive for cats, son and husband. And for me - life is better when you can relax and enjoy it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Cat

My cats have taught me to clean up gross things. Cleaning poop up off the floor is not something i'd have done before cats!!! So I've become much less prissy when it comes to cleaning.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Cat Addict

My cats have taught me the importance of respecting their wishes. Even though I am bigger then them and can force them to do things they don't want to - like sit on my lap and be pet when they would rather not. To have a real relationship with these furry little beings their wishes must be respected. (Although not at 4 am when they want to be fed.)

My cats have helped to fill the large void in my life that came when my children moved out.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Jr. Cat

Like any pet you get the privilege of owning in your lifetime, there will always be something that you learn and gain from. Pets and cats will impact you most definitely, that's if you accept and let them into your heart. Opens a whole new world meeting a cat of your own.

I have learned responsibility of course, a good deal of it and A LOT of attention. Cats will be determined to get whatever they want, when they want it.. you have to be prepared

You learn compassion and will have sympathy for them when they pass one day, everything will be remembered and cherished, every single moment.

Cats like a clean litterbox, they aren't as dirty as dogs appear to be and like to be, being a clean person and all myself. They like a clean bathroom as you do.

They don't care about what they look like and don't care of what you look like. They will not judge you and will love you.. if you can return it.

There might be more, but I cannot think of anymore..

Heather~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats".
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Arianwen has taught me some very important things.
That even when you have limited resources, you find a way to do what is needed just by saying,"I can!".
She taught me how to let go of my pain, both physical and emotional.
She taught me that life can be rebuilt, no matter what happened in the past.
She taught me that I have room again in my heart for another very special kitty

and a few miscellaneous "crazy cat-man" things, too
She taught me proper use and application of my sense of smell, comes in very handy when cooking.
How to open my heart and mind to communicate with her in some very surprising ways
She taught me that when it comes down to it, most of what we consider very important, really isn't.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Cat

My cat's have taught me what unconditional love is They've taught me that no matter how hard we may struggle at certain times in our lives that we will always prevail. They've helped me not to give up on myself when life got tough. They've taught me that all of the stereotypes about cats by people who don't own cats aren't true. They've humbled me, inspired me, and consoled me. There aren't enough words to even say what I've learned from my cats over the years, all I know is I couldn't live my life without them.

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page