Cat affected by Break in - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat affected by Break in

My partner and I recently moved into a new place with our two 4 month old kittens Shivas (boy) & Monet (Girl). We came home one morning after work ( we both do night shift) to find that our place had been broken into. Luckily they didn't harm the cats or leave any doors or windows open so they where still there when we came home. We could tell straight away something was wrong because they didnt come running out to greet us as usual. Shivas recovered quickly after a few cuddles but Monet is still seeming very rattled by it all she's become even more timid then usual jumps at the slightest noise, hides when she hears any footsteps in the hall and doesn't leave my side. She's still eating and drinking but just isnt herslf. The Vet told us to give it time and she will be fine. I'm proberly just over sensitive when it comes to her but I was wondering if there is anything I can do for her or should I just do as the Vet says and give it time.

"Cat ppl are different because they generally are not conformists. How could they be with a cat running their lives?" -
Louis J. Camuti, D.V.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat affected by Break in

I'm so sorry to hear you got broken into. I lived in a house that was broken into back in my 20s, and I'll never forget what an eery, disturbing feeling it was.

I don't think there's much you can do with Monet except continue to be affectionate and reassure her that things are back to normal.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Cat Addict

My place got broken into back in May of last year. I was at work. My cousin was living with me at the time and she got out of the shower and noticed that my boy, Teddy, instead of trying to pull her clothes and bathmat out from under the bathroom door he was hiding around the corner in her bedroom looking as though he had seen a ghost. She gets the hebie-gebies and starts looking around and notices that her laptop is missing from the livingroom. She also notices that her purse is missing from the kitchen. She runs to get her phone but it was charging on her laptop. Long story short. She calls the cops. They come we make a report. She eventually gets her purse and everything in it back because a good samaritian saw the thief rooting through it and called the cops. They never caught him though

Anyway, Teddy hid for the next 2 weeks. Although when I was home he would hide as close to me as he could possibly get. He slowly got more settled. Although he would hide whenever a stranger came in the house for 3 months.

Don't worry, your kitty will come around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to Cat Forum, and I'm sorry you and your kitties had a truamatic break-in. There is nothing like having that violated feeling about your home and I hope the thieves didn't take too much.
The best thing you can do for Monet right now is going to be a balancing act; You need to respect her fears, but you also need to coax her back to confidence so the fear doesn't remain a permanant fixture in her life. The best way to do this is to be patient and persistent in gently handling her and helping her to relax while you are handling her. IME, this confidence when being around her trusted people and handled by them will eventually carry over into the rest of her life and she'll return to being confident within herself and her home. However, be aware that this experience may have simply been too much for her delicate personality and she may retain all, most, part or some of this wariness for the rest of her life ... but I feel if you are consistent about helping her she can overcome quite a bit of this, especially if you do not let this "fear" become permanantly set.
Best wishes,
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Premier Cat

With time, and lots of snuggling and reassurance, Monet wil come around. Good thing they weren't hurt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Cat

Good thing they were not hurt indeed. The good thing is that cats can often sense trouble and are extremely good at hiding. My place was broken into when I was in high school and my childhood cat was there. She was not hurt, nor all that shook up fortunately. I hope you filed a good police report. If you haven't already, be sure to change your locks and install a security system if you can. That is what my parents did. It was a very eerie feeling indeed. We had a wait a few days to have the locks changed (they were busted, so we pretty much could not lock our house for a few days). During that time it was obvious the person kept coming back, furniture kept shifting when we got home...really creepy and you wonder if that person is still in the house...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

What a frightening thought!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for all your support. Monet is still pretty timid but she has started playing and picking on her brother again which we are taking as a good sign. I think she will probably be timid with strangers from now on but she is getting better day by day which is a huge relief. I was advised to give her one of my old night shirts for when I'm not at home and she has taken to carrying it like a safety blanket its pretty cute to see. We found out that they broke in by pushin against a window (shows how great the security was). We have also got dowel in all the windows and are getting secutiry screens so this should prevent it from happening again. The police think it was a group of youth's as the only thing's they took was a pearl and amethyst necklace of mine and a couple of coin jars. More then anything i just hate the whole violation of it all.

"Cat ppl are different because they generally are not conformists. How could they be with a cat running their lives?" -
Louis J. Camuti, D.V.M.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here's a picture of Monet and Shivas. Monet is the calico cat and Shivas is the cream one.

Louis J. Camuti, D.V.M.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Premier Cat

Oooooh, they are beautiful kitties! ...I completely understand your feelings about the violation of your home. We were *home* and watching a movie in the LivingRoom, right next to the garage, and a man walked down our driveway, broad daylight, and stole a weedeater out of the garage. He carried it about 3 houses down to the neighborhood 'drug-house' with known problems. Another neighbor saw him do it and called us.
45min from theft to arrest.
If the neighbor hadn't seen, we'd have suspected but never known who had done it. Of course, after the theft we took steps to secure our property and haven't had another problem. Oh, and the guy? Prison for breaking a parole violation and multiple other thefts showing a clear pattern of no attempt to keep himself straight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page