Stepdad is allergic to our new cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Stepdad is allergic to our new cat!

Hello everyone

Firstly, hello - I'm new here. My name is Ana and Im a 20 year old student and I've had cats my whole life. 3 growing up, called Bonnie, Maisie and Chiko and more recently, one of my own, Kitty. I currently split my timebetween my London home for university and my family home in Crawley where I stay with my Mum and her fiance, aka my stepdad, Nick.

For the last few years I've suffered from PTSD after a difficult childhood, and although usually cope well, following some stressful family issues regarding my biological dads health - who I am still very close to, (he has secondary cancer and is very poorly), my PTSD became unbearable and I made the decision to get a cat to keep me company and to cheer me up. I went to an RSPCA centre and got a lovely little tortie cat called Kitty. Shes about 11 months old. Lovely little thing, very snuggly - on her terms of course! - being a typical tortie! But a lovely cat all the same, very sweet and happy to do her own thing when I'm out and about. Since getting her she has undoubtedly made my PTSD a lot easier. It's amazing how whenever I feel upset or down about my Dads cancer or feel scared about what the future holds, just holding her in my lap and listening to her purr and talking to her about my day, just makes everything goes away. She's been with us a month now and everyone has become very attached and she is already a loved part of the family. The problem is, what was unknown to everyone - even him! - my stepdad has turned out to be allergic to cats!

He had no idea he was allergic but it's slowly been building up the last couple of weeks and we're almost 80% sure its Kitty. She isn't long haired like a persian but I think shes some sort of persian cross, so her fur - although not really longer than a shorthaired cat and is very fluffy and fine. My step dad is finding it very difficult to breathe and complaining of a tight chest. It's quite bad and he cant even sleep properly. He went to the dr and they gave him an inhaler and some pills. The problem with the inahler is my stepdad is a firefighter and cannot use an inhaler in his job for obvious reasons. We're still waiting to see if the pills works. He's been taking them for 4 days now but isnt sure he feels better. I'm trying to keep faith. One of my friends was allergic to her cat but started taking allergy medication and now shes fine and can cuddle her cat like normal and everything.

I guess what I'm asking, is what if the pills dont work? I'm very attached to Kitty, and although I will be moving in to a new house in September and taking her wth me - what can we do till then? Does anyone know any tricks - no matter how weird they sound - for maybe lessening the effects of cat allergies? We're already trying the obvious ones like not letting her on my mum and stepdads bed, brushing her reguarly etc, but is there anything else anyone knows about?

Much love,
Ana xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Stepdad is allergic to our new cat!

I am concerned about the fact that your stepfather is a firefighter. That must be very hard on his lungs.

My DIL is allergic to cats, but the allergy produced only head congestion, and eventually, she seemed to get used to her own animals. She and my son have two dogs and two cats. I sincerely hope all works out this well for your stepfather.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Have you tried using topical treatments like Allerpet on Kitty? Its a clear, odorless solution that you apply to the cat once/week to reduce allergens. I used it on my cat in college because BF was really allergic. BF was amazed because he was not allergic to my cat at all, even tho that kitty would follow him around all the time.

Its worth mentioning that BF didn't live with me - was just over a couple days/nights a week. BUT maybe the Allerpet combined with the meds your stepdad is taking would calm the reactions to a tolerable level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Cat Addict

We use the Allerpet shampoo on our kitty about every ten days, and it really helps, same manufacturer as the other product. I have read that even a simple rinse in warm water helps keep the allergens down. The protein in the saliva on their fur is what causes the allergy, not the actual shed fur.

Good luck, I think you should be able to make the situation better with a little bit of extra work...

Fran
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Premier Cat

Ive never heard of Allerpet. What a great tip. Thanks for mentioning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page