Hiding Places and The Things They Carry... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hiding Places and The Things They Carry...

I thought this might be a fun post to talk about what your kitties collect and where they hide them! (As I recently stumbled across a NEST of items...)

Basil only collects round things -- rubber bands, bottle cap rings, and hair ties. He usually finds some corner near where he sleeps to stuff them.

Moxie, however, is a completely different story! I was moving the furniture and came across a bunch of nerf darts, styrofoam packing peanuts, buttons, string, toy mice, rubber bands, hair clips and ties... she mostly pushes them under furniture that has an inch or two of space (silly me, I thought she was accidentally losing her toys rather than STASHING them!) but she also puts them under the bathroom rug.

Also, what do you suppose this behavior comes from? Some sort of competitive territorial thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Cat

Re: Hiding Places and The Things They Carry...

My cat doesn't do that. Although he does have a tendency towards stringy items like ribbons, yarns, even thinly cut pieces of paper. Sounds to me like something similar to what cats do in the wild with their prey. They hide it from other competitors .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

There's always toys under the furniture here and I do just believe they're accidentally lost. But Holly had a real nest of furry mice in the hall closet. One of my sweatshirts had fallen on the floor and when I went to pick it up, I found about 5 furry mice in it and 2 of them were actually in the pocket. She doesn't have access to this closet unless I go in it for something and I don't leave the door open...so she was sneaking in there when she could and stashing her mousies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Premier Cat

We had a TV entertainment unit in a corner with a triangle space behind it and I left a lower bookshelf area open so they could pass through and I would watch one of our cats drag a 3' leather string in there and come out with a 3' fabric shoelace. He was exchanging his toys!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

The real toy box is under the couch. We do a clean sweep under there with the stick of DaBird, and out come a pet shop full of toys, which Murphy always takes an immediate interest in. He also keeps his little mice in his food bowl, for reasons I haven't completely figured out.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Cat Addict

The front entryway closet always has several of Mia's 'pipe cleaner' toys in it. I can see how she'd like to play with them out on the tile where they slide around more but it's surprising how many end up sliding under the door into that closet. She has her little paws under there a lot trying to snag one.

I clean it out every night when I get home and find 3 or 4 of them in there.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Cat

Bosses bed is his hiding place. Funny enough we use it as a toy ben not really a bed some with dog.

He also hide stuff in the bathroom no other pet but him is aloud in there so thats his hiding spot bedie the toilet and his litter box.

we sweep under the couches once a week and normally find a hole lot of toys. He hides stuff in the back of the couches to because we took the bottom cover off because of this and not being able to get to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page