Litter box suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Litter box suggestions?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for certain litterboxes, if the brand and dimensions can be provided so I can google it or find it on Amazon, that would be great. Snowy is fine per the vet, but he has a habit of occasionally pooping or even peeing outside the box. I clean it everyday, it is a sufficient size, and it is in a quiet location in our bathroom. I admit, my bf still gets queesy when it comes to pee and poo, so when I do out of town rotations for school, I come on the weekends to find poo piled there at times. Kitty does have fewer mishaps with a cleaner box but it still happens.

No obvious distress or issues when I actually watch him do the #1 or #2.

But, I find that his butt hangs a little too far over the box, perhaps he miscalculates. Sometimes when urinating he'll slowly lift his butt up as he is finishing and sprays outside.

The Biddy litter box looks nice as it is larger and deeper. But how deep is too deep and how shallow is too shallow? I don't want kitty to do acrobatics everytime he has has to go, but it is getting sometimes difficult to clean the pee out of the crevices in the bathroom.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

Re: Litter box suggestions?

The Biddy Cat box is my favorite. It's certainly not "too deep" unless you have a very old, disabled cat!

That said, if your cat is having LB mistakes, I would first rule out UTIs. A trip to the vet is in order.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NosyKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetyanna
I don't want kitty to do acrobatics everytime he has has to go.
Sorry, I understand your concern, but at the same time, the feline, IS the acrobat of the animal world. So I wouldn't worry about that part too much.

As for accidentally poopin off the edge of the box, **it happens..(Once again, sorry, couldn't help it)

Size and depth don't matter too much, just go with whatever works for your cat.

-You can just use a deeper box to prevent him from accidentally hanging his butt out.

-You can you a covered litter box to also prevent this. But since the box isn't cleaned out everyday or probably even every other day, a cover might not be a great idea since cover = more smell, faster.

-If you can't find a litter box deep enough, you could even use something like that blue bin behind your cat in you avatar, cut it down a little if you want.

-I personally would try to help my cat understand that he needs to watch where his butt is pointed in the box. Watch him when he goes, and if he starts to "hang out" then push his butt back in. Praise him when he gets it all inside the box. Some cats will get this, some won't.

-I would also tell your bf to man up and clean out the box when your gone. If there aren't so many poops and pee balls lying around in the box, your cat won't have to "tippy toe" around in there or have to take an awkward stance to avoid soiling himself.

-I use the plastic litter liner bags so all I have to do is tighten the draw strings and throw the bag in the trash just like a garbage bag. I use the regular solid liners, BUT they also make liners with holes in the bottom that act as a strainer.
So all you have to do is lay a few bags in there. Then everyday/everyother day, lift the bag, let the clean litter fall through and throw it away.

-Last option is more expensive and wasteful, but if BF just will not scoop or use the liners, maybe you could buy several of those disposable litter boxes to use when your gone. Fill it with a small amount of litter and just have BF throw the whole thing away and refill a new one once a day.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Cat Addict

Litter liners.

I do learn something new and valuable that improves the quality of my life on cat forumn almost every day. I didn't know they existed.

And here's something else I found while searching for litter liners that might help.

High back pan liners

http://www.cheappetstore.com/Cats-Kitte ... al-178180/

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NosyKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
Litter liners.

I do learn something new and valuable that improves the quality of my life on cat forumn almost every day. I didn't know they existed.
I LOVE using them!

I scoop everyday, that doesn't bother me at all. What IS annoying and gross, is having to scrub the glued-on waste stuck to the bottom of the box when it's time to change the litter.

Now, all I have to do is toss the bag, throw on a new one and fill.

No more mess, no more glued-on pee, no need to disinfect anything and no more using mom's shower tub to wash the dirty box, which means no more hearing any of this, "Lea!! Why is there litter in my tub!?"
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Cat Addict

They really are going to improve the quality of my life. I don't scoop. I do a full dump every other night. Even with the clay litter there was some dust in the air after I poured the pans into a lined garbage pail and last night was a bad "first". I had left the litter in the car last night and had to go get it after I emptied both litter boxes. Fay decided to use the empty box while I was getting the litter. I just poured over it last night but it's box scrubbing time on Saturday....unless I buy a high backed one. The high backed one looks like a good deal. Mia manages to throw litter out of the box a lot because she hops out then leans in and buries with her fron "arm". This could get her aiming her litter at the high back

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

I reallly caution against using liners. All they do is allow the urine to pool in the folds and make it impossible to remove EVERY single bit of pee clump when you scoop. If you scoop at least once a day (which takes about 30 seconds) and do a good job of it, you will have a smell-free box. I almost NEVER completely dump my litterboxes b/c I remove all waste when I scoop. Every box I've ever seen where a liner was used stank, honestly, and if it doesn't stink to a human, it still will to a cat. You just can't do a good job w/ urine clumps w/ a flexible, moving substrate.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Cat Addict

I'll still be doing the full dump every 2 days. It's what the girls expect and I gag at the slightest smell of kitty waste. I mean really gag. By doing it that often I never smell a thing.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Yeah--I guess that if you dump the whole thing and dispose of the liner every 2 days that's fine -- not time for much to build up in the folds. Most people don't do that, though.

My boxes are completely smell-free. I have 3 cats and 2 boxes and a fairly sensitive nose--even when scooping them I smell nothing. Of course, my cats eat raw, and that means small, smell-free, and infrequent poops (poops are what actually smell in the litterbox mostly, unless you don't scoop regularly).
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Cat Addict

You should have seen me last night when Fay deposited in the empty box. Litter is the reason I went so many years without a cat. If Fay hadn't decided to move in the thought of litter probably would have kept me from every actually getting a cat so while I spend a fortune on litter it's worth it for all of us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page