New and need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

New and need advice

Hi I'm new here but so glad to find a place to talk about my babies!
My cat Bella is going to give birth to her/my first litter. I'm getting nervous and don't know what to expect! The only place I think she would go to have them is under my bed (we have no closets or anything else) If she does have them under there how soon can I move them to a safer place? I have a crate with blankets and towels for her and them ready by my bed. The biggest worry is the father. Will he try to hurt them? Bella and Zach are both indoor cats and have always been, they are also brother and sister. Zach has an apt to be nutered on Tuesday. Anyway thanks for listening and I would love any and all advice! I am so excited and can't wait but it is also kind of scary.....will she handle it ok if it is under the bed where I can't get to her/do I need to help her??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Re: New and need advice

Yikes--they're brother and sister? You should be prepared for the very real possibility of birth defects. Please, please, please get the male to the vet NOW NOW NOW and get him neutered. I don't understand how this was allowed to happen.

And yes, for safety, give the female privacy and keep the male away.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to CatForum, ditto to what Hoof said and I hope we can help.

First, I think it would be in *both* of your cats' best interests if you isolate them for the birth and initial raising. Mother cats can be very quiet, easy-going and loving ... but after they give birth it seems like some hormone kicks on a survival instinct and there is a very high probability that she will become extremely aggressive about protecting her litter by attacking her brother to drive him away.
She will not be able to help doing that, instinct and hormones will be demanding of her to safeguard her litter at all costs.
So, keep a door closed between the adult cats. I have only had one litter born in my home as an adult, and only a very few born when I was a child at home, so I have very little practical experience. With my pregnant foster in 2004 I set her up in the bathroom with a large cat carrier, but ideally a 2'x2' box with a top and a hole cut for access/privacy would be roomy enough for her to maneuver around for birth and re-settling down with little danger of smothering a kitten in too-cramped quarters. I also like to use towels placed inside a pillowcase as bedding because the loops on towels can catch kitten claws and they get stuck, the smooth pillowcase prevents that.
Best of luck and I hope everything goes smoothly.
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Premier Cat

Hello and welcome

Agreed, separating the father from the mother and kittens is very important for the reasons Heidi gave you. The mother and kittens should be the ones confined. This way the kittens, once big enough, have only small area to explore (which will need kitten-proofing), and it limits where the mom can move them.

As for a nesting location, it should be private but also accessible to you. You will need to be able to check on the mom during the birthing as well as access the kittens.

I like Heidi's idea of the pillowcase so you don't have to worry about little claws getting snagged in the material.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It's unfortunate that siblings mated. I sincerely hope all of the kittens are normal and healthy.

My mother Siamese especially liked the closet. I had a box for her beside my bed, of course, but if I fell asleep, she gave birth in the closet. I hope you can be with her, in case the kittens come too quickly, and you have to remove a sack and/or rub up a kitten who isn't squeaking. I moved the kittens, but don't be surprised if she moves them again. When they are newborn, I wouldn't handle them unless it was necessary, but by all means, as they become a bit more active, they should get used to your gentle touch.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page