Tricky situtation... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tricky situtation...

Hello I just joined in hopes of getting some advice on a tricky situation I have. My girlfriend and I moved in together a few months ago and she had to leave her cat at home because her mom would not let her have the cat. She is now trying to get her to give the cat to her. She has considered just taking the cat with out her mothers consent but is wondering if there will be any legality issues then. She bought the cat 7 years ago. The cat has never been taken to the vet by her parents in the 7 year of ownership, the cat is also not microchipped and has no paperwork as far as who the owner is. Ever since my girlfriend moved in we have noticed that the cat has been getting skinnier and skinnier and has been shedding quiet a bit...just need some advice on what to do...or not to do. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tricky situtation...

WHO bought the cat? Receipt? Legally, that is who owns the cat and if your gf bought the kitty and her parents are holding it hostage AND not caring for it properly, that could be considered animal abuse.
Perhaps contact local law enforcement to ask what your options are.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My gf paid for the cat when she was about 12 but she has no receipts of buying the cat. Their excuse that it would be detrimental to their younger daughter and just refusing to give up the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Premier Cat

What young daughter? Your GF's younger sister? Has your GF spoken with her sister?
I just don't like the fact that the kitty appears to be doing poorly. Can your GF discuss the kitty's current poor condition with her parents?

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes my gf has talked to her younger sister. Her sister is in no way as close to the cat as my gf is. My gf was extremely close with the cat for 7 years. She doesnt want to report animal abuse bc she purchased 2 cats the one she wants and its sister. The sister of the cat is doing great bc it is close with her father. She does not want the other cat to suffer from losing its companionship with her father and be placed in a shelter bc she is unable to take both cats. But the cat she wants to take is getting skinny and is deficating on the floor after she leaves everytime she comes over briefly. The parents are completely unreasonable. So I'm wondering if neither have proof that the cat is theirs, could she possible just take the cat? the parents might call the cops but probably wont take her to court. If she takes the cat to the vet and microchips it, then will that be sufficient proof that the cat is hers and not have any legal problems?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Premier Cat

My sincerest apologies, but I do not feel comfortable giving advice (which would be more like inaccurate personal opinion) about legal matters. You'll have to discuss this yourself with local law enforcement. In general, I do think bringing the kitty to the vet for an exam would be beneficial to help determine if there is a medical problem causing her inappropriate elimination.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Premier Cat

If this cat is not being taken care of properly and is getting skinny I would just take the cat. this cat needs to be taken to a vet right away. Bottom line is the best interest of the cat and it quality of life and health. Most of all be in a loving devoted home.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Cat

I wonder if Mom is keeping the cat a punishment for her daughter moving in with you, and compounding her mistake by not caring for the cat. If the cat hasn;t seen a vet in 7 years it sounds, given it's current condition, like it's time. Can you ever access the cat while mom's out of the house?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
The parents are completely unreasonable. So I'm wondering if neither have proof that the cat is theirs, could she possible just take the cat?
Ive been in a lawsuit with ex business colleagues. From that I learned that, just as Heidie says, the legal system isn't interested in word against word. In cases like that they'll pretty much say, though somewhat politer: "We're not interested in your boring bickering, all we want to see is the receipt, thank you very much."
If your mom won't contest that you bought it, Im pretty sure they'll say the cat is yours case closed.

I also once phoned a lawyer with a problem once for a no charge query whether I had a case, he gave me a rough explanation as to why I did and gave me a little too much info, which I used successfully. His voice was a little chilly when I phoned him and cancelled our appointment saying things had worked out...he realized he'd helped me too much on the phone.

A legal problem as small as this, you could probably just phone the local police station and ask (which will also look good in your papers, should the unlikelyhood of this going to lawyers occur).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

The GF "bought" the cat when she was 12. That means that the parents "bought" the cat b/c underage children cannot enter into contracts. And no court would be willing to deal w/ this as there is no real $$ involved.

I recommend offering to pay the parents for the cat. Then get the **** outta Dodge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page