I recently moved from a large-ish apartment to a single, small, rented bedroom in someone's house. The landlord let me bring my two cats with me, provided I keep their litter box in my room.
I've had them here with me for less than a week, and the smell has already gotten to me so much that I'm considering giving them up. Nothing I try works. Here's what I've been doing:
- I bought a $100 self-scooping litter box. It does its job when I'm out of the house, but with two very large cats, it's not usually enough, so I scoop a couple of times a day too to be sure to get whatever it misses.
- I clean out the collection tray from said litter box once a day.
- I use Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat litter, which I use to refill the box once a day after scoopings.
- I sprinkle the bottom of the litter tray with Arm & Hammer Odor Control baking soda. I also sprinkle it on top of the litter itself a few times a day.
- I feed the cats only dry food -- some kind of indoor cat formula. I don't time their meals; they have a bowl always full of food to eat from at any time they wish. I've tried different foods, but this is actually the best I've found; the others I've tried make them smell worse.
I keep the window open constantly and spray the room with Febreze, but all that ends up doing is making the place cold and smelling like perfumed cat poo. I really don't know what to do! I can't take the fact that my only private place in the world smells like feces, all the time. If it isn't positively reeking from fresh droppings, the air is still heavy with the smell of slightly deodorized feces. It's so bad that it wakes me up at night. I don't want to give my cats up -- I've had them for five years, since they were kittens -- but I can't live like this.