Litter box help! Desperate! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Litter box help! Desperate!

Howdy, all.

I recently moved from a large-ish apartment to a single, small, rented bedroom in someone's house. The landlord let me bring my two cats with me, provided I keep their litter box in my room.

I've had them here with me for less than a week, and the smell has already gotten to me so much that I'm considering giving them up. Nothing I try works. Here's what I've been doing:

- I bought a $100 self-scooping litter box. It does its job when I'm out of the house, but with two very large cats, it's not usually enough, so I scoop a couple of times a day too to be sure to get whatever it misses.
- I clean out the collection tray from said litter box once a day.
- I use Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat litter, which I use to refill the box once a day after scoopings.
- I sprinkle the bottom of the litter tray with Arm & Hammer Odor Control baking soda. I also sprinkle it on top of the litter itself a few times a day.
- I feed the cats only dry food -- some kind of indoor cat formula. I don't time their meals; they have a bowl always full of food to eat from at any time they wish. I've tried different foods, but this is actually the best I've found; the others I've tried make them smell worse.

I keep the window open constantly and spray the room with Febreze, but all that ends up doing is making the place cold and smelling like perfumed cat poo. I really don't know what to do! I can't take the fact that my only private place in the world smells like feces, all the time. If it isn't positively reeking from fresh droppings, the air is still heavy with the smell of slightly deodorized feces. It's so bad that it wakes me up at night. I don't want to give my cats up -- I've had them for five years, since they were kittens -- but I can't live like this.

Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Litter box help! Desperate!

Everclean litter...expensive, but the best stuff I've ever used.

A high quality wet food diet will reduce the amount of waste and improve the stool smell...Wellness, EVO, Natural Balance etc. A raw diet will improve it even more.

You can also find natural food additives that will help reduce odor. Digestive enzymes and probiotics should help. Or check out the gastro products on this site, I'm sure some of them will help with odor:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

(1) IMO the automatic boxes are a huge waste of money. They do NOT get every little bit, they break up clumps and leave the dregs there to fester, etc. I recommend getting a plain, LARGE, uncovered box, like the Biddy Cat box:

http://www.biddycat.com/

(2) Use clumping litter -- I prefer Dr. Elsey's ultra: http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-ultra-p-2.html
(Yeah, shown in the pic w/ an auto box, but still don't use one!!!)

(3) Be sure to scoop your box twice a day. Keep a container full of cat litter, a scoop, baggies in which to put the waste, and a whisk broom right near the box to make it easy on yourself.

(5) DO NOT USE LINERS. They just make the box smell b/c you cannot get EVERY little piece of soaked clump out.

(6) Dry cat food is not only not good for cats (see the sticky at the top of the Health and Nutrition forum for all the reasons why), but, being high in carbs, it means MORE poops and SMELLIER poops. As carnivores, cats are supposed to get a LOT out of every bite of their food and should have infrequent, almost scentless poops. My raw-fed cats poop on average once every TWO DAYS and these poops are small and smell-free b/c they contain very little waste material. If you at least switch to a grain-free canned food, such as EVO 95% meat formulas, and feed 2 meals a day, you will find that your cats produce less waste and that it smells less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the suggestions, you two!

Do you have any recommendations on how much wet/raw food to feed a 25-pound cat? He's a Maine Coon, and that weight is actually healthy for his size. I don't want to feed him too little. Should he have 3 meals instead of the 2 I'll give my more normal-sized cat?

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

I don't believe a 25# cat is at a healthy weight--sorry. IMO many Maine Coons and Ragdolls are grossly overweight. 18# is a HUGE cat and I've really never seen an 18# MC I didn't think was on the hefty side. I very much bet your kitty needs to lose weight.

Twice a day is plenty often for an adult cat. I'll let others address how much, as I feed raw and no longer have any idea about how far canned goes. But IMO you need to help your cat lose weight. You should be able to feel bones, including ribs.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'd be concerned if I heard "25 pounds" on a forum, too, but he was just at the vet this past Thursday, who confirmed that his weight is healthy for his size. He's magnificently large in basic structure, even for a Maine Coon.

I'll keep reading up and maybe talk to said vet about feeding frequency.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I know a lot of fat cats that the vet says are "just fine." Coated cats can be hard to tell by looking, but you need to give him a good feel.

And don't bother asking the vet about food. They really know very little about nutrition!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Jr. Cat

I have tried many ways to make "the litter chore" easier and less smelly. I have purchased self cleaning, etc... and after all the time and money spent I have resorted back to the basic litter box....its just easier. However, I recently purchased the LitterLocker. This is awesome... You scoop out your standard litter box once / twice a day and dispose of it into the litter locker, twist the wheel and odor and litter is gone. Empty the bags once a week, the instructions say it can go up to two weeks but I don't let it go that long. The plastic bags apparently are the trick to this and eliminate the oder. Also, this product reduces the daily trips to the outside trash bin...I also use the Arm&Hammer odor neutralizer and have pretty good success with it

The LitterLocker is also pretty reasonable...$30 at PetSmart, however you get a much better deal on the refill bags through Amazon. Hope this helps.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 1&lmdn=Cat
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I use Arm 'n Hammer regular, with no problem. Don't buy multi-cat litter. It's terrible, smelly and gooey. yech!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I use Arm 'n Hammer regular, with no problem. Don't buy multi-cat litter. It's terrible, smelly and gooey. yech!
Not Dr. Elsey's. Have you tried that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page