newb.. and need advice on cleaning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

newb.. and need advice on cleaning

I "saved" a kitten about 2 months ago and recently found out she had leukemia real bad so we had to put her down. terrible thing and never want to do it again.
so now my g/f and I want to get another kitten. this time from somewhere reputable. now my real question is what do we need to clean so our new kitten wont get leukemia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: newb.. and need advice on cleaning

Leukimia is not like a cold. You can't catch it by not cleanign things. It is cancer. But if you are really worried about clean all of the other cats belongings or buy new dishes and litter box, etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My kitties are just my furry children!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette_kitty89
Leukimia is not like a cold. You can't catch it by not cleanign things. It is cancer. But if you are really worried about clean all of the other cats belongings or buy new dishes and litter box, etc
In cats, leukemia is transmitted by a virus, the Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV).

I am sure more people will have ideas, but I imagine there is an period of time for which the virus can live outside of the body. It is very very short (<1 sec) for FIV, but may be longer for FeLV. Try to do some google searching to get some ideas.

And I'm very sorry to hear about your kitten. I'm sure you gave her a wonderful life for the short time she was on earth

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Jr. Cat

well like I said. either clean everything or buy all new stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My kitties are just my furry children!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Kitten

You usually clean cat's home so that she can avoid disease.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! How heartbreaking.
I just wanted to reiterate that feline leukemia is NOT cancer. It is a virus. It is transmitted from mother to kitten and through saliva, blood, urine and feces. So, mutual grooming, fighting and litter box sharing as well can pass it on. It doesn't live in the environment for very long at all, maybe a few hours so I don't think you need to worry too much. Just regular cleaning would have gotten rid of it.
Most reputable rescue groups will have cats tested before they are put up for adoption.
Good luck with you new kitten! And be sure to come back and show us pictures!!

Victoria
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

FeLV is able to remain viable outside the body for many weeks if not treated with disinfectants. It's rare that it happens and is transmitted, but there is a remote possibility. Kittens are more susceptible than adults, so if you get another kitten the risk is a little higher. It's transmitted via saliva and litterbox. Personally I would buy new dishes and litterbox. Then clean any areas where she may have vomited, pooped or drooled with disinfectant...get all hard surfaces in the house (floors, side of cabinets, table legs etc.), spray lysol on soft surfaces like furniture. If she had any cloth she used to suck on, I would dispose of it is possible or clean really well. Also make sure to disinfect or replace any kitty beds. It may be a bit of work, but worth it to ensure the new kitten isn't at risk at all.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! How heartbreaking.
I just wanted to reiterate that feline leukemia is NOT cancer. It is a virus. It is transmitted from mother to kitten and through saliva, blood, urine and feces. So, mutual grooming, fighting and litter box sharing as well can pass it on. It doesn't live in the environment for very long at all, maybe a few hours so I don't think you need to worry too much. Just regular cleaning would have gotten rid of it.
Most reputable rescue groups will have cats tested before they are put up for adoption.
Good luck with you new kitten! And be sure to come back and show us pictures!!

TY everyone, being a that she was my first cat ever it was devastating and very hard to do. And yes I didn't get the kitty from a reputable place but she needed to get out of where she was. In the 3 months that she was with me you should have seen the her personality turn around. When she was where she was, she wouldn't have anything to do with people. She would have run away and never cuddle. About one and half months with my g/f and I she was sleeping with us in our bed, playing with us and allowing me to groom her daily. We feed her some nutrient supplement with her food and she grew so fast. Very heart breaking what happened

I really can't wait till we find a new kitten that's ready to be messed up by me and my g/f! (I mean that in a playful way ppls!)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Victoria...there is a reference on Wikipedia about a Cornell study that indicates the life outside the body is now thought to be longer, I haven't read the study though.:

Initially thought to survive only about 2 hours in a dry environment, and about 48 hours in a damp environment (such as a litter box)[citation needed] a new paper published by cornell vets (http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/news/) titled "Can FeLV survive in the environment?" shows several studies showing that the virus can live up to seven weeks in the environment, depending on environmental factors if no disinfectants are used.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Premier Cat

Hahaha! We were writing at the same time so I just erased my post asking if you were sure about that!
That explains it cause I had always read it was an unstable virus but I haven't looked it up in a very long time. My apologies to the OP for misinformation!!
Goes to show, gotta always keep studying!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page