Looking to put my cat down. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Looking to put my cat down.

This is an unfortunate first time post and possibly the last.....

I have a black and white cat, approx 13yo, diabetic with a heavy water intake and urine output. While I have done everything in my power over the last 10 years to take the best care of her, I think its beyond my control anymore. Being in the military stateside I still deploy for 3-30 days at a time and starting in March those deployments will start again, just about every month. I have a plate full of other stressors in my life, this is one of them. And while I have tried to find someone to take her in for her remaining years, not too many people are willing to take a pet that requires so much from the onset, especially at her age. she's not a kitten anymore that runs around and occupies herself like she once did. Now she lays around all day or sits in some arbitrary spot and gets the "thousand yard stare".

She may also have some renal "issue" on top of the diabetes that I'm also trying to work through. I've talked about putting her down with the Banfield Vet and I can tell the look in his eye it's something he does not want to do, understandably.

The option of sticking her in a kennel each time i leave is out of the question, as I won't subject her to that. Her life started in a cage until a friend took her in to his townhouse. I transferred to the area and moved in, he later got married but his wife was allergic and he hinted at putting her back in a a shelter. I wouldn't hear of it, thinking you can't take a cat out of cage for 2 years then stick them back in there when she had all that freedom. So I took her. And up until about a month ago I always managed to find someone to stop by and take care of her, even when I found out she was diabetic almost a year ago. But my cat watcher is no longer able to do so and there is no one else I can trust. Again, I'm not going to move her in and out of cages, there is no way that can be conducive to any quality of life.

I've mulled over this decision for the past month and it's eating away at me, but it's going to have to happen. I guess I came here for no other reason than to vent a bit as this is a painful decision.

thx for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Cat

Re: Looking to put my cat down.

What a painful decision. You clearly care a lot about this cat. We are having a similar discussion on a horse forum I frequent: the perosn there has a situation much like yours, and is debating putting down her horse.

I agree, a shelter is not a place for a cat like that. Perhaps you can find a "rescue" group in the area that looks after cats with special needs? If not, I agree the best choice would be to put her down - I think the risk of her not getting the care she needs is too great.

Tough choice, and good luck.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm so sorry that you've been put in a place where you need to make such a painful decision.

I agree with the above poster, though: before you finalize any decision, check around to see if any rescues would be willing to help.

I know the folks who run a Twitter rescue group aggregate (@RescueAnimals), and I forwarded them your story on your behalf to see if they know of a rescue that can help. I'll post here once I receive a response.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

What an awful thing to have to think about.
Good luck in making the right choice.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Jr. Cat

13 years old, I remember when my cat I had when growing up had to be put down at that age. She was blind in both eyes and deaf in both ears, it happened over time and most likely due to old age. It was sad and I didn't get to see her go the day she went to the vet for it. Never forgot that cat, I named my cat I have now in memory of her- Spooky.

I'm very sorry for you and your cat, do whatever is right to you. Putting a pet down or a pet's life coming to an end, is a very difficult thing to deal with. I have dealt with the death of my animals in the past. With all sincerity, good luck in deciding what would be best for your friend.

Heather~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats".
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by talashira
I'm so sorry that you've been put in a place where you need to make such a painful decision.

I agree with the above poster, though: before you finalize any decision, check around to see if any rescues would be willing to help.

I know the folks who run a Twitter rescue group aggregate (@RescueAnimals), and I forwarded them your story on your behalf to see if they know of a rescue that can help. I'll post here once I receive a response.

I shall, but I dread knowing she could just end up in a cage somewhere, with the occasional human contact just for a shot of insulin, knowing full well she'll just lay there.........nothing. I don't know, I'm thinking it would be more humane to make sure that doesn't happen. And if she is to be put down, it's on my terms and not left wondering what her fate really is.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps if the vet at Banfield feels strongly that your cat isn't at the point he should be put down, you could relinquish your cat to him. When people bring in pets to my vet in that situation, the staff will bring them back to good health and find them new homes, or find someone who will take them "as is."

I'm so sorry you're in this position.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Premier Cat

I don't have any advice, I just want to say that your love and concern for your kitty shines through your posts. I wish the best for both of you.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Cool Cat

Just a couple of weeks ago I ran into a local rescue group, SAINTS. Senior Animals in Need Today Society. On their site, they have a search engine for rescue sites. There may be a senior animal rescue organisation near you. Anyway, I've put the link to the engine below. You have an awful problem.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

JusJim
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I sincerely hope you can find an alternative. Life is so very precious. I know this is very difficult for you, and you want the best for your cat. Marie's solution offers a wonderful solution...if you can find a vet who will cooperate. I pray that you can, as I know you care deeply for your pet.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page