Just had kittens, help please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just had kittens, help please!

Good Morning,

So, I wasn't sure where to post this but I could just use some encouragement and some assistance. We've brought in an abandon cat in January, she was our neighbours but they stopped letting her in. She was pregnant, and I've been reading up, I have a room ready for her. So, my husband woke up this morning and I asked him to check in on her, and she's had/is having her kittens. So, far I've been able to count 5-6 of them. I noticed one of them was out of their sack but the cord was stil attached, should she immediantly chew that off, or should I just keep an eye on it?? If she doesn't chew it off, should I? I read you tie a string around it and snip on the side opposite of the kitten and dip it in iodyne? Is that correct? I've never had kittens before so this is all new and slighlty freaky to me. Should she be immediantly wanting to just lay there and feed them?? She had them underneath/within our sparebed blankets and sheets, and it's all wet and bloody, should I leave them there for now? Is it good for them?? I'm just kinda freaking out over what I can do to help. I know not to touch them, and that's key for me. She has food, water, and a litter box in the room. I'm doing everything right, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Just had kittens, help please!

I've never had kittens before, but perhaps you can look in the Breeding section for more info.

Some things that I know- change the sheets when you can because you don't want the kittens to get cold. Make sure that they are dry and warm. If Momma didn't take care of the umbilical cord you can tie it off and cut it. Just don't cut it too short.

You can introduce the kittens to the Momma's nipples if they are not latching on naturally. Is Momma ok with you getting close? Since you have such a short relationship she might be leery of you getting close. You will have to watch to make sure the the babies are getting fed, if one or more are not you might have to get involved and feed them yourself (that is a last resort).

Make sure that Momma has access to fresh food and water. She may not eat lots the first day.

Thank you, thank you for taking her in and giving these babies a chance at life!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Hoo-boy! What excitement at your house today!

First, I don't like to let kitties kitten wherever. I feel it is necessary for me to have access at any time and I don't want her putting kittens out of reach and/or in places I can't keep cleaned and sanitary. For me, this means NO under furniture access.

I like to place them in a large bathroom. Mamma cats really don't need much room to stretch their legs as all they will do is lay with their kittens the first few weeks; only stirring to eat, drink and eliminate. So, bathroom w/ food, water, litterbox.

Nesting Box.
I like to use a large carrier or a 2'x2' box so it gives the Mamma plenty of room to move around to clean and/or get herself comfortable without fear of laying on any kittens in cramped quarters. I also prefer kitten nests that have a top over it to create a 'private cave' for the mamma and kittens. With a carrier I drape a towel over the top to block most of the vent-holes and part of the open doorway. I fold towels into a soft pad and place them in a pillowcase to prevent kitten claws getting caught in the towel loops. Flip this bedding over once daily so you get two days' use out of it before washing.

*I prefer the 2x2 box as you can cut a mamma-cat access hole in the side, round enough for her to easily pass through and the bottom of the hole at least 4" above the bedding so no kittens can accidentally fall out or get dragged out by not releasing her teat. The hole opening will bump kitties off the nipples and keep them in the nest if they hold on for that long. By the time they can get through the opening on their own, they are now ready to explore their world outside the nesting box.
*another tip for using a cardboard box is to line the inside of it with shelf-paper to prevent moisture deterioration of the box.

Good luck! Piccies when you can!
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Update. So, it's definately 6 kittens. I've set up a dish of food, water, and a litter box. They're tucked in between the wall and the bed, under the sheets. And it was mentioned to changed the sheets when I can, should I wait a day or two? They're laying on the sheets she gave birth on, and are pretty icky. I just don't want to move them when I shouldn't. Any suggestions on how to move them properly?
I had a slight scare, one kitten was left over on the side away from her and the rest of them and wasn't moving, scared me so badly. I grabbed a towel and gave it a little rub to make sure the poor thing was alive, thank god he/she was, so I moved the little one back into the group. The mom, I call her Precious, is fine with me getting close. I checked on them earlier, lifted the blanket and she was just a purring; letting me pet her. I gave her praise and love.
Quick question, I was reading that it's not smart to advertise 'free kittens', so is it too much to ask for a donation of $10 or so, I'd like to use it so we can get her spayed before we find a home for her.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Cat

Definitely ask for the dontation of 10 dollars: even say in your ad its going towards getting her spayed.

Free kittens often get fed to snakes...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Premier Cat

IMO, you need to protect your bed and it is much too large for her to be able to keep all of her kittens together in an easy-to-care-for heap. I would get her set up somewhere that she can't move her kittens and give her a 'nest' like I described. Place the kittens in the new nest, she will follow them.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I was just thinking of what I have at home that I could use, but I just realized I have a tote, it's a big one but the walls are high on it. Would that be good?? Or would it be too big? I could always make it so part of it's blocked off.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Cat

When I answered an ad for my gal, they wanted about 30 bucks. When I got there and had been there for a while they said they were happy for me to take her. I took out the wallet and they said no, we just wanted people who were willing to pay a little money, save it for the cab home.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Jr. Cat

You were a blessing to this cat and her kittens, taking them in when they were abandoned.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks. It bugs me to no end how some people can treat animals. Our neighbours were watching her for someone else, told us she was fixed and that the owner wanted her to be an outdoor cat, who just comes and goes. They'd leave her out for days, even on days when I wouldn't want our dog out except for a quick pee. She started coming to our door, and I let her in and would tell them she's over here. They'd look at me and say "we're never letting her outside again..." Couple days later, she'd be at my door wanting in. So, when I noticed she was getting bigger, and suspected she was pregnant, I told my husband I wasn't telling them she was here. The last cat they had had a litter and they gave the kittens away at 4-5 weeks old! Their friend only fed their kitten water, and didn't know it wasn't on solids yet and the poor baby died. She put it in their shed and went over and got another one. It's horrible how some people just treat them like trash. We had her for 3 weeks before they even asked if we'd seen her, and that was only because the owner was coming by to pick her up. I was close to telling them she was here, but then realized...they were only concerned for their butts not for her. I feel bad for lying to them but I'd rather the kittens have a chance and find a nice family for them. I love animals far too much.

Oh, I made the nest for them in the tote I had mentioned, it was just the right size. And the kittens love the blanket I put in there, all nice and soft. They're so cute! Even my husband, who isn't a huge cat person, went in tonight to check on them. I took a picture for you all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page