A Not Very Social Cat. ): - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

A Not Very Social Cat. ):

Well, I've had Zazoo ever since she was a kitten. She's probably around seven or eight years old now. She's never been very loving or cuddily, but she seems to be getting worse - the older she gets. She always wants to be in the same room as us, but she never wants to be held, petted or anything. I can tell that there are times when she wants to just come up and lay with us, but it's almost like she's afraid to. She sees the other two cats lay with us, and us petting them - so I don't understand why she thinks that it's not okay for her to come be with us as well. I've tried going down on the floor with her and laying by her, well not right next to her - I give her some room to herself so she doesn't feel like I'm invading in on her, and she'll lay there for a few seconds with me, but she always gets up and moves away. I've also tried petting her while we lay on the floor; but as soon as I go to touch her- she's out of there.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do that will let her know that its -okay- to come and be with us?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Premier Cat

Re: A Not Very Social Cat. ):

I've seen a lot of these same things in both Rookie and Murphy. They're lying down close to you, but the minute you get down on the floor to pet them, they get up and walk away. You could bet on it and win every time.

I guess it's just about doing things on their terms, like we always hear about cats?

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

That's kind of how Cleo is. Even if I'm playing with her and Cinderella walks into the living room, she'll stop playing. She's more of a "watcher" cat. She'll lie on top of her favorite spots and watch everything going on. The only time we're close is bedtime, when she kneads me for about 5 minutes and then curls up next to my head with her paws touching my shoulder or arm or face. That's our time.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Premier Cat

Does she have a favorite food? Something that just the scent of it makes her purr?
Try getting down on her level, but not too close, like you've been doing, but add giving her a special treat. That might start breaking through her shyness.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
Does she have a favorite food? Something that just the scent of it makes her purr?
Try getting down on her level, but not too close, like you've been doing, but add giving her a special treat. That might start breaking through her shyness.
That's a good idea. I honestly can't believe I haven't tried this before. Zazoo is a nutter when it comes to meat. It could be lunch meat, raw meet, cooked meat, I think she might even eat burnt meat

I've noticed though, that if I get out the catnip and give them(all the cats) a little of it, Zazoo becomes more social and cuddily. I think maybe one of these times, I'm going to take her into my room, or somewhere where the other cats can't have access to - and give her some of the catnip. Maybe if I can get her to play with me, let me pet her, or cuddle with her even -- that after a few times she'll start to see that it's okay.

I've really got to bond with all of the other cats, but Zazoo always seems to keep her distance. I really want to have a relationship with her like I do with the other two. So hopefully I can figure out something.

Thanks guys!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Cat

yeah, going off with her into the bedroom for treats and private cuddles sounds like a nice idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page