HELP.. Wellness Price Increase - Other Brands ?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

HELP.. Wellness Price Increase - Other Brands ??

The 5.5 oz can of Wellness (not Core) went from $1.28 to $1.48 at the only store around here that carries it. I've been feeding it to our almost 15 yr "young" flame point persian for a good while and he sure likes it... It's good enough to spread on crackers. I called Wellness and they confirmed a price increase on Feb 1st. and are sending me a $5.00 coupon...
I'm looking for something comparable in quality at a better price. He'll eat a dish of Natural Balance once in a while, but refuses much more of it...
Any savings by ordering on-line are eaten up by shipping charges...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Premier Cat

Re: HELP.. Wellness Price Increase - Other Brands ??

Bummer I use Natural Balance, too. I feed my cats a few different brands and they also like Natural Balance. I also buy a few varieties of Blue Spa Select and AvoDerm, all of which are at my local Petco. If you have Pet Supplies Plus near you, they have the best selection of higher quality cat foods. I haven't been there in awhile so I can'y comment on their prices, but I recall that they were competitive.

I'm going to move this to Cat Chat for you. You should also check the sticky at the top of Cat Chat for Pet Supply Direct coupons which may help.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Cat

Boss eats evo 13 ounce can for 2 bucks normally I pay 1.74 for myne though.

I love it its a great food for cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Cheapest place around here is Petco at $1.39, one of our independent's is $1.60.

You're not going to get that quality food for a lot less money, especially a grain free.

How about using the larger cans of Wellness...they're a lot cheaper per oz. Make sure to store the excess in a glass bowl, not the can. If he doesn't like it cold, you can bring it to room temp by adding some warm water, soaking the bowl in another bowl of hot water or nuking it for 8-10 seconds.

I play the coupon game with Petfooddirect. They also have really good sales. So if you can order several cases on sale, with a 15-20% coupon, it will more than offset the shipping. Their shipping does not go up linearly, if you can order 4-6 cases at a time, you'll do really well.

Another alternative is to rotate foods, I find it makes them less picky and you can fit in some less expensive brands. I buy 6 cases at a time...2 CORE, Wellness chicken, Wellness turkey (those are the favorites) and then I choose from Natural Balance, Merrick, Nature's Variety and Holistic Select for the other 2 cases (often I just choose whatever is on sale). I would have EVO 95% in that mix, but it disagrees with Maggie's stomach.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa 216
Bummer I use Natural Balance, too. I feed my cats a few different brands and they also like Natural Balance. I also buy a few varieties of Blue Spa Select and AvoDerm, all of which are at my local Petco. If you have Pet Supplies Plus near you, they have the best selection of higher quality cat foods. I haven't been there in awhile so I can'y comment on their prices, but I recall that they were competitive.

I'm going to move this to Cat Chat for you. You should also check the sticky at the top of Cat Chat for Pet Supply Direct coupons which may help.
I buy this food at Pet Supplies Plus in Beckley, WV !!!! Thanks for the feedback !!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Cat Addict

I have noticed the Wellness price increase. Pet Supplies Plus just had it on sale for 1.18 a can so I stocked up, but now it's back to 1.48/can.

Is the petfood direct price that shows the price with or without the coupon? It might be worth it to try that. My cats like the chicken/herring flavor best.(in the blue can). The best price around here is at Pet Supplies Plus - Petco is charging 1 penny more per can, but with 8 cats every bit helps.
Petco just sent out a 20% off coupon for one item only. I called and asked if the coupon would apply to a purchase of over $100.00 of Wellness or just one can. They told me just one can. I said well, then I won't be buying it from you. (Crabby lady that I am.) You would think a bulk purchase would make it worth while for them, especially since I usually buy my litter, toys, etc. when I buy the food. Oh, well thier loss, Pet Supplies Plus gain for that day. I have enough food to last for another week now.

Sue

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Is the petfood direct price that shows the price with or without the coupon?
Without.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, I just stocked up on Wellness this weekend and the price has jumped! The 12.5 oz cans are now $2.19!! Every other premium brand of big cans, Evo, Evangers, Innova are about $1.59. I'm quite angry, actually. How can they justify a 60c per can hike? I've been using Wellness since it came out and been really happy with it (other than the fact they added carragenan a couple of years ago and when they had that little rice incident!) but now I think I need to make a change. I picked up the three mentioned above (I've tried them before but Nanook only wants Wellness turkey!) and we're going to try the food rotation game again. Sigh!
I'll be calling them as well...maybe, if enough people do, they'll reconsider, although I doubt it.

Victoria
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Pet Supplies Plus changes their specials the 1st of each month. I'm praying that the Wellness will be on sale for March. They stopped carrying the 12 oz cans last year which were abt $2.00 !! Turkey is easily the favorite for Turtle Cat !!
Anyone tried Filidae canned ??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
If he doesn't like it cold, you can bring it to room temp by adding some warm water,
Zenobi loves it like this, so even if I open a new can (I only put out a little at a time) I mix a couple of teaspoons of warm water with it. She'll lick it dry first and then eat. If there's any jelly at the bottom of the can, I rinse that out for her with a little warm water. I feed her dry and canned. So I spoil her. She has the choice of two type of dry in separate dishes and it's amusing to me to watch her making up her mind as to which she wants. Lucky for me, I suppose that she's not an overeater.

(I did start her off with some of the more costly canned and dried stuff, but she wouldn't eat it.)

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page