New kitty adoption - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: New kitty adoption

Success!

We've been in a habit the last couple days of me getting up and coming down to see and pet them when they wake from their morning naps, then I'd play with them. Today I intentionally skipped both things. I acknowledged them with a friendly greeting but did not go over to them. I let them play with each other and did my work. I didn't even give them a treat. So cruel.

They watched me and trilled at me a couple times. Bella refused to let me pet her at all but wanted to watch from her chair. Cricket wondered why I wasn't playing with her until her sister accepted the challenge of chase.

Tonight after they greeted my dad and followed him upstairs for the slipper change, they watched us get dinner together. All those interesting aromas from the counter. They looked longingly at it but a stern no or "eh eh" discouraged any jumping. Bella jumped up in her chair to watch me eat and sniff my offerings. She did not climb onto the table though.

Off they went to play again. Then around 9pm (when they usually get sleepy) they both came over to us seeking some attention. Bella jumped up in my dad's lap for a long cuddle. Cricket looked longingly at him but settled herself in a ball on the floor. My lap isn't really cuddle-worthy (I don't have much of a lap) so I did the next best thing. Cooed at Cricket, she came over with one of those long body-rubbing stretches and I invited her to sit in the nearest seat. (I need them to jump up to a 2 foot height to reach them). Then she allowed a full body rub. Lots of ear scratches, gentle back rubs, and eventually under the neck stretches and a full tummy rub. All purring very loudly. Aftter a few minutes she trilled at me to slow it down so she could sleep. So I just let her snuggle my hands and dozed with her. I finally had to get up and walk away to the bathroom. She stayed to sleep.

Only issue we had is that when I had left, Bella jumped down and went on a search mission through my purse. She remembered that's where I keep my bag of treats. (My purse hangs on my joystick.) Dad rescued the bag from them after they'd poked a hole in it but before they got any treats away. The treats are getting a new home tonight.

Bella's a sneaky little devil. She finds all the good kitty food in the house before we realize she's looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Premier Cat

Awwwwww! Sounds like you've got some adorable and *smart* kittehs!

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh for heaven's sake, no need to worry they won't like switching to the new food we have for them. I just found the bag of Purina Kitten Chow ripped open and dragged into the middle of the floor. Meanwhile the kitten food from the shelter remains unmolested in its corner of the room.

I've cleaned it up and transferred to tupperware. This is a new behavior for us. Our old Peppermint never dug into her food bags. She just meowed at us to refill her dishes (water in the two places we left it and food in her room).

Kitties came down to find out what all my complaining was about and scarf up the stray bits I missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroganMc
Kitties came down to find out what all my complaining was about and scarf up the stray bits I missed.
Awwww, see how helpful they are? Self-feeders. I bet they want to pick out their own clothes and dress themselves, too.
Floofy *must* bite and rip into ANY plastic bagged anything. Even a completely boring and inedible blue tarp.

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh yeah very helpful. Now if they'd rid me of my elder box bug infestation... nuisance bugs. They crawl in through window cracks and fly toward any light or heat source. So far Bella and Cricket find them fascinating little toys to play with but they never actually get rid of them. Just swat them around, follow them, leave a little dead husk on the floor for me to step on, squeal and clean up.

Last night was interesting. We shut the door to the guest bedroom so they couldn't sleep there. Cricket came upstairs looking around for a comfy spot. She couldn't decide between mine or my dad's beds. Identical places with humans willing to pet you to sleep. Meanwhile Bella set up camp on her chair in the kitchen. She's making it clear she does not want all that yucky human fondling her sister is getting. I think she's going through a teenage phase. So sweet and cuddly last week and now we're not good enough for her.

Or maybe it's a sister jealousy thing. The more Bella shuns us the more Cricket seeks us out. Or is that the other way around?

Tomorrow they head to the vet for their first post-adoption check-up. We didn't want to take them right away because we wanted them to settle in first.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

We're back from the vet. Mostly good news, some bad, and a return trip planned.

Turns out the shelter was wrong about the Dynamic Duo's ages. They are between 8-9 mos not 5-6. We found a birthdate on some paperwork of July 16, 09.

They have no ear mites or any skin/fur issues. Vet was amazed to see that since they are shelter cats. Bella has a slight heart murmur though. He put as a 1 on a scale of 6. Said it might just be due to her youth and she'll grow out of it. Told us to look for signs of her slowing down, getting tired out more than usual. Of course with cats that'll be hard to tell since they grow up and sleep all day anyway.

We couldn't find a record of them having their feline distemper booster shots so opted to go for a round of that. We're bringing them back in 3 weeks for the completion. Also to get their microchips and claws trimmed. (Neither my dad or I are good at trimming claws and their nails are starting to stick in carpets.)

All in all they were very good about. Cricket did not want to go in the carrier. Had to lure her in with some treats. Then she looked at us like we were traitors. Bella was the first to jump out in the vet's office. But once they were free they sniffer all around, climbed on counters and surveyed the area. Cricket remained in full defense mode. Poor little thing crawled into a corner and pulled herself into a wide-eyed ball. But eventually both were as settled as possible. I think it helped we stayed with them the whole time and just talked to them.

Came home, put them in their room, opened the door and both came running out to sniff everywhere. Gotta make sure they are in the right place, I guess. Now their off napping somewhere. We'll see if they come around later when they like us again.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Cool Cat

Congratulations on adopting two shelter kitties. Sound like they're settling in well.. I like your stories too

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Premier Cat

We're having the same experiences here! I found out Murphy was a different age than I was told at the shelter too (in his case, 3 months younger). I've also adopted 2 shelter cats and neither of them had ear mites, so I'd be surprised if vets consider that the usual thing.

Holly and Murphy
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

These guys are so funny.

Yesterday we all slept late. I had pulled an allnighter working so slept in most of the morning then took one of those long hot showers and girlie moments to wash my hair, etc. So last night we got a late start but it turned eventful when my cousin came to visit. Bella fought with my dad over the kitchen chair. He'd get up and she'd jump right in then refuse to move. If he sat in it too long, she'd come around and paw the back at it or give him the evil eye to let him know it was her turn.

When the cousin came over they went right up to him to smell him. Played with him a bit but decided his voice was too loud and his body too tall. They'd watch him but weren't exactly sure he wasn't a monster. They did like playing with him though.

As soon as he left and Dad went to bed, they jumped in their respective chairs near me and slept. Bella sprawled out on the chair, head draped over the side, belly up and snoring. Cricket preferred a darker, cozier chair under the dining room table.

By this morning they woke up and both wanted a little petting. By the time I was headed off to bed, they were fully engaged in a rousing game of "pounce and chase" across the house. Scatter, scatter, crouch, jump, wrestle, lick and scatter again.

Today they are treated to more interesting sounds. My brother visits with his boys just during the kittens afternoon nap time. They came out for a pet and showed off their prettiness but preferred to be left in their sunroom to sleep. Our guests happily kept themselves busy in the other part of the house playing video games.

Up from the mid-day nap, open the patio room and they start exploring. Just then my dad pulls out the vacuum and Cricket starts stalking it. I thought they'd be terrified of the thing. Peppermint always ran and hid in some quiet, dark place when the vacuum came out. These cats are coming over and investigating the monster. Cricket in particular is making a point to watch it, sniff it when it's off and study the strange monster.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

Your girls are very brave to talk to strangers, and not run from the vacuum cleaner! They sound like they are really settling into your house and hearts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page