How much longer? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How much longer?

have a cat of 7 years that for the last five months was neglected at home. When I moved out of my parent's house, my cat was not given proper attention and had never been to the vet. (I was 12 when we got her so there was really not much I could do) Throughout these last 5 months of me being gone, I noticed many changes in my cat. We were exceptionally close and couldn't be separated. I was worried that my leaving had a negative effect on her (it definitely did on me. I missed her terribly). I was finally able to convince my family to let me take her. The day I took her, I brought her to the vet to be spayed and updated on vaccinations. Sadly, she was extremely skinny (although still eating!!). Apparently, her uterus was infected but they took it out in time before anything really occurred. I'm assuming this is one of the reasons she lost so much weight (also because my family didn't give her a proper feeding schedule. I was always the one to feed her when I lived there). After the surgery and vaccinations, she stopped eating for two and a half days. She was hiding and not seeking attention like her usual self. I learned about this disease and immediately took her into the vet, scared that my lack of knowledge was killing her. They gave her fluids and assisted-fed her a forth can of a/d. She started acting more energetic. I fed her the same day some more watered down can food (the a/d). Today (the second day of assisted-feeding her) I gave her a nice portioned breakfast of raw Instinct patty pieces (I feed my cats raw food btw). She took it well and became exceptionally better in attitude and activity. She didn't vomit so tonight I gave her a large portion of raw chicken breast (small pieces of course). She is doing much better. She isn't vomiting so I'm assuming she lost weight over the last few months was due to the infection in her uterus not fatty liver. I am also assuming that these 2 and a half days she didn't eat were the only days she didn't eat (my parents fed her before the day of the operation, before I told them they had to take the food away, and she had eaten normally) and that it was caused by the trauma of surgery, spending the night in an unfamiliar place which she's never done, going out to the vet which she's never done, being sedated which is always extremely frightening for an animal, and possibly the antibiotics she was prescribed after surgery (which we have stopped by recommendation of the vet). The blood test won't come back until tomorrow evening. I'm hoping that since it was only those couple days without food she will recover quickly. She is really enjoying the raw food (my parents fed her canned and kibble) and she is keeping it down very well. After the initial forcing, she gladly eats the food once I put it in her mouth. She is hungry and wants to eat. She just isn't motivated to begin eating herself. I will keep feeding her as long as it takes. However, I was wondering how long it typically takes to get cats in this situation back to eating by themselves. I want her to feel better and back to normal as soon as she is able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Re: How much longer?

I joined here because my kitty Malibe had just been diagnosed with Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver) and I needed support. I treated her at home myself, with no meds, but under the care/supervision of my vet. It took me just shy of a week assist-feeding and on the 6th day, she showed an interest in food and began picking at it, herself. We had turned the corner! I continued assist-feeding until that can was consumed and then I let her recover on her own. I carefully monitored her food intake but she continued to recover and began to thrive.
Some cats take longer to recover, some take less. In your case, I think your kitty's infection had a LOT to do with her lack of appetite and her *wanting* to eat once the food is in her mouth is a VERY good sign, IMO. I bet it won't be long before she is ready to eat on her own, without any encouragement.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you so much. Its really excited to hear it only took your kitty about a week! My biggest fear is that this could take several weeks or that she might just become dependent upon assisted feeding all her life. Its really nice to here of a great recovery story! It really brings me hope. Thank you! Hopefully, we'll start turning a corner pretty soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Kitty ate a whole plate of chicken breast and chicken liver without any assisted-feeding! We are so happy! She is completely eating her fill and absolutely feeling much better! Thank you for your support!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Premier Cat

Awesome awesome news about your kitty eating and feeling better! I wish I'd been on earlier today to help encourage you more. Malibu had me very frightened that she would die and I kept second-guessing myself, which is what made this forum so helpful for me; encouraging me to continue, teaching me more about the medical situation and how cats individually respond.
I'm very glad to hear she appears to be well on her way to a full recovery. Great news!
h

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks! I know exactly what you mean. I was getting worried these were going to be her last days. I wasn't able to sleep or concentrate on my school work at all. It was so stressful. She ate another plate of chicken breast around 2am. lol My schedule is really crazy now bc I want to feed her on time. I'm so happy that shes eating. My next goal is to start having her gain some weight. My poor baby is a stick!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

Keep feeding her up, the weight will come. I think it took Mallie almost a month or more before she had recovered her weight sufficiently that I felt comfortable letting her out of the bedroom.
My apologies, but I would like clarification on what you are feeding your kitty; canned a/d (vet instructions), raw instinct patty, chicken breast, chicken breast & liver and chicken breast. I suppose I just want assurances that her raw diet is properly balanced with meat, organs and bone.
Very glad she is continuing to do well and I like hearing her updates.
h =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page