Second Cat But Which one? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Second Cat But Which one?

Okay, so I was in the pet store/groomers/vet's and asked about the kitties they have for adoption. Turns out they have two; an eight month old black and a five month old tabby. Now, this pet store is awesome, they only carry and feed the best foods, they're helpful etc. So I decided to get a kitty from them. The question is; which one?

Skooma, my current cat, is nine months old and 4lbs. Spayed, partly vaccinated (last leukemia and rabies needed), and leery of New Things.

The eight month old black kitty is all up to date on shots and already spayed... but she's HUGE. I never truly realised how freakin' tiny Skooma is until I saw this same-age cat. She came up to me immediately when I entered the cat room and started rooting around in my bag, sniffing me, and deemed me uninteresting so she went to eat. She wasn't very 'petable' but according to the staff she is very mothering.

The second cat was much more timid... until I started playing with her. Then she accepted a happy head scritch and sniffed me a bit. But, she was very leery and not very willing. She's also up to date on shots and is due to be spayed this month. Unfortunately, this is the one that captured my heart. She was beautiful and sweet, even if she was a little shy. According to staff, she was almost feral when they got her at six weeks and they've been working with her ever since. (Jeez, she was pretty big too, Skooma feels inadequate)

So both have been in the store for a while. I put the tabby on hold... you know, just in case. But I wanted to make sure, before I did anything rash, if this was a good idea. I mean, she was a lovely kitty but would I be better suited to the older, more outgoing cat? Does anyone have any horror stories of taking home the 'shy one in the corner'? Or should I 'go for it', do a proper introduction, and have a two kitty household?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Second Cat But Which one?

GO FOR IT! It sounds like this kitty is in need of a loving owner!
I adopted a "shy" kitten along with a more outgoing kitten. It turned out the shy one was just sick with an upper respiratory infection and once we cured her was even more wild than the outgoing cat! lol just bc she seems very timid now doesnt mean she wont warm up to a loving home! I say give her a chance! It sounds like she had a very rough kitten life and if introduced slowly and cautiously would become deeply attached to you and Skooma!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Lawl, 'there's no such thing as the shy one in the corner'?

I'm reeeeally leaning towards her... she was just so beautiful... *sniff*

I'll have to brush up on my cat behaviour and cat introductions for sure XD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Black cats are always the last to be adopted.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Cat

...Is both an option? I'm just saying...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckel
...Is both an option? I'm just saying...
This!

Kelly

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I wish! But they're both $195 each. And, unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money. I feel sad that the black cat will probably be adopted last but she's HUGE and that tabby I was rubbing my hands over has been there since she was six weeks... she's five months now. She's been there longer than the black one, like, waaaay longer. My friend, Buck, said I should get both as well but the cost... arrrgh...

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

$195 each for non-kittens???? Wow! Every place here gives a discount if you buy more than one, and with the overcrowding, they'd probably throw the black kitty in for free.

I didn't mean to make you feel guilty, and I'm the last person to try to get people to adopt more than one cat.

Go with your heart. It seems like the tabby kitty chose you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Well, the $195 is for vaccinations, deworming, and spay/neuter. Basically, that is what you are paying for so they'll set a date for each and you come back, leave, and don't pay a thing. They're a pet store so no discounts there, both cats were surrendered to the pet store specifically and there's only two of them and two neutered, 2 year old bunnies. The store doesn't actually sell animals at all, they simply take in what people are willing to give and adopt them out.

It really hurts me to see a poor fwuffy whose been there for so long and may be there for a while more... I'll see if I can budget the other kitty in (gah, I'm such a sucker). If the cat is still there when I go to pick up the other one... I'll see what I can do.

XD Here I am, partially agreeing to three cats... the biggest issue I could see is the black one and the tabby are already bonded closely so Skooma might be the third wheel.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Cat

They're all fairly young, I don't think they would leave her out. Infact, you most likely would get a big ole pile of kittens on your bed one day! Getting two newbies might just be the best thing.. so when one cat wants to rest, the other two can play. We have five (wow.. when did that happen!?) and I find the group dynamics much nicer than when we had four, really. Three was a good number, too. We were there for a while.

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page