Fleas! (kinda ranty) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Fleas! (kinda ranty)

For the past year,it's been the Somme (WW1) with these FLEAS. I Frontline Percy. I vacuum. Everything's fine, for maybe a week. And THEN... CLOTHES! BLANKETS! BED! They're in the carpet, Percy's always scratchingthey're everywhere! I

want

them
G-O-N-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing everything I should,why can't I get rid of these bloodsuckers!???!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Cat

Re: Fleas! (kinda ranty)

Three years ago when I lived in a wet, rainy area I had that problem. The fleas were awful and on everything! I wonder if you have flea eggs in your carpeting, etc. Every few weeks they may be hatching and re-infesting. We got rid of our by moving but you may need to call an exterminator. Hopefully someone here can give you better advice. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Jr. Cat

Have you tried boming the house? We had a really bad infestation I mean it was so bad when you walked into the room they attacked your legs and feet.

We got flea bombs that you set off and they spray in the room. You would need to leave the house with your pets for a few hours. Also you would need to bathe the pets outside of the house so that the fleas cant jump off or on the pet again. Then once the pets r clean you can apply Frontline and then air out the house and the vacumn the rugs. You can also lay down a powder on the rug and spray all the cracks if you have wood floors .

Of course you need to clean the whole house and air it out before you can bring your pet back in. This process takes about a day. It's much easier to do in the spring and summer. I am not sure where your located at or what type of pets you have.

Keeping your cat in a carrier for a day may be rough on you but worth it if you can rid the house of fleas.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Cool Cat

The beauty of the internet is, that if you type something into a search engine, you'll often find a/the solutiion to your problem. Nobody wants to put fleas into their carpet, so "fleas in carpet" is good enough.

Here's one solution I found. There may be others that are different.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3391749_get-...s-carpets.html

I hope this information is of some use.

JusJim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Premier Cat

Just wanted to add that I didn't have any luck with Frontline. I have found Advantage to work great every time though. Others swear by Fronline so, I don't know if it's certain pets chemistry or the fleas in some areas are immune to the drug in one or the other but, it's worth trying.
Although I hate using them, I agree that with an infestation that bad, a fogger may be your best answer. It's a major drag but works. In the days before spot treatments I had to do it several times. Take the kitties to the groomers for a bath (I'd do a regular bath not a flea bath in your case and then apply Advantage...as long as it's been long enough since the Frontline). Meanwhile bomb the house. Wait 4 or whatever hours...go for lunch, have a manicure, whatever. Then vacuum everything and throw away the vacuum bag, out of the house! Clean everything well and air the place out well...actually, do that before you go in there to clean! Bring your flea free kitty home! One last thing, and this is a common oversight, treat your car! I can't tell you how many times I've come across people who keep getting re-infested and it's because they were in their car. So, when you come home from dropping off your cat, and before you clean the house, spray your car well with flea spray and air that out while you're cleaning house. Phew! I'm exhausted!!
Now I have one other thought. If you have an untreated basement or crawl space, spray that as well. If you have the nasty critters living under the house, they'll keep poppong up.

Victoria
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Tom Cat

How long are you using the Frontline for? I don't have any experience with that particular product, but Mak was on Revolution for 3 months (1 application/month) to make sure that the fleas in every stage of life were killed. Worked like a charm!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I had a minor flea problem, but now I use Revolution. The fleas on my animals are no longer there. The fleas in the house must have jumped onto the cats and gotten poisoned, because they are gone too... I think I finally broke the cycle!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Premier Cat

One little trick to add to the great advice here. Buy the nastiest, most toxic flea collar you can find, one you would never, ever put on Percy, cut it up into three or four pieces, and put the pieces under furniture cushions. That will kill larvae as they hatch out in those protected areas.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

That's why I this forum! Thanks for all the great input! I'll try several of these ideas...and keep the 'bomb' as a last resort. I think the carpet is the problem. The furniture is new.

I also use Borax!
1 thing I haven't tried yet is skin-so-soft. Anyone know the active ingredient?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

The only thing I ever used SkinSoSoft for is to repel gnats and mosquitos. Don't know the active chemical. Sorry.
But Skin-So-Soft is only a repellent, where you want a killing agent.
If your goal is to create a barrier against the evil fleas infiltrating your home, diatomaceous earth around the inside & outside perimeter is a good bet.

I found out about SkinSoSoft at a worksite where the gnats were so thick I had to wear a dust mask to breathe, ear plugs to keep them out of my ears, and goggles to keep the gnats out of my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page