Willow has arrived .. and i have no idea what i am doing! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Willow has arrived .. and i have no idea what i am doing!

Poor little lady. She has been in the house about 15 minutes. She is in my room with some food, water and litter tray. But she is very frightened, currently hiding under a chair and hissing everytime i go near. I have to sleep in there tonight! How long before she at least stops hissing? How can i help her to be less afraid? She is going to have to put up with a three hour train journey with me on Friday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Willow has arrived .. and i have no idea what i am doing!

probably keep her in that room for the first few day until she starts to feel more secure there, before letting her leave the room. Make sure shes got a safe comfy spot under the bed that she can always run to. Move slowly and quietly and speak to her gently. Yawn and sigh relaxedly as signs cats can relate to. let her smell you before touching her. Make yourself her height when trying to make contact. Stop touching her when she warns you and give her space.

Edit: wait - dont you know all this already?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Not really. When Toby arrived, he settled down pretty quickly but that is because he has been accusomed to new environments. He was fostered out all over the place when he was a kitten/young cat. Willow has only had one home since she was a kitten. Only ever had one 'mum'. She is about a year old so still just a baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Premier Cat

Awww, she is probably scared, poor thing. Do you have a Feliway infuser that could help her calm down a little? Since she will be at your house such a short time that she might not really settle down.

I think that she should be ok on the train- she will probably just hide in the back of the carrier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, she has eaten already (she likes Bozita!) and seems to have settled down a tad. I've been able to give her a little stroke but she still hisses if I move too suddenly. She is a lovely looking cat, pure white and with one golden eye and one blue one.

Mum says she will keep Willow separated from Felix the first week and then slowly introduce them. She is an old hand at introducing cats, thankfully. Felix is very friendly with other cats and apparently Willow likes them too. I'm a bit worried about the age difference though - we have a teeny bopper and a old man here!

She loves the outdoors apparently. Mum has a HUGE garden and lives in the country so she will have lots of fun when she is eventually allowed out (Mum has always kept new cats indoors for 6 weeks). I imagine Felix will show her the sights.

Of course, when Toby goes with me to visit Mum, that will be rather interesting as well. Hmmmm ....

I'll just be glad when I have got her up there to be honest, so she can settle in her new home. Any general suggestions on how to make it all as stress free as possible for her and the Fee much appreciated.

Pics arriving soon!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Premier Cat

Willow sounds like a lovely girl! It sounds like she will be perfect for your Mum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Cat Addict

Is it true that all white cats with bi-color eyes are deaf on the blue eye side?

Any sign of it? not that it should bother anybody but it's good to understand each kitty.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
Is it true that all white cats with bi-color eyes are deaf on the blue eye side?

Any sign of it? not that it should bother anybody but it's good to understand each kitty.
Mum mentioned that she might be deaf, but she certainly acts as if she can hear. Whether she can hear with both eats, I couldn't say.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

The only advice I've got is for your train-trip, since it seems your Mom knows how to do cat-intro's. For the trip, I would bring a scrap of lightweight sheet to toss over her carrier so she cannot see out and get all freaky. The sheet will still allow air-flow but it will block her vision of the scary-sights. It won't block sound, but that's the best idea I've got.
Safe trip.
h

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I was going to ask if she was deaf on the blue side too. Just dug up these stats on blue eyed/white cats:

* 95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
* 5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
* Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
* Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
* Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 - 1.5 of total cat population
* Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 - 2.0% of total cat population

http://www.messybeast.com/whitecat.htm

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page