Help With Info on kitty Litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Help With Info on kitty Litter

I am doing research in my marketing class on the market for kitty litter and was hopeing you guys could help me out

If i could just get a little info from you regarding how you choose the kitty litter that you buy, i would be vary thankful.

1) is price very important?
2) how do you choose the brand of kitty litter that you buy over other brands
3) what makes the cat litter that you buy better for you than other brands?

you dont need to answer all the questions, im just trying to get a feel for what the general population of this forum feels is important when it comes to kitty litter.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Help With Info on kitty Litter

First of all, here are a couple threads on litter choice that may answer some of your questions inadvertantly: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...=litter+choice Now to answer for myself...

For me, yes. I don't want to pay top dollar for what, at the end of the day, is just clay. But I get a little wary buying bottom-of-the-barrel kittylitter.

Trial and error! Usually new cat owners will try a few litters until they like one enough to stick with it. The label/packaging design can definitely play into my decision to buy a new litter ("What is wrong with the cat on the label? I am not buying that!"). Personally I want a kitty litter that isn't garish and I can keep next to the litter box in my living room without it being an eyesore... Although that is a "plus", not the most important trait!

For me, it MUST clump, can't be perfumed, isn't too dusty and has the right pricetag. Things like nice box design (pretty and useful) are a good "plus" but wouldn't sway me to use a poorer quality litter.

Also important to consider is that there are some people, on CatForum and elsewhere who believe an anecdotal claim made by a breeder many years ago that the dust from clay litter poisoned her cats and thus refuse to use it. Personally I don't buy it and love clay litter, but it is a concern that many people have. Also I know a lot of people who would potentially use a less effective litter (non clumping etc) in favour of a more "eco friendly" litter such as one made from recycled products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
First of all, here are a couple threads on litter choice that may answer some of your questions inadvertantly: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...=litter+choice Now to answer for myself...

For me, yes. I don't want to pay top dollar for what, at the end of the day, is just clay. But I get a little wary buying bottom-of-the-barrel kittylitter.

Trial and error! Usually new cat owners will try a few litters until they like one enough to stick with it. The label/packaging design can definitely play into my decision to buy a new litter ("What is wrong with the cat on the label? I am not buying that!"). Personally I want a kitty litter that isn't garish and I can keep next to the litter box in my living room without it being an eyesore... Although that is a "plus", not the most important trait!

For me, it MUST clump, can't be perfumed, isn't too dusty and has the right pricetag. Things like nice box design (pretty and useful) are a good "plus" but wouldn't sway me to use a poorer quality litter.

Also important to consider is that there are some people, on CatForum and elsewhere who believe an anecdotal claim made by a breeder many years ago that the dust from clay litter poisoned her cats and thus refuse to use it. Personally I don't buy it and love clay litter, but it is a concern that many people have. Also I know a lot of people who would potentially use a less effective litter (non clumping etc) in favour of a more "eco friendly" litter such as one made from recycled products.
thanks a lot, great info here.

What would you say is the biggest tradeoff when you go for a low cost kitty litter as opposed to a higher end litter? Is there any primary attribute(s) that considerably changes or is it just overall product quality goes up with price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Cat

Yes. I used to buy Yesterday's News at $20 a bag but discovered there was a litter called Good Mews that was the same thing and $10 a bag. It doesn't work that well but it's just there to absorb moisture. The clumping litter I buy is a grocery store brand that works just as well as any brand name cat litter but is $7 a huuuge 18kg box.

Trial and error! When I went searching all I knew was it couldn't have a scent and had to be mild dust. I tried an arm and hammer litter that smelled bloody terrible! And yet it said unscented but whoa, was it not. I've tried various other brands but the one I'm sticking with is a No Name brand simply called 'Unscented Scoopable Clumping Cat litter With Baking Soda' and I luvv it!

I'm highly allergic to dust so it's less dusty. Um, I think having scented litter actually makes the litterbox smell worse than the poo itself. It's also a very nice clumper. I tried another brand from Costco and it barely clumped at all. The pee stayed wet and when you tried to scoop it, it crumbled so I ended up using the entire thing in like a couple weeks. The Good Mews is made of newspaper/paper and not trees like the other ones I was looking at. I'm highly allergic to certain trees so the paper litter is awesome.

Does that answer yer questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Cat Addict

It's not good if I empty it into a waste container and choke in a cloud of dust. I know that from experience from the grocery store brand

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admos
What would you say is the biggest tradeoff when you go for a low cost kitty litter as opposed to a higher end litter? Is there any primary attribute(s) that considerably changes or is it just overall product quality goes up with price?
I don't think there's a correlation at all, necessarily. I have used expensive litters that were meh and cheap litters that were great. That's why trial and error is so important - if I thought good price = good product then I would be paying top dollar every time, but that isn't the case.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Cat Addict

I ended up with the brand that said "Clay" and "Unscented" in the biggest letters because that's what my Vet recommended.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Tom Cat

Clearly Dave is shopping with a more masculine perspective... He looks for "Clay" + "Unscented" in big block letters, I look for a cute cat on the label and a nice colour palette.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
Clearly Dave is shopping with a more masculine perspective... He looks for "Clay" + "Unscented" in big block letters, I look for a cute cat on the label and a nice colour palette.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingPup

Yes. I used to buy Yesterday's News at $20 a bag but discovered there was a litter called Good Mews that was the same thing and $10 a bag. It doesn't work that well but it's just there to absorb moisture. The clumping litter I buy is a grocery store brand that works just as well as any brand name cat litter but is $7 a huuuge 18kg box.

Trial and error! When I went searching all I knew was it couldn't have a scent and had to be mild dust. I tried an arm and hammer litter that smelled bloody terrible! And yet it said unscented but whoa, was it not. I've tried various other brands but the one I'm sticking with is a No Name brand simply called 'Unscented Scoopable Clumping Cat litter With Baking Soda' and I luvv it!

I'm highly allergic to dust so it's less dusty. Um, I think having scented litter actually makes the litterbox smell worse than the poo itself. It's also a very nice clumper. I tried another brand from Costco and it barely clumped at all. The pee stayed wet and when you tried to scoop it, it crumbled so I ended up using the entire thing in like a couple weeks. The Good Mews is made of newspaper/paper and not trees like the other ones I was looking at. I'm highly allergic to certain trees so the paper litter is awesome.

Does that answer yer questions?
yes this is a lot of help, thank you

Is there any benefit you can think of that a higher dust type of kitty litter has that you lose with a mild dust litter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page