Best toys for cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Best toys for cat?

Hi everyone!

New to the forum, though not to cats. Always one in the house growing up, both back in Russia, and here, as soon as my parents were able to get a house since we immigrated.

That was over a decade ago -- Recently I've moved out to my own place, and, of course, to make it a home -- got Mooky, a tiny grey & white shorthair from the NYC shelter. They said they found him on the doorstep that same morning -- a couple of weeks old they guessed. Skin and bones.

It's been incredible watching him grow up. He is around 7 months old now, and UNBELIEVABLY PLAYFUL. Seems to have some Siamese to him, in personality as well as looks. So this is where I get to the meat of this post -- sorry for the preamble!

What has been everyone's experience as far as toys for your cats? Mooky loves to play, but quickly gets bored of his toys. Won't smack the squeaky rat anymore. The feathered furry on a stretchy string that had been all the rage for two weeks hardly gets a swat, and that only after breaking a sweat waving it around like mad (and of course only while pretending that I have nothing to do with it, and it's just going on its own). And the jingly balls, around forty of which are holding up the fridge and the couch, don't even get a glance.

I suppose it's like kids -- you wouldn't give a teenager an Elmo doll or Play-doh.

So what do you give a clever cat who's grown out of his childhood toy chest?

What kinds of toys have you found most successful, in terms of being absorbing for the cat, and in longevity of keeping interest?

Andrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Best toys for cat?

My cats like the box that the toy comes in more than the toy most of the time!

A good box, a nice paper bag, it's the simple things. My cats have more fun when I play with them with the stick end of a wand toy. I have wrapping paper strewn around the living room, and I run the wand under the paper and they attack it. We've been playing that game for a few weeks now. And the cats will jump on the paper and make up their own imaginary games by themselves.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Tom Cat

Most people have better luck with toys if they take them out of circulation for a month or so at a time once kitty gets bored; once they bring them back it's like a whole new toy! So yes, my first suggestion would be to clear out those mouse and squeaky ball hovels and put the dangly birds away for awhile, try some new toys (my cat likes cardboard sticks to pounce on, Kong kickers, and scraps of carpet), and in a few months bring the old ones back into circulation!

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Jr. Cat

I would have to agree with the said above.

Finding everyday things lying about in your house like paper bags, plastic bags, cardboard boxes, other kind of boxes they can fit in, tissues, strings of yarn or fabric of some sort... even pieces of trash or crumbs laying on floor they will play with! They do tend to find things completely out of range of what we would call a "toy" that is enjoyable. Personally, my cats enjoy climbing and playing in boxes and the plastic bags... I have no clue why, they find it entertaining I guess!

A thing to try, especially if you don't have money to be buying toys all the time, get a string and tie it to a tissue- there's a toy! It won't last forever, but it good in while it lasts and cats love it when you drag stuff on the ground(from my experience).

It is good to rotate toys, I would imagine anyone would get tired of the same thing everyday.. mix it up for them.

I hope you find something for your cat to enjoy.

Heather~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Cat

Cardboard boxes are a favourite at my house. Tinfoil balls go over extremely well too.And of course, the laser pointer!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Jr. Cat

I have to say, despite the dozens or so toys I've bought for Artemisia since I adopted her three months ago, her absolute favorite is still a piece of string (with a big knot in it on one end to give it some weight).

This may not be true of all cats, but I find that she prefers "human-powered" toys (like the string I drag around in front of her or the ball I throw for her to chase) over "solo" toys.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cool! Interesting answers. Pretty much everything you've said has been true in my experience also, now that I think about it. Household stuff definitely seems to work well, tin foil balls like jeckel said, yarn, strings, boxes, etc. Mooky's been on a "catch" kick lately... got him a mouse with real fur and some sort of rattly stuff inside, which he loves to bring back when I throw it. I've never had a cat play catch before -- he'll get it out of the craziest places too.

He was also obsessed for a good week over a plastic tab that I tore off a dried peas package and accidentally dropped to the ground.

Has anyone ever gotten or made an elaborate toy for their cat? Something to test/challenge their intelligence, or something that they could spend lots of time with when you are away?

Andrey
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Kitten

We just bought our bored little girl one of those fur mice with the rattle inside, and she LOVES it! It cost $1.29 at PetSmart and I woke up this morning to her & it sleeping next to me. But I agree with everyone; household stuff works well. Mimi loves tissue paper or packing paper--she hides her toys under it and attacks them. Good luck keeping your baby occupied; they are as bad as kids!

Mommy to Miriel (Mimi, 7 months) and Vincent (Vince, 10.5 yrs)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Cat

if you saw my house youd swear i was packing up to move but hoarding a bunch of boxes. actually my cat just loves boxes! i have big ones, tiny ones, odd shaped ones, all sorts scattered throughout the house.

she likes cardboard so much, she likes to sit on the cardboard drink holders you get at the fast food resturant. something just says "sit on me" for her

azores also likes to play with shoe string, plastic bags and anything that can "contain" her. ive watched her try and stick her head in a brown bag and run clear across the room top speed till the wall stopped her lmao.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cool. Has anyone ever bought one of those really sophisticated/elaborate toys like the turbotrack, or the smartcat (peek-a-prize or something I think it's called?) Seems like overkill a bit, but then again my local pet store sells some serious contraptions that took me a while to even make heads or tails of when I was browsing. I'm not sure if Mooky will have the patience to get through the instructions manual on some of those...

Andrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page