Cat/Chip return after 3 1/2 years - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cat/Chip return after 3 1/2 years

Complete with a cat pic so it's worth reading

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0hGVbxbQ4

Our two daughters were heartbroken. We posted signs, combed the neighborhood and called the microchip registry to make sure she was on file. The days of her disappearance turned into weeks, months, then years.

Then one evening, a few weeks before Christmas, there was a knock at the door. A middle-aged woman stood there in the dark peering at us quizzically. "Have you lost a cat?" she asked. No, I replied, knowing that our three cats, now all kept permanently indoors, were safe and sound. "An orange-ish cat?" she persisted. "I found her in the Presidio." Our family gave each other startled looks and said in unison, "Dicey?" Indeed, it was.

Turns out, Dicey's guardian angel is a woman named Tina who feeds lost and hungry animals. One night, while putting out food less than a mile from our house, Tina spotted the famished and parasite-ridden Dicey shyly eyeing her.

After a few feeding sessions, Dicey trusted the kind stranger enough to be picked up. Tina took Dicey to a vet, where they scanned the identity chip and found our address. If you've ever wondered if microchips work, let Dicey set you straight.

Once tucked inside, safe and sound, Dicey didn't even give her former nemesis a second glance. Ripley is nothing compared with what she was up against in the great outdoors. Quickly re-establishing herself as queen of the house, Dicey is the first of our four kitties in line at the food bowl and has already put on 3 pounds.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat/Chip return after 3 1/2 years

Nice story!

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah, I'm home.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
The vet gave the woman their address....? Nice story, like chips, but that part creeped me out.
Perhaps the vet knew the woman and trusted her.

Happy you're home, Dicey. I wonder what stories you'd tell if you could speak human.

JusJim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, I'm so happy for you! This is truly a heartwarming story. I'm sure your daughter is overjoyed!

Privacy concerns yes, but if either of my microchipped pseudo-children were ever lost. I wouldn't care if people knew where I lived, as long as they were found and back home.

But yes, truly. It's never a bad idea to have both microchip and a collar tag. This story proves the microchip is a great idea that works.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

How wonderful that is for Dicey and family! What a heartwarming story.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Premier Cat

Most cats never make it home. What a great heartwarming story. The angels were watching over Dicey for her to survive like that! Thanks for posting this wonderful story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page